Total Knee replacement by Mako robot assist

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2023, 08:32 AM
Default Knee replacement

I had my knee done on Jan 14 from OptiMotion. They don’t use a robot but do the cut from the side. Healing time is much faster because they aren’t going through all the muscles and ligaments. They also invented their own parts. I was home the same day and physical therapy came the next day then 3 times a week for a month. The exercises they give you to do before the surgery and after are a must. The pain afterwards to be honest wasn’t that much different then the 3 yrs of pain before. They prescribe all the meds before hand and you take them with you the day of surgery so the can explain everything. I don’t like taking narcotics so only used the Percocet the first couple of days. I used a walker for 3 days and a cane for one. I was at the square after a week not dancing but pretty close. Rode my bike at 6 weeks. So glad I had it done and getting my other one done in December. They have an office in Brownwood and surgery is done in Orlando. I highly recommend them.
Old 04-16-2023, 08:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The most important part of any knee replacement is the after therapy.
If you do not put in the exercise, you will not get the full benefit of the replacement.
The surgery methods are getting better all the time.
Definitely, "No pain, no gain!"
I love my new knee, and recommend the replacement to anyone considering.
Sooner the better.
You are so right. I’ve had both knees replaced a number of years ago so it was not robotic, but the PT that follows makes all the difference in the success of a new joint. It is a painful process in the beginning, however if you expect to reap the benefit of your new joint please do the therapy. It is so worth it
Old 04-16-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
What Surgeons do this robotic surgery?
Dr. Jay Cook uses the Mako robot at Leesburg hospital and Dr John Williams uses the Rosa robot at The Village Hospital…similar technology just made by a different medical device manufacturer.
Old 04-16-2023, 03:28 PM

It all depends on the surgeon. I had mine done a couple years apart in Fort Lauderdale by Dr Burke. Done on Monday went home Tuesday with a walker. Use the walker Wednesday and switch to a cane Thursday and Friday. Threw the cane away Saturday and went out in the woods and shot sporting clays. We have for just a couple of months and I have full range of motion.
Old 04-19-2023, 05:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Ok .. if you like old school , that’s fine…what’s a half inch among friends
What exactly is the half inch you speak of, its certainly not for any partial, or total
Old 06-19-2023, 07:57 PM

" I was out of the hospital the same day, gingerly walking around, and doing home therapy right away. "

Was all your therapy at home ?
Closed Thread

Tags
knee, total, long, mako, replacement

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.