Using olive oil because you think it's healthy, it's time to think again!

Closed Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I forgot I also eat 4 or 5 eggs in a nice cheese omelet with onions every day for lunch which is the first meal of my day.
Now we know you're playing with us.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Ok what tests?

MRI 256 slice
Cardioid duplex
Heart echo
Stress with dye
calcium coronary scores
carotid artery ultrasound
CT angiograph

and many many more
Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Now we know you're playing with us.
Sure whatever you think
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

My wife reminds me once every 2 years I also get cardiac catheterization as part of the study
Old 04-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Sage

I think your playing, never heard of anyone eationg that bad with no meds in perfect health.
But if not, when you get a 256 slice and that's negative then you can say your clean.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
pooh: Help me here. Based on your aforementioned comments what are your thoughts on a Harvard health Study done some years ago wherein medical people defined three types of people Excretors,Compensators and Storers of cholestrol. The first type passed cholestrol through the system. the second group balanced the amiubt of cholestrol taken with that which was produced by the body and eliminated the excess. The third group well their system just liked cholestrol so much it stored all it could get. This article made sense to me. It also occurred to me that something could upset this balance and compensators could become storers.
What I read from Dr. Dean Ornish is that people are born with different numbers of cholesterol receptors. Some people may only have a few while others have many. The more you have, the better able you will be to quickly dispose of excess cholesterol.

What it means for people at risk: Some people, with stubornly high cholesterol, will have to work harder at eating healthier. (Tough luck, life isn't fair.)
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I forgot I also eat 4 or 5 eggs in a nice cheese omelet with onions every day for lunch which is the first meal of my day.
You know cantwaittoarrive he most difficult daily decision for retiress is"what will I have for breakfast? Eggs are one of my favorite foods.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I think your playing, never heard of anyone eationg that bad with no meds in perfect health.
But if not, when you get a 256 slice and that's negative then you can say your clean.
Sure I will let my doc running the study know some person on a internet forum says their wrong.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
You know cantwaittoarrive he most difficult daily decision for retiress is"what will I have for breakfast? Eggs are one of my favorite foods.
mine too!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
What I read from Dr. Dean Ornish is that people are born with different numbers of cholesterol receptors. Some people may only have a few while others have many. The more you have, the better able you will be to quickly dispose of excess cholesterol.

What it means for people at risk: Some people, with stubornly high cholesterol, will have to work harder at eating healthier. (Tough luck, life isn't fair.)
As I have always said people are different. What is good for one might kill someone else. This is why they use many subjects in a study and not just one. You're also right life isn't fair. I would never tell anyone they should follow what I do or eat. Everyone is different. This is also why people should work with their doctor to determine what is healthy for them.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-30-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-30-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Default olive oil

this artical is not true.

Quote:
Rich Olive Oil, impairs endothelial function after eating. If you've been using olive oil because you think it's healthy, it's time to think again.

Here's Why You May Want to Think Twice About Olive Oil

From Dr. Dean Ornish: It's 100% fat and 14% of it is saturated. At 120 calories a tablespoon it's very easy to eat too much of "a bad thing". It won't raise your LDL as much as butter or other saturated fats will, so it might look like it's reducing your cholesterol, but it's still raising it. It's just not raising it as much other fats would! It's the omega-3's that reduce inflammation and are "heart healthy", and olive oil has very little omega-3, maybe 1%. It's mostly omega-9, which has been shown to impair blood vessel function.

From Dr. Robert Vogel of the University of Maryland: Back in 2000 Vogel based his study on the Lyon Heart Study, which is the big-time study that got us all to eat the Mediterranean Diet. He wanted to see how olive oil, salmon (fish oil) and canola oil actually affect the blood vessels. Using the brachial artery tourniquet test he had 10 healthy volunteers with normal cholesterol ingest 50 grams of fat, in the form of olive oil & bread, canola oil & bread, and salmon. Measuring their arterial blood flow before & after each meal Vogel could tell whether or not a meal was causing damage to the endothelial lining of the brachial artery, based on how the blood was flowing through the artery after the meal was eaten. The results really surprised him. The olive oil constricted blood flow by a whopping 31% after the meal; the canola oil constricted it by 10%; and the salmon reduced it by only 2%. Why should we care? Because when the arteries constrict, the endothelium (the vessel's lining) is injured, triggering plaque build-up, or atherosclerosis. Vogel RA. Corretti MC. Plotnick GD. The postprandial effect of components of the Mediterranean diet on endothelial function. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 36(5):1455-60, 2000 Nov 1. Similar results have been found it later studies. This isn't just a one-hit wonder. Interestingly, walnuts, which have Omega-3's have also been shown to improve blood flow by 24% using the brachial artery tourniquet test. Go omega 3's!

How does olive oil constrict blood vessels?: Dr. Vogel discovered back in 1999 that a high fat meal blocks the endothelium's ability to produce that all important NITRIC OXIDE, which is a vasodilator and critical to preserving the tone & health of our blood vessels. When olive oil constricts the blood vessels it's because it's blocking the production of nitric oxide. Not a good thing!

From Dr. Caldwell Esseltsyn: Dr. E tells a story in his book about Rev. William Valentine of North Carolina who had a quintuple bypass in 1990. Since his surgery he followed a strict plant-based diet, dropping from 210 pounds to 156 pounds. For 14 years he maintained his weight & his diet. But by 2004 he started to experience a recurrence of angina, especially when he exercised. He promptly contacted Dr. Esselstyn after reading about his success in reversing heart disease in a health newsletter. Valentine wanted no part of a repeat bypass or other intervention. He assured Dr. E that he only ate whole grains, legumes, vegetable & fruit. A baffled Dr. E prompted him to repeat once again everything he was eating, leaving nothing out.

"He had forgotten to mention that he was consuming "heart healthy" olive oil at every lunch and dinner and in salads. It was what they call a Eureka moment. Immediately, I advised him to give up the olive oil. He did--and within seven weeks, his angina had completely disappeared." Dr. Esselstyn

Little known fact: Olive oil, which got its big "heart healthy" start with the Lyon Study, wasn't even used in the study. The study volunteers didn't like the taste of it, so canola oil was substituted for olive oil. All the benefit that we attributed to olive oil, was actually from Omega-3 enriched canola oil.

What does Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn advise?: When it comes to olive oil, canola or any oil--FORGET ABOUT IT.

He does advise taking a tablespoon of flaxseed every day for omega 3's.

We have been on an oil free diet almost three years, the results have been nothing short of amazing BP decreased no more need for those meds.

Plaque was reduced so significantly the tests were deemed incorrect and repeated.

Only to find they were in fact correct.

On salads for instance we have different types of balsamic vinegar rather than balsamic vinaigrette, the vinaigrette has oil.

this artical is not true.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Sage

Really, what's not true, please don't make broad statement like that, meaningless don't U think?
Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-30-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.