Transition Lenses..Good or Bad

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Default Transition Lenses..Good or Bad

Friends,

I would like to know from those of you who have or had Transition Lenses and what you think about them.
It's time for new glasses and I don't like changing from my regular glasses to my sunglasses all the time or else I forget the sunglasses. You perscription lense wearers know what I am talking about. Do they change back to normal quickly and are they really clear or have that smokey tint to them inside a room?

Thanks,
Cecelia
Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 PM

First thing we did when we moved to TV was buy transition lenses. The new ones are great and get dark enough so that you are not getting headaches from squinting in the sun. Takes a few minutes for them to adjust for indoors and they do not get as clear as regular lenses as they have a Slight tint but they are just what we needed. I seldom have a shirt pocket and did not want to carry two pairs of glasses anyway. Ever switch glasses to enter a store only to decide you want to leave and switch again. Not cheap for good transitions but well worth it.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 PM

I have worn Transitions for 4 years now and I love them. Like you, I got tired of the changing of the guard from regular to sunglasses, complete with forgetting a pair and being stuck with sunglasses trying to read a menu! Anyway, you know what a pain it is to carry two pairs of glasses with you.
As for the tinting indoors, it is so slight and subtle that you forget about it. It does take a few seconds when you get indoors for them to lighten up but it is an easy adjustment. You can pick between brown and gray tint to match your frames. I think you'll be pleased with them and no more carrying the other pair around!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

As the previous posts have said, I also have used transition lenses for 20 years and just love them. I don't have to carry around an xtra set of glasses and they function very well in the sun and in the shade. I would not purchase anything else.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Platinum member

I love mine.
They seem to take longer going from dark to light than light to dark. And, be aware, they are not going to darken while you are in the car.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
I love mine.
They seem to take longer going from dark to light than light to dark. And, be aware, they are not going to darken while you are in the car.
I was told that by my eye doctor but they do get darker in the car although not as dark as being outside. Does not matter much in my car as my windshield is dark enough to make it comfortable along with my glasses.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM

I've had my lenses for six years. I love them. You will need to adjust to wearing them, took me a week or two.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Gold member

Love mine also, yes, it does take a little getting used to.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Gold member

I love them as well. My biggest complaint was that they don't darken much inside the motor home or the car. I purchased frames that come with magnetic sun-glass "clip-on type" lenses. They don't clip on though, they stay attached using two round magnets that slip into two little round holes on your frames. The lens for the clip-on is exactly the same shape as your eyeglass lens. I LOVE them.

Xavier
Old 03-22-2011, 03:52 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I love them as well. My biggest complaint was that they don't darken much inside the motor home or the car. I purchased frames that come with magnetic sun-glass "clip-on type" lenses. They don't clip on though, they stay attached using two round magnets that slip into two little round holes on your frames. The lens for the clip-on is exactly the same shape as your eyeglass lens. I LOVE them.

Xavier
I have the same type and they work great. I wear transition lens when I play golf separate pair of glasses for golf. I need a dark sunglass in car and that is when I found the glasses with the magnetic clip on. I would have nothing else. If I could play golf wearing trifocals I would only need one pair of glasses and they would be the ones with the magnetic clip on.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

The transitionals I had never got dark enough, so I was still always changing to sun glasses, especially while driving.
I wore the magnetic sunglasses for years and love them.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Sage

I bought them anyway but this is what my Optometrist told me. They won't really darken in the car because the UV rays have to hit the lenses and the car's windows block most of them. Second was that in hot weather they aren't as effective as cold weather as temperature has a big influence on how much they change and the biggest complaint in northern climates is they get too dark. In my experience they don't get dark enough in summer or winter and are too slow to change when walking into a building.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I've worn transition lenses forever (so it seems) and I love them.
They do take a bit longer to go from light to dark (to lighten) but it's been a small issue.

I did notice the last glasses I got (Wal-Mart, good price) the lenses didn't get as dark. They said they were transition lenses, but I think it's wal-mart's version. Get the real deal.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I've worn transition lenses forever (so it seems) and I love them.
They do take a bit longer to go from light to dark (to lighten) but it's been a small issue.

I did notice the last glasses I got (Wal-Mart, good price) the lenses didn't get as dark. They said they were transition lenses, but I think it's wal-mart's version. Get the real deal.
I'd concur with this! I got glasses a number of years ago that were marketed as having "Transition Lenses".........and they quit 'transitioning' after about 2 years. Bummer. But I did get the magnetic "clip on" sunglasses with them so I'm still good to go. I just miss the transitions!! Time to get new glasses..........

As John said, "Get the real deal!"

Bill
Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 PM

I've had two pair of transitions, both in FL. Both lost their darkening after about 2 years. I checked on line and found that heat can cause this. My husband has not had that problem. I love the transitions but I am due for a new pair of glasses and will have a good talk with my optometrist before I buy transitions again.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.