Unfortunately the villages hospital

Old 01-23-2024, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Guess again. Medical care in immediate Villages area is lacking, contract Drs and RNS is not what I’m looking for at this point in my life.
Third world country medical care in the area of the villages, and in large areas of FL

FL is one of the highest fraud perpetrating locales in the USA, medical industry is not immune to fraud.
Old 01-23-2024, 10:44 PM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

I go to AdventHealth Care in Tavares which is only about 20 miles from here. The hospital gets excellent reviews (see below).

AdventHealth Care Center Waterman in Tavares received an overall rating from CMS of 4 stars compared to the FL average of 3.48 and a National average of 3.32.

AdventHealth Care Center Waterman was also reviewed by Medicare to have a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Patients gave an overall rating of 91 out of 100. Furthermore, patients would rate this hospital 91 out of 100 in terms of recommending others receive care at this facility.

Relative to other hospitals nationally, the cost is lower at AdventHealth Waterman. At this facility, they have 468 providers across 41 primary specialties.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbirdtobe View Post
Unfortunately the villages hospital has returned to one star status in CMS (Medicare).
I was surprised and happy when TVH moved to 2 stars on the medicare.gov website but it fell back to 1 star.
Many people will say yes but TVH has more old people and snowbirds than other places.
To that I say look at other hospitals that have great ratings within 100 miles of TV. There are 5 star hospitals in Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne and Jacksonville 4 star hospitals in Tampa and Gainesville.
I don’t understand how Medicare rates hospitals but the closest 3 star hospitals are in Ocala and Tavares and I have taken myself and friends that needed care to both of them.

One star better than no star or no hospital.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Third world country medical care in the area of the villages, and in large areas of FL

FL is one of the highest fraud perpetrating locales in the USA, medical industry is not immune to fraud.
Maybe cause all fraudsters moving in and continuing their careers?
Old 01-24-2024, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
I am very glad we have it here. How many lives have been saved. I was in there twice and treated very well. I am alive because they were there. I don't care how many stars they get.
When I was there in 2013 for a severe medical emergency, I had excellent emergency care. I am only alive today because of the doctors and nurses who were on duty that day. Thank you.
Old 01-24-2024, 09:51 AM
Gold member

One thing I've found in life is that ratings are mostly bull. I've found this on cruise ratings (raters said the ship was "old and tired" which I found to be the opposite), hotel ratings (wildly different than my experience) and places like Yelp, which I've found to be totally unreliable on several occasions. Haven't we all at one time or another been pressured by a salesman or manager to give the business the full five stars in our ratings? It's no different for hospitals. Rely on your own experience or from trusted friends, and even then, your experience may be quite different. I had my gall bladder removed from the local hospital in mid-2023, and it was a very complicated problem with severe blockages, and my experience was great. Nurse care was outstanding, my surgeon was competent and had a good bedside manner, and the hospital itself was clean and neat. Your experience may be different.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Dam, those are good experiences compared to what I went through at that hell hole. Got there around noon and was discharged after midnight without any care except for an IV of fluids, a total misdiagnosis, given a script for drugs I didn’t need, and sent out the door to drive myself home in a golf cart while on my death bed. When I finally managed to get to a real hospital in Gainesville, they took one look at me and immediately put me into critical care and proceeded to save my life. All the incompetent idiots had to do was look at my blood oxygen level and red blood cell count and they would have realized I was basically drowning on land. An average first year resident could have figured that out in minutes, but not anyone at the Villages Hospital in over 12 hours.
Tophcha: I remember your posting about the horrible experience you went through at the time. And the misdiagnosis. It seems you had a dangerous tick-borne disease that you had brought from Massachusetts and they couldn't figure it out and it never occurred to them to send you someplace where it could be figured out. That is just scary.
Old 01-24-2024, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Hospital ratings are based on comparisons. If a five star hospital has a 1% complication rate, a three star has 5%, and your hospital has a 10% complication rate it is doing poorly. But keep in mind that still means 90% of people did not have a complication and will be here talking about their excellent experience.

It is those kinds of differences across many criteria that got the local hospital its 1 one star rating. Most patients do well but too many, compared to other hospitals do not get quality care.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Hospital ratings are based on comparisons. If a five star hospital has a 1% complication rate, a three star has 5%, and your hospital has a 10% complication rate it is doing poorly. But keep in mind that still means 90% of people did not have a complication and will be here talking about their excellent experience.

It is those kinds of differences across many criteria that got the local hospital its 1 one star rating. Most patients do well but too many, compared to other hospitals do not get quality care.
well typed!
Old 01-24-2024, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Tophcha: I remember your posting about the horrible experience you went through at the time. And the misdiagnosis. It seems you had a dangerous tick-borne disease that you had brought from Massachusetts and they couldn't figure it out and it never occurred to them to send you someplace where it could be figured out. That is just scary.
That is correct, I got bit by a tick in Massachusetts sometime in late April or early May before returning to the Villages. The tick was kind enough to infect me with two infectious diseases, Babesiosis and Lyme disease. By around the Memorial Day Weekend the symptoms began to rear their ugly heads and got worse by the day until early June when I made the horrible mistake of going to the Villages Hospital. Babesiosis is a blood parasite that exponentially multiplies and blows up red blood cells, which carry oxygen throughout one’s body. The only thing close to Babesiosis is Malaria. As the parasites destroy red blood cells, the body’s essential organs become deprived of oxygen (hemolytic anemia). My kidneys and liver were failing, I couldn’t think straight, and my spleen was about to explode from filtering so many dead red blood cells. I was drowning on land. After over 12 hours in the Villages Hospital they erroneously concluded I had a unitary track infection and gave me a script for an antibiotic and sent me packing.

I am a very reasonable person and didn’t expect them to know what was making me gravely ill, but the incompetent idiots have no excuse for not recognizing my red blood cell count was critically low, my blood oxygen was practically nonexistent, and I was on my death bed. There is no excuse for anyplace calling themselves a hospital to be so grossly negligent. There isn’t a low enough rating I could give that place. If I didn’t get to a real hospital in Gainesville in short order I was a dead man.

Tags
hospitals, star, beach, tvh, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.