Villages Health Care Clinics: Long term relationship with doctor

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Sage
Default Villages Health Care Clinics: Long term relationship with doctor

The Marcus Welby model calls for a long term doctor/patient relationship so that the doctor gets to know the patient really well. This is supposed to lead to better disease prevention and medical treatment of illness. And this is what has been suggested by The Villages Health Care Clinics.

But they are now accepting those who belong to Preferred Care Partners. The very nature of HMOs is that people change from one plan to another as financial benefits change. I don't see that as being conducive to any long term relationship. Are they saying one thing and doing another?

They can say, "if you switch plans that's your fault; don't switch to another plan. But I chose Preferred Care Partners simply because they refund the monthly medicare premium. If they stop refunding it, and some other plan beats their deal, I would be foolish not to switch plans. But then I would lose the long term doctor/patient relationship.

I suspect that The Villages Health Care Clinics (and WellCare) will try to get as many patients from Preferred Care Partners as they can, and then they will eventually stop refunding the medicare premium. That would represent a loss to each member patient of $1,200.00 per year. And by that time there will be few other choices to switch to as most people will belong to The Villages Health Care Clinics. And perhaps the clinics will have absorbed all the best doctors (brain drain). My current doctor may not survive in this environment where everyone is being sold on joining one of the clinics. It's as though we are about to play the game of "musical chairs".
Old 08-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Sage

Your thoughts are quite creative and imaginative, but purely wild speculation. You imply that there is a sinister master plan to squeeze money out of patients.

WOW!

Fortunately for you, there are other choices for primary care. You may choose them and avoid the consequences that you put forth.

Good luck with your primary care.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Your thoughts are quite creative and imaginative, but purely wild speculation. You imply that there is a sinister master plan to squeeze money out of patients.

WOW!

Fortunately for you, there are other choices for primary care. You may choose them and avoid the consequences that you put forth.

Good luck with your primary care.
No, my thoughts are not "purely wild speculation". My thoughts are based on past experience with HMOs. I have been in HMOs for the past eight years and in order to keep the (nearly) full medicare refund, I have had to switch plans about 4 times. Different plans raise or lower the rebate based on whether or not they need to attract more customers.

"Sinister master plan to squeeze money out of patients" is totally your characterization of what I said.

To further elaborate: I like my current doctor and his office is convenient to where I live (withing a few blocks). But he may be put out of business if all of his HMO patients switch over to The Villages Clinics. If that happens, I will try to get into The Villages Clinics. Although, there may be a waiting list by that time? Then if Preferred Care Parteners withdraws the rebate, like they once did, I'll be looking for another doctor, another plan. Not a happy thought.

The fact that they keep promoting the Marcus Welby model of long term doctor/patient relationships seems to run contrary to including HMO customers. It's just my observation and it sort of fits in with the fact that large corporations are in business to make money, period. There's nothing sinister about that fact, it's just a fact. I'm just thinking out loud, voicing my opinion/observation, and trying to separate the PR from what actually might happen.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,513 Times in 1,912 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
The Marcus Welby model calls for a long term doctor/patient relationship so that the doctor gets to know the patient really well. This is supposed to lead to better disease prevention and medical treatment of illness. And this is what has been suggested by The Villages Health Care Clinics.

But they are now accepting those who belong to Preferred Care Partners. The very nature of HMOs is that people change from one plan to another as financial benefits change. I don't see that as being conducive to any long term relationship. Are they saying one thing and doing another?

They can say, "if you switch plans that's your fault; don't switch to another plan. But I chose Preferred Care Partners simply because they refund the monthly medicare premium. If they stop refunding it, and some other plan beats their deal, I would be foolish not to switch plans. But then I would lose the long term doctor/patient relationship.

I suspect that The Villages Health Care Clinics (and WellCare) will try to get as many patients from Preferred Care Partners as they can, and then they will eventually stop refunding the medicare premium. That would represent a loss to each member patient of $1,200.00 per year. And by that time there will be few other choices to switch to as most people will belong to The Villages Health Care Clinics. And perhaps the clinics will have absorbed all the best doctors (brain drain). My current doctor may not survive in this environment where everyone is being sold on joining one of the clinics. It's as though we are about to play the game of "musical chairs".
There is absolutely no reason for you to worry about this issue. Because you are on this diet, you will outlive any doctor you consult.

Now. That's settled.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Sage

Worrying about "what if's" and what "might happen" just takes the joy and happiness out of what "is"!!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There is absolutely no reason for you to worry about this issue. Because you are on this diet, you will outlive any doctor you consult.Now. That's settled.
Quote:
NotGolfer: Worrying about "what if's" and what "might happen" just takes the joy and happiness out of what "is"!!
That's not fair, it's two against one! Okay, okay, I won't worry anymore. I'll just take it one step at a time. Anyway, Gracie, you're right, it's not as though I have a health condition or anything. I'm in good health and I need to remember that.

Thanks for the good advice.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Sage

I think you need to worry more about the "affordable health care act" taking away the benefits of PCP rather than United Health Care. It's a cash cow for them - why would they want to do away with it. The government currently pays them about $600-$700 a month to take care of you. Why would they want to give that up???
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.