TV Watching Help for Deaf

Old 02-01-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Streamers for newbies 101:

Most hearing aides now come with bluetooth technology. Just like apple ear buds and others, your hearing aides can connect directly to a device's audio system without the need for external speakers.

With a TV or Computer, however, you still need a device that provides that connection. That device has a bunch of different names, but is usually referred to as a streamer box or streaming device. The box is around the size of your palm, and has two wires: one plugs into the TV's USB port and the other plugs into the audio jack. The device itself can be placed on the TV cabinet, and mine came with velcro so I have mine stuck under the surface of my computer desk (My device is attached to my computer, not my TV).

Then, you can "pair" your hearing aides with your TV set, and the sound will automatically be sent directly to the hearing aides instead of the speakers.

Apparently some sets can have sound coming to both - ears and speakers. But as someone who uses my streamer exclusively and has actually experimented - there's a miniscule delay between the two. Which means if you are streaming into your ears while the speaker of the TV is audible, you might have even worse trouble listening to the sound because it's coming from too many different places, and not *exactly* at the same time.

The "solution" to the above problem is: the person with the hearing aides gets the volume. And turn down the speaker volume on the TV, and turn on closed captioning. Then YOU, the hearing-enabled loved one, can watch TV, read the closed captioning, and be able to sort of hear the speakers, but at a low volume. Because you are hearing enabled, you will have a much easier time of matching low-volume sounds with words on the screen than someone who has the sound coming from their own ears, while looking across the room at the TV set.
Great explanation, thank you so much. I have one concern, I checked the feedback for these on Amazon and it is not good. Evidently, if they work, people think they are incredible, but there are some bad comments about them breaking down almost immediately. I am going to call the company and see what they have to say.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
Great explanation, thank you so much. I have one concern, I checked the feedback for these on Amazon and it is not good. Evidently, if they work, people think they are incredible, but there are some bad comments about them breaking down almost immediately. I am going to call the company and see what they have to say.
I don't know about the Oticon ones but my Phonak connector has an app for my phone that I can use to adjust the sound to filter out the external TV sound that causes the delay. I can hear the streaming but not anything else in the room. I have to take the hearing aids out or disconnect the connector (on my phone) if I want to hear someone speak. I have been using this for a couple of years now with no problem. You can't carry on a conversation but you can hear everything on TV.
Old 02-01-2024, 01:44 PM

Probably showing my ignorance, but as you both wear hearing aids, although both different manufacturers, perhaps the more techy posters will know if possible both aids can be 'Bluetoothed' at the same time to the single tv?
Old 02-01-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesimonsaid View Post
Probably showing my ignorance, but as you both wear hearing aids, although both different manufacturers, perhaps the more techy posters will know if possible both aids can be 'Bluetoothed' at the same time to the single tv?
To clarify, my husband is deaf. I can hear a pin drop at a hundred yards. Oldtimer evidently is deaf and was helping me, and Orangeblossombaby was giving me some technical information.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:27 PM

Quote:
To clarify, my husband is deaf. I can hear a pin drop at a hundred yards. Oldtimer evidently is deaf and was helping me, and Orangeblossombaby was giving me some technical information.
Sorry. Looking at oldtimers post replying to you.Now see he wears Phonak, not you. Age thing!
Old 02-02-2024, 04:57 AM
Veteran member

There are many adapters where a person can connect listening devices. The problem is once that is done the sound from the TV is diverted to these devices which means anyone other person in the room will be watching without sound. There is a work around, I get my entertainment through streaming.
Which permits me to get what I want to watch on my computer.
If you have this type of system purchase the person who has the hearing impairment a tablet, which will permit them to sit with their friends or family in the same room watching the same program.
Them watching on the TV and the impaired on the tablet.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:12 AM

You mentioned that your husband uses Oticon hearing aids. You also mentioned that you were surprised the audiologist did not offer the streaming options others have suggested.

As already pointed out, Oticon is a top-line manufacturer and has several options for using streaming and TV adaptors. One of the references went directly to an Oticon page that described them.

The larger problem, I think, is the quality of the audiologist. If they just sold you an expensive set of hearing aids, and then didn't work toward the totality of the hearing loss problems, they are definitely not doing their job. FIND ANOTHER audiologist! (keep reading)

Dr. Cliff Olson is an audiologist who has a YouTube channel that helps educate people about the hearing aid industry. One of his main topics is that of BEST PRACTICES. Watch a 6 minute video to see what he means. He has a long list of what good audiologists should do, and maintains a list of audiologists who actually offer the services that comply with the best practices he recommends.

One of those audiologists is right here in The Villages, Dr. Al Turri, who practices at the Brownwood Ctr for Advanced Healthcare. He listens to his customers and does everything within his capability to solve their problems. He is also prescribes and favors Oticon devices. Even though he has a preference for Oticon, I had a specific reason for wanting Phonak devices and Dr. Turri listened to why I wanted them and did a superb job of making them work very well. I'm sure the could help with your husband's Oticons. Best practices are the key, and the practices are actually more important than the brand.

If it truly the case that your husband's audiologist didn't get into streaming options and TV listening options, please consider changing to Dr. Turri.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:55 AM
Default Hearing aids

Hi. I received hearing aids from the VA. I also received a device that hooks to the tv so the audio plays in my hearing aids. At The same time my wife can hear the tv normally through the speakers. Contact me at iamrlhayes@gmail.com.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:06 AM
Location: Chicago area but spend a month every year in The Villages
Default Hearing Problem

Agree with the recommendation on closed captioning on the TV. We love it. Works especially well on the British shows with the tougher accents.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
This thread is what I love about TOTV. So much REAL help. Oldtimes, thank you. I had actually just found this from their website and if it works as described it should do exactly what he needs. I, too, am surprised she did not mention this to me and when I bring him for his next appointment I will bring it to her attention. I think I am more surprised that this little box is not included with the initial package, the hearing aids were certainly expensive enough to have included this and the remote control which will do the same thing.

I needed to find a way for him to watch TV because I am losing him into isolation and possibly early dementia. So thank you to all who gave their time to help me. If I have problems I might be back for more help.
Watching TV does not stimulate the brain. If that is all the stimulation he gets it may actually speed up the slide into dementia.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird45 View Post
There are many adapters where a person can connect listening devices. The problem is once that is done the sound from the TV is diverted to these devices which means anyone other person in the room will be watching without sound. There is a work around, I get my entertainment through streaming.
Which permits me to get what I want to watch on my computer.
If you have this type of system purchase the person who has the hearing impairment a tablet, which will permit them to sit with their friends or family in the same room watching the same program.
Them watching on the TV and the impaired on the tablet.
That is not true. I get sound from my connector and we still get sound from the speakers. I think it depends on the TV.
Old 02-02-2024, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
You mentioned that your husband uses Oticon hearing aids. You also mentioned that you were surprised the audiologist did not offer the streaming options others have suggested.

As already pointed out, Oticon is a top-line manufacturer and has several options for using streaming and TV adaptors. One of the references went directly to an Oticon page that described them.

The larger problem, I think, is the quality of the audiologist. If they just sold you an expensive set of hearing aids, and then didn't work toward the totality of the hearing loss problems, they are definitely not doing their job. FIND ANOTHER audiologist! (keep reading)

Dr. Cliff Olson is an audiologist who has a YouTube channel that helps educate people about the hearing aid industry. One of his main topics is that of BEST PRACTICES. Watch a 6 minute video to see what he means. He has a long list of what good audiologists should do, and maintains a list of audiologists who actually offer the services that comply with the best practices he recommends.

One of those audiologists is right here in The Villages, Dr. Al Turri, who practices at the Brownwood Ctr for Advanced Healthcare. He listens to his customers and does everything within his capability to solve their problems. He is also prescribes and favors Oticon devices. Even though he has a preference for Oticon, I had a specific reason for wanting Phonak devices and Dr. Turri listened to why I wanted them and did a superb job of making them work very well. I'm sure the could help with your husband's Oticons. Best practices are the key, and the practices are actually more important than the brand.

If it truly the case that your husband's audiologist didn't get into streaming options and TV listening options, please consider changing to Dr. Turri.
I agree, my audiologist described all options and showed me how to use them.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:59 AM

Oticon has a device available that connects directly to the TV and Blue tooths the sound directly into your ears and therefore eliminates any background noise and allows for control of the person with the hearing aids without the volume being increased for others.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:20 AM

New TVs have speakers aimed at the back wall. My audiologist suggested getting rid of surround sound and getting a sound bar by ZVOX. They have models that can link with hearing aids. Noticed a big difference in the clarity of voice.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:44 AM
Default tv

I am like him costco makes great hearing aids I joined just for that. At any rate they have this little sender I plug in the tv and sounds goes straight to my hearing aid and I have my own volume control and understand talk my wife gets the regular sound. His brand probably has something like that go back where you got em

Tags
deaf, aids, hearing, problem, disappearing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.