VA medical clinics and hospitals

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 AM
Question VA medical clinics and hospitals

I was told that there are VA clinics at TV, what are your opinions? Are there VA hospitals in the area as well?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

A new VA clinic is here in the Villages and it is top notch. Also, the VA hospital is in Gainesville about one hour and a half from the Villages. My husband has had the best care. Shands Hospital is world known and is across the street from the VA Hospital and the doctors and nurses practice at the VA. You couldn't live in a better location for VA benefits.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 AM

Thank you
Old 01-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Default VA Clinic

Question, I never really knew what it takes for you or your wife to be able to go to the VA clinic or Hospital. I was a vet but never served in a war zone but did serve in Navy during 62 to 68. So served during a war but not directly on the soil.

aj
Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Unhappy

I am a 70% service connected disabled combat veteran and was receiving regular care by the VA in Ohio. I went to the new VA facility in The Villages in September, just before their grand opening to see about getting an appointment as my meds were getting close to requiring refill and I desired to continue the care I had become used to. I presented my VA identification card, copies of my most recent disability determination, and my DD Fm 214. I was politely advised that they would take my information but not to expect to hear from them for at least 4 months. I have around 30-45 days of prescription coverage remaining and the four months is about up, so I'll be checking on the status shortly. Fortunately I have medicare and other insurance so I am not in a real bind health wise, but to think that I could rely on the VA, as in the past, has been a huge disappointment. I read all of the newspaper articles about how the VA has made marked improvements in recent years, I also noticed the kudos in the Daily Sun about the local facility, but neither has proven themselves for me. If I don't receive a favorable response locally I'll try Gainsville next, but I don't envy the trip. That has been my experience, to date.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Default Villages "VA" Medical

My limited experience with the VA medical center at The Villages occured during our recent LSP in late Nov 2010. We left with all of my VA medications, however, I needed a refill while on our LSP. We were greeted at the entrance! I nearly walked back outside to ensure I was entering a VA facality. The staff was helpful and I was able to get a refill. This came with a significant amount of patience but I was a visiting disabled Vet from Philadelphia and my refill request was completed the next day.
The staff is still being built through nationwide job-fills within the VA system, it will take time to fill all staff positions before this will be a top notch facility, but, in time, it will happen.
To grade the facility compared to others is unfair but I'll give my cut on it. Norfolk, Va. was #1 for me but, when I started in the system I was still on active duty as a Master Chief and doors opened wide for me. We then moved to Philadelphia where the service is equally as good, however, it is less than comfortable at my age taking the train, the inner city bus, then making my way to and from the VA Medical Center.
My advice, we all need exercise a little patience with the new facility. I personally look forward to riding my cart to the VA Medical Center at The Villages. No train, no subway, and no inner city bus, just a kind greeting at the door.
Finally, if in the event a few of us have to make a trip to the Va Medical Centers at Orlando, Gainsville or Tampa, lets make a day of it, I'll drive on the first run beginning June of 2011.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:48 PM
nkrifats

Welcome to The Villages Master Chief.
Can't say I will need the ride as I have not been able to use the VA. Strictly Tricare for Life and Medicare.

Maybe our path will cross here in the villages.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Hubby, retired military with a disability went to an audiologist in TV to inquire about hearing aids and this wonderful doctor suggested that he try the VA that would be less costly. Bill had never signed up for the VA so this was all new to him.

Bill did go to the VA here in TV just days before they moved into their new building and he was extremely pleased with the service, competance and dedication of the staff. He's received the BEST medical care there and also was able to receive his hearing aids ....no charge. Not only that!!! A few weeks later, he received in the snail mail from the VA a package of a year's supply of batteries for his hearing aids; no charge.

We give The Villages VA facility a five-star rating.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Sage

Is it true that to use VA you have to have a net worth of less than $80K?

(I did see recently that the average US net worth was around $65K)

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-16-2011, 01:13 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post

That sounds very unlikely, however, suggest that you contact the TV VA at Mulberry new offices, they're so very helpful.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 01-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

The VA Clinic in TV is top notch BUT many of it's personnel are new and not all that familiar with procedures. This can result in some real BS (which we all know means Bureaucratic Stuff). There are two good ways to address BS within the system. The first is to see a Patient Advocate at the clinic and explain the situation. That usually resolved in-clinic problems and most in-system problems. The second is to visit the Veterans Services Office in the Sumter County Government Annex Building (the new one on 466A) and ask the Veterans Service Officer for assistance. You will find them most helpful.

One other note, on the Gainesville VA Hospital. The VA Clinic in TV can't do everything so sometimes you get appointments at the VA Hospital in Gainesville. FYI, the DAV offers a FREE daily van ride to and from the VA Hospital in Gainesville for Vets with appointments (and a caregiver, if you need one). To schedule a ride on the van, call the DAV Dispatcher at 352-674-5099.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Default Crossed paths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrifats View Post
Welcome to The Villages Master Chief.
Can't say I will need the ride as I have not been able to use the VA. Strictly Tricare for Life and Medicare.

Maybe our path will cross here in the villages.
I spent alot of time in Mayport, 86-90, working on the Forrestal and Saratoga. I was part of the Air-Lant traveling team for carriers from Norfolk. Often after long days on CV-59 and 60 many of the team could be found doing hard time at the Mayport CPO club. Take care shipmate.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post

There are income and net worth qualifiers for some veterans.
Veterans are placed in priority groups, from Priority 1, which is for vets with a 50% or more service connected disability to Priority 8. I think Priority 7 and 8 have to pay copays for medications and possibly treatment. There maybe an income disaqualifer for Priority 7 & 8.
You can get detailed information on the VA website, VA.Gov or you can visit the veterans service office at their new location at the corner of 466A and Powell Rd. Their phone number is 352-689-4450.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 PM

A 10% service related disability is a priority 3. FYI, there is a waiting list of 800 people to transfer to The Villages VA. I just got on the list.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsew22 View Post
A 10% service related disability is a priority 3. FYI, there is a waiting list of 800 people to transfer to The Villages VA. I just got on the list.
As a 100% service connected vet I'm a Priority 1. As a snowbird I had to make a choice as to where I would have my primary care. After visiting The Villages clinic I decided to keep my primary up north. The Villages clinic is new, modern and still in its infancy. It'll be great someday but it's nowhere near fully staffed right now.
Had I decided to transfer my primary care to TV, I too would have been on a waiting list for a primary care doc.
While down here if I need medical help I was told to go to the urgent care dept. at the local clinic
Those with service connected disabilities can always get treatment for those issues regardless of where their primary care physician is located.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.