The Villages Heath Care - Upsetting Experience

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2018, 07:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful2 View Post
I write this, only to let others know what they might be facing, should they choose to use The Villages Health Care:

I have an excellent Blue Cross/Blue Shield policy which allows me to go just about anywhere for medical services. When I moved here several years ago, I began seeing a wonderful doctor at The Villages Health Care. Fortunately, I have been blessed with good health and have only needed to see my doctor for semi-annual check-ups. Recently, I needed to postpone my 6 month check-up, due to a family emergency. (I called and canceled my appointment 4 days prior.) When I asked for a new appointment date, I was told that the doctor has no openings for 7 months!!! While I fully expected that I might need to wait a few weeks for another appointment date, I find a 7 month wait to be outrageous and unacceptable for an established patient. Needless to say, I have found another doctor ...not in The Villages Health Care.
Good for you HOPEFUL2! Sounds like this Dr. was strickly there for the money & not his patients. Why would this Dr. expect you to wait 7 months. To me it sounds like he had to see "X" amount of patients ever day for 210 days. I think his receptionist was trying to pressure you not to miss your appointment. I'm in a family with 6 Drs. so being in the family for 48 yrs. you get to hear a lot of them talk about their patients & this is one of the subjects I've heard them talk about before.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
The Villages Healthcare does not accept BCBS unless you are under 65 and not on Medicare. Are you ? Otherwise you maybe using the term Villages Healthcare to mean any medical facility inside The Villages. By the way if you are a member of The Villages Healthcare you would never wait 7 months for an appointment. If you are sick they will jump through hoops to get you in that same day. Your story does not compute with my experience.
Can't believe he would of made this up. Even if it's what you said, I bet you if you had an issue that Dr. would of sent him to where he's licences to go to, THE VILLAGES!
Old 01-29-2018, 07:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
We've been with The Villages Health-care system since it began about 5 or 6 yrs ago and never have had a problem. We've always been seen the same day, if we needed an app't because we were sick. IF not with our primary, with another that's equally as good!

Are you under 65 with your BCBS? They don't take that ins. unless you are but I've never heard of them making folks wait months to be seen!
Yes they take BCBS I have it but it's a secondary Ins. and they will take it because I've had 2 different Drs. use it. Maybe some Drs. don't, but that's what you got to ask before you get treated.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
It's good to see every responder setting the record straight. Probably the only doctors with a 7 month wait are dermatologists in Beverly Hills! You can be seen at TVH the same day if you are ill, maybe by a different doctor or NP, but they will do everything to accommodate you.
Perhaps there was a highly unusual circumstance. Could the primary care MD be on the verge of a 6 month sabbatical? Could it be a female physician who needed 6 months off for a high risk pregnancy? Could the doc need prolonged medical treatment of their own? But barring such unusual conditions, 7 months is not likely, nor is 7 weeks or even 7 days. Seven hours is more likely.
I hope the OP is happy with their new doctor. Of course, if he/she is a solo practitioner, the chances of a long wait are exponentially higher.
If it was true what he said, this Dr. either had way to many patients or this Dr. was strickly into making a lot of money!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:37 AM
Send a message via AIM to Emmakrock@yahoo.com

We Recently went To an F plan after a terrible experience with my Husband...it’s ok if your healthy. But I pray you never have to experience what we did. Remember the health care system is just the physician you will pay 20 percent of all other services until you meet your deductible. Same as regular Medicare.ps The hospital is not owned by the the health care system but Florida Health . Just be aware of what you have. It may be great for many. We just had friends that went to Ocala and had a good experience. We will miss our Dr, but not the system.

Last edited by Emmakrock@yahoo.com; 01-29-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:46 AM

The first appointment I was offered recently was July! I agree... outrageous!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've been with TV Health Care under Medicare Advantage for the past 2-1/2 years. In 2016 I had a severe cold that wouldn't go away, I sent an instant message to my doctor at Pinellas and they replied to go to Lake Imaging and get an MRI. The next day they called and asked me to come in, they said I had pneumonia and prescribed antibiotics and strong cough syrup.

In 2017 I sent a message to my doctor that my back was feeling bad, that it was a pain to stand for any length of time. Once again they sent me to Lake Imaging and I meet the doctor a couple of days later and they said I had degenerative disc disease in my lower back. They offered a referral to a surgeon in Ocala or suggested alternative treatments.

I have to say, for having zero premiums, my care and check ups and overall treatment is superior than anything I've had before. I've sent instant messages on their website to my doctor on a few other occasions and had doctor visits every six months.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:08 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I've been with TV Health Care under Medicare Advantage for the past 2-1/2 years. In 2016 I had a severe cold that wouldn't go away, I sent an instant message to my doctor at Pinellas and they replied to go to Lake Imaging and get an MRI. The next day they called and asked me to come in, they said I had pneumonia and prescribed antibiotics and strong cough syrup.

In 2017 I sent a message to my doctor that my back was feeling bad, that it was a pain to stand for any length of time. Once again they sent me to Lake Imaging and I meet the doctor a couple of days later and they said I had degenerative disc disease in my lower back. They offered a referral to a surgeon in Ocala or suggested alternative treatments.

I have to say, for having zero premiums, my care and check ups and overall treatment is superior than anything I've had before. I've sent instant messages on their website to my doctor on a few other occasions and had doctor visits every six months.
I think that technology rocks and that we are going to need to see it implemented a lot more. Kudos to your doctor for embracing it.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
If it was true what he said, this Dr. either had way to many patients or this Dr. was strickly into making a lot of money!
I am sorry but I have to disagree with you on several points. I think that you are confusing The Villages Health Care System, with Health Care in The Villages.

One is a separate group, established by The Villages that can be used if you have the right insurance. There are plenty of M.D.s practicing in this area that are not associated with The Villages Health Care System. There are many, many choices to be made here in The Villages not only for a PCP but for many other specialties as well. It is much the same as the place that all used to live.

My friends who use The Villages Health Care all say wonderful things about it. They don't take our insurance or rather our insurance doesn't interact with them. We have amazing doctors that are not part of the Villages Health Care System with full rights to TVRH .
Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 AM

Coming from NY one of our concerns was the reports of poor healthcare, our fear was alleviated joining The Villages Health Plan.
We have been with The Villages Health Plan since it's inception and have had nothing but positive experiences. At any time if my wife or I are feeling ill and think we need to see our doctor, we make a call to the office and they have always found time in the SAME day to see us.
Ron Goldman
Old 01-29-2018, 10:19 AM

The reason that the Villages Health does not accept BC&BS is the reason my wife and I found great Health Care elsewhere. The Villages Health stopped accepting BC&BS (Florida Blue) last year and forced us to change. Glad we did.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:34 AM

I agree with all the others. Please do not jump on the "trash the villages health care system wagon". When you follow the easy procedures, I have found the system works great. The people are very accomodating and can see you quickly if the need arises.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
OK, time for a reality check. The primary care docs in TVH are limited to a patient panel of 1200, they allot 30 min for a routine visit and 1 hour for a new patient, and are on salary, so it doesn't matter how many visits they have. So much for too many patients and "making a lot of money"
As far as seeing the PA goes, that is what allows TVH to see a sick patient the same day and the doctor to keep on schedule. Unlike many physician offices, I'll bet the average time in the waiting room is less than 5 minutes. The PA is under the direct supervision of a MD, and they have scope of practice protocols they must follow. My doctor has been my friend for 30 years, we practiced in the same group in NY, in fact, I was HIS doctor for 30 years. Yet, if I call today with an acute illness, I have every expectation that I will be seeing the PA. There is nothing wrong with that----if there was no role for physician extenders, they wouldn't exist.
Lastly, if a patient called me and wanted me to order an MRI, I would LMAO. Medicine is not a Chinese restaurant where the patient can pick one test from column A and 2 from column B---it takes many years of education and experience to evaluate a problem and choose the right tests. And BTW, who on this planet orders a MRI for pneumonia???? It is NOT indicated, it is a total waste of time and money.
Sorry, but I found many of the last 20 posts far beyond left field, more like in a different stadium.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
The reason that the Villages Health does not accept BC&BS is the reason my wife and I found great Health Care elsewhere. The Villages Health stopped accepting BC&BS (Florida Blue) last year and forced us to change. Glad we did.
Sorry, but they did not "force" you to do anything. They gave you a choice---keep your physician or keep your insurance. It was 100% your decision. BTW, physician offices dropping and adding insurance plans happens millions of times each year across the country, nobody was targeting you.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OK, time for a reality check. The primary care docs in TVH are limited to a patient panel of 1200, they allot 30 min for a routine visit and 1 hour for a new patient, and are on salary, so it doesn't matter how many visits they have. So much for too many patients and "making a lot of money"

As far as seeing the PA goes, that is what allows TVH to see a sick patient the same day and the doctor to keep on schedule. Unlike many physician offices, I'll bet the average time in the waiting room is less than 5 minutes. The PA is under the direct supervision of a MD, and they have scope of practice protocols they must follow. My doctor has been my friend for 30 years, we practiced in the same group in NY, in fact, I was HIS doctor for 30 years. Yet, if I call today with an acute illness, I have every expectation that I will be seeing the PA. There is nothing wrong with that----if there was no role for physician extenders, they wouldn't exist.

Lastly, if a patient called me and wanted me to order an MRI, I would LMAO. Medicine is not a Chinese restaurant where the patient can pick one test from column A and 2 from column B---it takes many years of education and experience to evaluate a problem and choose the right tests. And BTW, who on this planet orders a MRI for pneumonia???? It is NOT indicated, it is a total waste of time and money.

Sorry, but I found many of the last 20 posts far beyond left field, more like in a different stadium.

So they won’t be going to the SuperBowl, will they. GE please visit the current thread about TV hospital. We have some crossovers missing some details on ERs. (Good to hear from you again.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tags
health, doctor, care, appointment, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.