Village health- complain about ins. change

Closed Thread
Old 07-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Thank you for this excellent post. You sound like many of the physicians I worked with over my long career as a Registered Nurse. Many a holiday or weekend I would need to call in the OR for a surgery that could not wait. Snow storms and ice on the road did not matter. That OR team would come. This is the level of dedication I expected from TVH. Dedication to the health care of a senior population. What a foolish old nurse was I. I will begin to search for another doctor. But I know I will not find the likes of you sir.
Nor will too many be able to find a nurse as great as yourself.

You have my utmost admiration.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
First, read post #21 regarding the ethics and caring of the providers
Second, stay healthy

Third, are you saying that you received a letter from TVH stating that no matter what changes they made to their accepted insurances, no matter what changes YOUR insurance company made with regards to TVH (including, by the way, denying participation totally), and no matter what changes came down in national health care policy from Washington, D.C., that they would forever and in perpetuity accept the insurance plan that YOU had at the time you enrolled? If so, I'd love to see THAT letter, then donate it to the Smithsonian as a one of a kind, unique correspondence unparalleled in the history of healthcare.

Fourth, once again no patient is being "dumped", it's certain insurances that are being dumped. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm in the same boat as everyone else. And if you do jump down my throat, I plan on regurgitating you anyway
Your sarcasm is less than appreciated regarding a subject that affects many of us so deeply. There is a level of dedication in health care that is required, that obviously TVH does not possess. This event casts a dark cloud over this community and the powers that be.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Your sarcasm is less than appreciated regarding a subject that affects many of us so deeply. There is a level of dedication in health care that is required, that obviously TVH does not possess. This event casts a dark cloud over this community and the powers that be.
There is a dark cloud over this community. The Villages Health Care's decision to accept only one Medicare insurance plan and reject all others has stirred up the beginnings of a tremendous storm. Many people I talk to are are very angry and disappointed. I know I am.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for this excellent post. You sound like many of the physicians I worked with over my long career as a Registered Nurse. Many a holiday or weekend I would need to call in the OR for a surgery that could not wait. Snow storms and ice on the road did not matter. That OR team would come. This is the level of dedication I expected from TVH. Dedication to the health care of a senior population. What a foolish old nurse was I. I will begin to search for another doctor. But I know I will not find the likes of you sir.
Quote:

Sorry, but after a long career as a nurse , you of all people, more than most, SHOULD appreciate my "sarcasm". Like you, there were many late nights and holidays that I had to go to the ER at 3 AM to admit a patient in a blizzard. It did not matter who it was; one time it was the mayor, the next an inmate from the state prison. Ability to pay, insurance, or social status did not matter. You, I, and the retired surgeon above share many of the same experiences and same level of dedication.

Perhaps I was not clear in my prior posts.
Like everyone else, I have to make the same decision as to keeping medicare with supplement or changing to TV UHC advantage plan. I disagree with the decision to limit their patient panel to a single insurance as well, but it is their decision to make.

My problem with many of the posts , including yours, is that the blame for this ADMINISTRATIVE decision is being put on employee physicians who had no part in the decision, and then are being labelled as "uncaring", "greedy" and now apparently "undedicated". I don't understand how anyone can come to that conclusion. Are the nurses and nurse practitioners "uncaring", "greedy" and "undedicated" as well???? They are part of the same system, and had just as little to do with this decision as the doctors.
My doctor at TVH and I practiced together for 30 years. He was my patient for 30 years, now I am his. He was right there at 3 AM, at 20 below zero, admitting the same inmates and mayors that I was. I respect your dedication, please do not question his, nor anyone else who had no part in this decision.

PS. I didn't see a response regarding the letter you received.

Last edited by golfing eagles; 07-22-2016 at 03:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I read the links you posted. It says USF pulled out because they didn't make the money they thought they would.

Lowenkron's sued for money that his contract said was his according to your link. That was a year's salary at USF. He must be a smart fellow.
Better read the first article again. Read paragraph 3 in the first article which states there are concerns "that the same doctor (Lowenkron)who presided over the start and end of the university's venture is now working for the Villages Health."

Lowenkron ran a failed business plan that cost his employer over $5 million. USF pulled out because it was a money losing plan, to the tune of a $2 million loss, that Lowenkron presided over while at USF.

Further in the article it mentions Dr Elliot Susan, now also employed by Villages Health, as a paid consultant on the Villages USF project. Guess his work as a consultant on a failed business plan made him another prime candidate for employment in The Villages health system.

No doubt, not one but two "smart fellows"!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:19 AM
Platinum member

My Doctor is getting 15 requests a day for appointments for new folks looking for a doctor. They are scheduling appointments into December.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Sage

It appears that about 30% of Medicare eligible people enroll in a Medicare Advantage Plan. I have no idea how that relates to The Villages Health but I thought I would share it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
My Doctor is getting 15 requests a day for appointments for new folks looking for a doctor. They are scheduling appointments into December.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:24 AM

My wife Has recently contacted a rare form of cancer. She will be 65 next month. As a patient of Colony Healthcare she is being dumped on July31. Although she love her colony Doctor has been great in helping us,however now we desperately need a general Physican. We are also working with the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins medical people. My issue is United health cares advange program is useless to us for inurance and the developer has lied to us. I will eber trust anything these two enties say again.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Angry Village Health

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo11 View Post
Village Heath is keeping track of complaints being voiced by the change in health ins coverage. I went up to the front desk & asked if they are keeping track. My name & reason for the complaint was recorded. I have Medicare & supplemental as part of my retirement, which is paid for & I can't switch. My partner, who is not 65 would also lose coverage if I switched.
I think it is important not to be silent! Voice your concern & have it be counted!
Old 07-22-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Sorry, but after a long career as a nurse , you of all people, more than most, SHOULD appreciate my "sarcasm". Like you, there were many late nights and holidays that I had to go to the ER at 3 AM to admit a patient in a blizzard. It did not matter who it was; one time it was the mayor, the next an inmate from the state prison. Ability to pay, insurance, or social status did not matter. You, I, and the retired surgeon above share many of the same experiences and same level of dedication.

Perhaps I was not clear in my prior posts.
Like everyone else, I have to make the same decision as to keeping medicare with supplement or changing to TV UHC advantage plan. I disagree with the decision to limit their patient panel to a single insurance as well, but it is their decision to make.

My problem with many of the posts , including yours, is that the blame for this ADMINISTRATIVE decision is being put on employee physicians who had no part in the decision, and then are being labelled as "uncaring", "greedy" and now apparently "undedicated". I don't understand how anyone can come to that conclusion. Are the nurses and nurse practitioners "uncaring", "greedy" and "undedicated" as well???? They are part of the same system, and had just as little to do with this decision as the doctors.
My doctor at TVH and I practiced together for 30 years. He was my patient for 30 years, now I am his. He was right there at 3 AM, at 20 below zero, admitting the same inmates and mayors that I was. I respect your dedication, please do not question his, nor anyone else who had no part in this decision.

PS. I didn't see a response regarding the letter you received.
I do not blame the stuff physicians at all. I don't think I said that. I blame the powers that be that made a promise they did not keep. In health care we must go the extra mile. I believe most feel let down. Some one noted in a recent post that they will never believe anything here again. I still feel that TVH should have honored those that are already their patients and grandfathered them in. From here on in United. Regarding the letter it just stated that there was a plan for a change in health care providers, but we would be grandfathered. No contract. Just their good word. Like I said,I'm a foolish old nurse who thought I was dealing with people who kept their word.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
I do not blame the stuff physicians at all. I don't think I said that. I blame the powers that be that made a promise they did not keep. In health care we must go the extra mile. I believe most feel let down. Some one noted in a recent post that they will never believe anything here again. I still feel that TVH should have honored those that are already their patients and grandfathered them in. From here on in United. Regarding the letter it just stated that there was a plan for a change in health care providers, but we would be grandfathered. No contract. Just their good word. Like I said,I'm a foolish old nurse who thought I was dealing with people who kept their word.

So in your nursing career, your employers NEVER changed accepted insurances? That is very rare. I've never actually ever heard of that before.

Everyone mentions this "grandfather" clause but I have yet to see a copy of the letter promising that. Can't imagine all the people who claim to have been TOLD they were grandfathered and not one asked for it in writing.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
In that case, my apologies. If you review the posts on the 6 or 7 threads that have been covering this topic, I'll think you'll find more than a few references to the physicians being "greedy" and "uncaring", which is way out of line, especially since I have known 2 of them for 30 years. Is TVH administration greedy and uncaring? Maybe, but how many businesses aren't? Like many, I disagree with their decision, especially the part that does not grandfather existing patients. Let's face it, if they take the long view, in 20 or 30 years they won't have to deal with those of us with traditional Medicare, myself included. I also think this was a horrible time for them to make such a huge decision, given that national healthcare policy might take a drastic about face come Jan 20,2017. They are taking a calculated financial risk, but I'm sure they looked at it thoroughly. I'm equally sure UHC did not get exclusivity and the use of the trademarked "The Villages" name without paying a significant royalty, which would limit their risk.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
So in your nursing career, your employers NEVER changed accepted insurances? That is very rare. I've never actually ever heard of that before.

Everyone mentions this "grandfather" clause but I have yet to see a copy of the letter promising that. Can't imagine all the people who claim to have been TOLD they were grandfathered and not one asked for it in writing.
If everyone mentions it maybe it is true. Sorry to bother you with our concerns. You are obviously not affected by this major insurance change. This is not a case of a medical practice not accepting one or two insurance plans for its over 65 Medicare population, but this practice is rejecting all Medicare plans except the United Health Care Advantage plan. That is a huge change and highly disruptive to the over 14,000 patients of TVH who recently received their "Dear John letters."
Old 07-22-2016, 07:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Exactly! They were not responsible care givers as you said. If they were, they would have cared about their patients first. I had received a letter a while back stating I would be grandfathered. TVH should honor that promise to their existing patients. Honor the promise to Those you rallied from the beginning. Honor your promise to Those that supported you from day one. We understand that there needs to be different business decisions from this point, but honor the promise you made as an ethical, caring health care provider. TVH has darkened it's' image and that reflects on TV community and the developer.
There is not some magical bottomless pot of money to spread over every new turn and twist in the new world of medical economics created by our Dear Leaders in Washington because they know best .

My guess would be that it must be a nightmare to be the Chief Financial Office of such a practice as The Villages Health Care System .

I doubt that they have done anything to be sinister , sneaky , or mean-spirited .

The majority allowed Washington to take over the entire health care system and now we get to deal with how ineffective government is when it enters what should be left to the workings of free enterprise .
Elections have consequences . The government officials are not our parents . They can`t come close to balancing the Federal Budget so why do you think that they would do an excellent job with the Health care System .
Old 07-23-2016, 07:32 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:

Please post a copy of that letter that promised you would be "grandfathered". Proof of that would go a long way to making some of these claims believable. So far, NO ONE has provided anything that verifies these claims.
Closed Thread

Tags
village, coverage, ins, change, tract

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.