Urgent care vs ER

Old 04-23-2024, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,542 Times in 3,117 Posts

So this morning, you look on ToTV for advice on helping your wife, who cut herself "the other day." Not even necessarily "yesterday" - I'll go ahead and state - it's not an emergency.

So you can rule out an ER.

There are a lot of Urgent Care facilities within and surrounding The Villages. I suggest you run a google search and base your decision on the one that's closest to you, that's open when you decide to bring her in.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:52 AM
Veteran member

American Urgent Care on 466A in Wildwood is THE BEST!! OR if you need an ER, go to a free standing one either on 44 across from Brownwood OR on 466A next to the Trailwinds shopping. You don't say where you live, so can't help you to the nearest. Either ER is exceptional.
Old 04-24-2024, 05:03 AM

YES----American Urgent Care in Wildwood is the BEST. Dr. Muhammad is wonderful. He came from Tampa and was nominated as one of the best 100 doctors in the United States. No long wait, has great help. Google "American Urgent Care in Wildwood, FL" to get the website to see everything they do.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob04090 View Post
We are snowbirds and my wife cut herself the other day. Our insurance only covers urgent care or ER visits. Can anyone suggest a good urgent care facility?
I am a nurse & ER’s should ONLY be used for LIFE THREATENING events or after hours of urgent care facilities. Our ER has greatly improved since University of Florida Health has bought & staffed it. Urgent care facilities are springing up all over (as are stand alone ER’s.) That all being said, your 1st call should be to your insurance to find out who is in network & what the costs to you will be. Then find the closest to you, as you don’t want to be driving far for “urgent” care. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:43 AM
Default Fast

Always fast not much of a line and has a Dr or PA there - my go to for everything except where I want history like blood work or regular checkups

601 Gray Ave Wildwood, FL

AMERICAN URGENT CARE & WALK-IN - Updated April 2024 - 26 Reviews - 601 Gray Ave, Wildwood, Florida - Urgent Care - Phone Number - Yelp
Old 04-24-2024, 06:44 AM

I'm told that Medicare won't pay for ER if you've already been to Urgent Care, so be careful which you choose. I thought I had sprained my ankle, but it wasn't getting better after a week. I then went to Urgent Care where they took an x-ray, told me the bone was broken, and that I need to see an orthopedic doc ASAP to determine if I needed surgery. Naturally, it was a 3 week wait, minimum, to get into an ortho. And the ER wouldn't see me since I had already been to Urgent Care. I really felt 'stuck'.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
We are snowbirds and my wife cut herself the other day. Our insurance only covers urgent care or ER visits. Can anyone suggest a good urgent care facility?

We have used twice MD Now Urgent Care and very good service so far:

805 CR-466 W
Lady Lake, FL 32159
Old 04-24-2024, 07:19 AM
Default Save the ER visit for life threatening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan86 View Post
I can’t give you a care report, only a “convenience report”. MinuteClinic on 466 is in network for my insurance (non-Medicare). I was easily able to book, change and ultimately cancel my appointment online. Easy text reminders etc. I improved quickly and decided to not seek a medical consultation. However I’ll attempt again if I need to. There appeared to be ample appointment times either next or second day. If you are a Villages Health patient there is also an expedited/urgent care system available. Good luck with it all
Urgent Cares facilities were established to take the load off of Emergency Rooms. Urgent Cares are for cough, colds, cuts, minor sprains, straind and the like. Emergency Rooms are for life threatening situations - heart attacks, major trauma, strokes, amputations, cardiac arrests…well you get the picture, right. I’m a retired ER RN and can tell you that you will get better and more prompt care for the little inconveniences in your life as listed above.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:21 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,073 Times in 537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
If the insurance covers ER visits, why go to urgent care? Go to UF The Villages Hospital ER. Wait may be longer but better option imo...
ERs are for "emergencies" it's in the name. If someone cut themselves "the other day" and writes a post to ask knowing the answer is coming the next day, it hardly qualifies as an emergency.

It's abusing the system.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:27 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,871 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I have had to use urgent care two times since moving to the Villages.

First was on 466 just west of Rolling Acres Road.

Lady Lake Urgent Care
805 Co Rd. 466,
Lady Lake
352-674-9218

The second was on 466A just west of Powell.

American Urgent Care.... - Americanurgentcare

Both of these were good.

I thought I had Covid so I called the Villages and they said that they couldn't see me for three months! I called Lady Lake Urgent Care and they saw me that evening.

For American Urgent care, I had pains in my stomach so I called them. They saw me that afternoon and I got a prescription and the pain was gone the next day.
In February, a friend of mine returned from a cruise and that very day was hit hard by both Covid and Influenza. She stopped at some urgent care place in the area and was tested positive, but the doctor and the nurse practitioner she saw both refused to prescribe Paxlovid for the Covid because they didn’t believe in it. What? I took it a month earlier, and apart from the nasty taste in my mouth for the five days I took it, it was like a miracle drug. I felt much better within four hours. My friend, who is disabled, was sick in bed for a couple weeks, and the chest congestion turned into pneumonia. All told, she was unable to work for three weeks, even though she works from home. All because the doctor believed gossip about Paxlovid.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:59 AM

I used CVS minute clinic last week and was very pleased with convenience of making appt and the care given. When you can’t get into your GP for two weeks it’s nice having a place like this. Less waiting too.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,122 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
In February, a friend of mine returned from a cruise and that very day was hit hard by both Covid and Influenza. She stopped at some urgent care place in the area and was tested positive, but the doctor and the nurse practitioner she saw both refused to prescribe Paxlovid for the Covid because they didn’t believe in it. What? I took it a month earlier, and apart from the nasty taste in my mouth for the five days I took it, it was like a miracle drug. I felt much better within four hours. My friend, who is disabled, was sick in bed for a couple weeks, and the chest congestion turned into pneumonia. All told, she was unable to work for three weeks, even though she works from home. All because the doctor believed gossip about Paxlovid.
Hard to believe they would refuse paxlovid as they did not believe in it. Both my wife and I had it for covid and it is a marvelous drug.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Consider yourself lucky, I waited 12 1/2 hours to be misdiagnosed and discharged to drive myself home after midnight while on my death bed.
Yet here you are still alive and typing away. Driving while on your deathbed? Do you care so little for the other people on the road? You might have hurt someone.

Last edited by flkayaker; 04-24-2024 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Added data
Old 04-24-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I recommend you go to your health insurance web site and see which urgent cares are in your plan as there are so many around here. That would make your billing a lot easier. If they have a triage nurse on call, that's always a good idea first and they will recommend which facility to go to, especially if it might require emergency care.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:49 AM

Are you from Canada or have an Advantage Plan?

Tags
urgent, care, good, suggest, visits

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.