The truth about fish oil

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Sage
Lightbulb The truth about fish oil

consider the benefits of fish oil — along with the toxins, side effects and sustainability issues.

The Villages Florida

Toxins can be a problem
Although the good omega-3s reside in the fatty tissue of fish, that is also the very place where environmental contaminates bioaccumulate, which means that oil derived from these tissues may contain high concentrations of environmental contaminants.

Heavy metals such as arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury come to us by way of industry and are not easily broken down, and thus end up throughout the environment at low levels, especially in fish. And fish oil. Adverse effects from ingesting heavy metals can include cognitive impairments, nervous system dysfunction, blindness, lack of coordination, deafness, development of certain cancers, irreversible liver and kidney damage and death.

Along with heavy metals, there are also other toxic compounds that bioaccumulate in fish. Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) can lead to skin problems, muscle spasms, chronic bronchitis and nervous system disorders; and dioxins and furans have been linked to a number of adverse health effects including skin, liver and immune system problems, endocrine and reproductive disruptions and the development of certain cancers.

One of the trickiest parts about navigating which fish to eat, for many people, is figuring out which fish have the least amount of toxins versus which fish are sustainable. To help with similar issues when selecting fish oil, you can check with the International Fish Oil Standards Program (IFOS) which is a third party toxin testing and accreditation program for omega-3 fish oil products.

Fish oil is served with a side of side effects
We generally don’t consider the impact of side effects with our nutritional supplements, you know, the things we take to make us healthier. But fish oil offers side effects in spades. Here is a list from the Mayo Clinic. (Just for fun, read them in the hushed, calming tone of an actor listing prescription drug side effects on a television commercial.)

Fish oil supplements may cause nausea, diarrhea, loose stools, decreased appetite, constipation, vomiting and fat in the stool. Gastrointestinal side effects may be minimized if fish oils are taken with meals and if doses are started low and gradually increased.

There are rare reports of mania in patients with bipolar disorder or major depression. Restlessness and formication (the sensation of ants crawling on the skin) have also been reported.

Other potential side effects include loss of short-term memory, headache, hemolytic anemia, depression, somatic disorders, increased risk of colon cancer, nasopharyngitis, worsening of asthma symptoms, decreased physical activity, increased appetite, increased blood pressure and an uncomfortable feeling.

Omega-3 fatty acids may increase blood sugar levels. Caution is advised in patients with diabetes or hypoglycemia, and for those taking drugs, herbs, or supplements that affect blood sugar. Blood glucose levels may need to be monitored by a qualified healthcare professional, including a pharmacist.

Omega-3 fatty acids may increase low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, may worsen symptoms for patients with ventricular tachycardia, may increase the risk of bleeding, and may decrease blood pressure.

Fish oil taken for many months may cause a deficiency of vitamin E and may increase the risk of vitamin A or D toxicity — so use large amounts cautiously.

Individuals at risk for hormone imbalance or those undergoing hormone replacement therapy should use cautiously, as decreased estrogen receptor production has been associated with fish oil supplementation.

Patients with asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, or liver disease, and patients at risk for colon cancer should use cautiously, based on potential adverse effects associated with fish oil use.

The moral of the story here: Check with your doctor before taking fish oil.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Sage

But when 4 different doctors recommend fish oil capsules for heart health, take them.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Sage

that's because they are not up to speed with the latest finding, they can & do more harm.

Think what to fish eat mostly........plants
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Gold member

Thanks for the info. I will stop taking my fish oil tablets now.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Sage

Please read this and if you are taking supplements on the advice of your physican, do not stop or increase dosage without consulting him or her.

Julie Chen, M.D.: Can We Take Too Much Fish Oil?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...tural/993.html
Old 02-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Please read this and if you are taking supplements on the advice of your physican, do not stop or increase dosage without consulting him or her.

Julie Chen, M.D.: Can We Take Too Much Fish Oil?

Fish oil: MedlinePlus Supplements
"Do not stop or increase dosage (fish oil) without consulting him or her (your doctor)". Good advise. The pro and con of taking fish oil reminds me of the bulls and bears of the stock market. You can find some really "bright" doctors on both sides----just as you can find really "bright" stock brokers on both sides of the "time to buy or time to sell" discussion. Bottom line---until I see more......I'm taking my fish oil everyday with the approval of my doctor.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:05 PM

You have to watch what brand you buy due to where they get their fish oil. I was told by a few doctors to buy Nordic Naturals.......purity and strict standards of Norwegian fish and shown not to be contaminated. Costs are a bit more but worth it.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
"Do not stop or increase dosage (fish oil) without consulting him or her (your doctor)". Good advise. The pro and con of taking fish oil reminds me of the bulls and bears of the stock market. You can find some really "bright" doctors on both sides----just as you can find really "bright" stock brokers on both sides of the "time to buy or time to sell" discussion. Bottom line---until I see more......I'm taking my fish oil everyday with the approval of my doctor.
Sweetie is taking a fish oil tablet every day as part of a research program under the direction of Harvard School of Medicine.

I believe it is making him even better looking.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sweetie is taking a fish oil tablet every day as part of a research program under the direction of Harvard School of Medicine.

I think your right Gracie, after seeing him at Crispers I gotta say hes pretty hot for a guy over 50.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM

When my husband takes fish oil, his triglycerides are lower. He did not believe fish oil really made a difference, so between his bloodwk tests last year - 3 months apart - he stopped taking it and his triglycerides went really high. He has a history of heart problems and it is impt to keep them low.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Veteran member
Default Jimbo

Jimbo . . . . Buddy . . . . you need a good Rib-Eye Steak.
It'll make you Regular and you'll go out with a smile on your face
See you at EP tomorrow night
Old 02-19-2013, 03:24 PM

For what it's worth, my doctor suggested last week I began talking it to lower cholestrol. Although he suggested krill oil instead of the regular fish oil. Mega Red is the brand name one. It is certified to only come from krill taken in Antarctic waters which is theoretically cleaner than most places on earth. I do notice it is 300mg. Some of the off brand stuff comes in much larger sizes. I can imagine that could really increase the dangers. I'm afraid we have a lot of people who think if one vitamin or supplement is good then two must be better. For some of the water-soluable stuff that's not much of a worry, but for all others, it is very dangerous to take more. It can overcome the liver and cause damage That may be the same thing here.

(krill are the tiny shrimp that whales live on)
Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubagirl2000 View Post
When my husband takes fish oil, his triglycerides are lower. He did not believe fish oil really made a difference, so between his bloodwk tests last year - 3 months apart - he stopped taking it and his triglycerides went really high. He has a history of heart problems and it is impt to keep them low.
If he has a history you folks should see the documentary Forks over Knives, that risk can be greatly diminished if you pay attention to the details in the movie.

U can get a copy at Barnes & Nobel, it may be the best $$ U ever spent.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-4 Skyhawk View Post
Jimbo . . . . Buddy . . . . you need a good Rib-Eye Steak. you'll go out with a smile on your face
the problem with that idea my friend is that smile will come sooner rather than later.

Oh as far as regular.....do you mean regular visits to the drug store to have scripts filled
Old 02-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Boy Howdy---been wondering why I've been getting more attention lately!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.