Unfortunately the villages hospital

Old 10-25-2023, 11:36 AM
Default Unfortunately the villages hospital

Unfortunately the villages hospital has returned to one star status in CMS (Medicare).
I was surprised and happy when TVH moved to 2 stars on the medicare.gov website but it fell back to 1 star.
Many people will say yes but TVH has more old people and snowbirds than other places.
To that I say look at other hospitals that have great ratings within 100 miles of TV. There are 5 star hospitals in Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne and Jacksonville 4 star hospitals in Tampa and Gainesville.
I don’t understand how Medicare rates hospitals but the closest 3 star hospitals are in Ocala and Tavares and I have taken myself and friends that needed care to both of them.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Very disappointing
Old 10-25-2023, 01:18 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

I am very glad we have it here. How many lives have been saved. I was in there twice and treated very well. I am alive because they were there. I don't care how many stars they get.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:36 PM

Medicare rates hospitals based on a variety of measures across 5 areas of quality into a single star rating for each hospital. The 5 measure groups include: Mortality, Safety of care, Readmission, Patient experience, and Timely and effective care. The overall rating shows how well each hospital performed on an identified set of quality measures compared to other hospitals in the U.S.

It would make sense that The Villages Hospital would have a higher Mortality and readmission rate than a normal hospital due to the average age of their patients. Not sure what safety of care encompasses or how it can be rated. I also know that there have been some issues with the ER at Villages Hospital as it relates to insufficient staff to handle demand. Hopefully, it is getting better. However, I will say that I had surgery at the Villages Hospital a couple of months ago and I was impressed with their overall process, the caring and attentive staff, attention to detail, and the overall care that I received during my stay. It was excellent. It was as good or even better than what I recieved in Jacksonville.

Bottom line for me, I am not sure the Medicare ratings are fair to a hospital that specializes in a single age group, no matter what that age group is!
Old 10-25-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
I am very glad we have it here. How many lives have been saved. I was in there twice and treated very well. I am alive because they were there. I don't care how many stars they get.
Your experience is an isolated one compared to the large amounts of data that is used to arrive at the 1 star rating. I'm not good with math- but for example- for every person like you who might give them a top rating, there may be 10 who give it a low rating. These 10 low ratings are important in determining what the potential outcome might be for future visitors. Our hospital up North had a terrible reputation in our community- with people saying things like, "I wouldn't bring my dog there". But in the 55 years I and my family used it we had nothing but excellent care- they even saved my life.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

My wife was in there twice. Other than long wait in emergency I have no complains. Most all other emergency hospitals we enter was long wait also.
Old 10-25-2023, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
Your experience is an isolated one compared to the large amounts of data that is used to arrive at the 1 star rating. I'm not good with math- but for example- for every person like you who might give them a top rating, there may be 10 who give it a low rating. These 10 low ratings are important in determining what the potential outcome might be for future visitors. Our hospital up North had a terrible reputation in our community- with people saying things like, "I wouldn't bring my dog there". But in the 55 years I and my family used it we had nothing but excellent care- they even saved my life.
We have also had positive experiences at TV Hospital and know of positive experiences at Leesburg. Since Shands and TV and Leesburg are owned by the came Company (UF Health), and people can skew statistics I will continue to use my personal experience to guide me.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-25-2023, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Based on my experience at the Village’s Hospital, a rating of 1 is very generous. On the other hand, I couldn’t give a high enough rating to the North Florida Regional Medical Center in Gainesville. The treatment I got at the two hospitals was like the difference between hell and heaven. North Florida Regional Medical Center managed to save my life despite the Village Hospital’s best efforts to kill me.
Old 10-26-2023, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

Data is several years and does not reflect a hospitals “current” operation.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:28 AM

Some seem to think the rating is based on customer feedback like Amazon or the like. What is actually measured is: 1) Mortality; 2) Safety of care; 3) Readmission; 4) Patient experience; and 5) Timely and effective care
Old 10-26-2023, 06:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,322 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The treatment I got at the two hospitals was like the difference between hell and heaven. North Florida Regional Medical Center managed to save my life despite the Village Hospital’s best efforts to kill me.
Can you provide more details as to what the difference was?
Old 10-26-2023, 06:36 AM

The switch to back 1 star occurred since April 2023.
In April the POA had an article that showed a 2 star rating and hospital has fallen back to one star. I will continue to drive past TVH to seek care.
I have been to the HCA ER in Summerfield on 441 and the wait time was less than 5 min!
Old 10-26-2023, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbirdtobe View Post
Unfortunately the villages hospital has returned to one star status in CMS (Medicare).
I was surprised and happy when TVH moved to 2 stars on the medicare.gov website but it fell back to 1 star.
Many people will say yes but TVH has more old people and snowbirds than other places.
To that I say look at other hospitals that have great ratings within 100 miles of TV. There are 5 star hospitals in Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne and Jacksonville 4 star hospitals in Tampa and Gainesville.
I don’t understand how Medicare rates hospitals but the closest 3 star hospitals are in Ocala and Tavares and I have taken myself and friends that needed care to both of them.
If UF is involved it pretty much sucks that's the baseline
Old 10-26-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbirdtobe View Post
To that I say look at other
hospitals that have great ratings within 100 miles of TV. There are 5 star hospitals in Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, Melbourne and Jacksonville 4 star hospitals in Tampa and Gainesville.
My mother has been there since Monday morning and she has received AWESOME care from AWESOME staff!! My family is extremely satisfied with the quality of care our mother is receiving at this hospital. My experience with UF here, for mom, and as a patient myself in Gainesville has been top notch!
Old 10-26-2023, 07:42 AM

First hand experience with the ER, it is not only the long wait and limited communication with the hospital staff you also deal with apathy. When I last went to the ER I decided to give them a chance to see if it really improved like we were told by the insert in the newspaper by the CEO of the hospital. After waiting four hours to get an x-ray and than another hour waiting for results we were told we could go. The staff walk around like zombies not acting if they care about the patient. The man next to me finally said he was leaving and walked out. When the nurse came out I told her that her patient left and her response was "Oh Well". Our nurse forgot to remove my iv from my arm. I got half way home and realized that I had the iv still in my arm. I thought there is no way I am going back to that place. I so much wanted the ER to be improved, one star is being generous, however I will never go to the village hospital again for emergency services. It is a shame since they are at the best location for all of us in the villages. Final thought, they may be under staffed but there is no reason that the two nurses I dealt with made me feel as if they didn't care if I lived or died. There is no need for apathy from the nursing staff.

Tags
hospitals, star, beach, tvh, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.