Tricare Prime

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Platinum member
Default Tricare Prime

I received this from the National Guard Association of The United States. Scarey stuff.

DoD Plan Limits TRICARE Prime Coverage

Many TRICARE Prime policy holders in Iowa, Minnesota and Oregon, as well as in Reno, Nev., and Springfield, Mo., will lose benefits associated with that program in April.

They will likely shift to TRICARE Standard which requires greater out-of-pocket costs than Prime.

Army Times reported the change last week. The Pentagon would not confirm the areas affected, but a source told the newspaper it included those three states and two cities.

As many as 30,000 beneficiaries will be affected, the newspaper reported.

Pete Duffy, the NGAUS acting legislative director, said the move is "not in the best interests of our members and their families who will lose that coverage."

"This is another Pentagon cost-saving effort placed upon the backs of our members and their families," he said.

New regional contracts awarded by the Pentagon take effect April 1. The TRICARE West region will be under contract with United Health Federal Services, which was awarded the contract once held by TriWest Healthcare Alliance.

Under the contract, TRICARE Prime will be limited only to a 40-mile radius around military bases. This move saves money for the Pentagon by reducing contract administration costs and shifting costs of care to beneficiaries.

The newspaper says the Pentagon has been trying since 2007 to eliminate Prime coverage areas away from military installations. Such a plan was in the Defense Department's draft of a contract proposal, but it was not implemented because of a series of contract disputes.

The newspaper's report got the attention of Rep. Greg Walden, R-Ore., who is asking Dr. Jonathan Woodson, the assistant defense secretary for health affairs, to confirm the report and announce the Pentagon's plans publicly, the newspaper reported this week.

"These changes have a significant impact on the lives of TRICARE beneficiaries in my district, the state of Oregon and the TRICARE West region and affected service members and veterans should be made aware right away," Walden wrote in a letter to Woodson.

He told the newspaper that the plan would cause "undue hardships" on veterans, especially those who served in the Guard and Reserves
Old 10-25-2012, 03:53 PM

They have been talking about, threatening, etc, etc on Tri-Care Prime for months now and it does bear watching, however, I imagine most folks in the villages have Tri-Care for Life, and that seems to be in better shape to not be affected. In this day and age evrything is up for grabs, in my book. I still say that Medicare and Tri-Care for Life is an unbeatable combination, bar none.....
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
They have been talking about, threatening, etc, etc on Tri-Care Prime for months now and it does bear watching, however, I imagine most folks in the villages have Tri-Care for Life, and that seems to be in better shape to not be affected. In this day and age evrything is up for grabs, in my book. I still say that Medicare and Tri-Care for Life is an unbeatable combination, bar none.....
I agree 100%. What Medicare does not pay, Tri-Care for Life picks up. I wonder what will happen if there are Medicare cuts and Tri-Care ends up picking up more of the cost.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,033 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Tricare Prime ending in this area

Effective 30 September 2013 All tricare prime participants will be converted to Tricare Standard and Extra.

Media Center - PSA ZIP Code Look-Up
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.