Villages Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2016, 12:40 PM
GreenHornet
Default Villages Hospital

Eleven Urologist associated with Advanced
Urology Institute announced this week that they will no longer work out of the Villages Hospital ? This is a real inconvenience to patients who will now have to go to Leesburg RMC or Ocala and Munroe RMC for any hospital services.
Has The Villages Hospital standards fallen so low that these 11 Drs. refuse to work there ?
Old 11-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Could it be a $ issue?
Old 11-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Hospitals Grant "Privileges" to Doctors
Each hospital has its own set of rules, regulations and policies defining how doctors can admit patients, and how they're allowed to treat patients. Usually the rules require doctors to submit a written application for their privileges. The application contains extensive information about the doctor's education, license and experience.
Different categories of privileges exist. These include:
Admitting privileges - allow a doctor to admit a patient to the hospital
Courtesy privileges - allow a doctor to occasionally admit or to visit and treat patients in the hospital
Surgical privileges - to perform surgery in the hospital's operating room or outpatient surgery area
Often the decision of whether to grant privileges to a doctor is a group decision made by a hospital's credentialing committee. The committee thoroughly reviews the doctor's application and conducts an in-person interview, then votes on whether to accept the doctor.

Hospitals Can Impose Residency Requirements
Hospitals can have strict requirements that a doctor must follow before they're considered for privileges. These can include requirements that the doctor reside within a certain distance from the hospital to be sure that the doctor can arrive quickly when needed.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-06-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Urology Institute announced this week that they will no longer work out of the Villages Hospital ? This is a real inconvenience to patients who will now have to go to Leesburg RMC or Ocala and Munroe RMC for any hospital services.
Has The Villages Hospital standards fallen so low that these 11 Drs. refuse to work there ?

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this out. And it's not about the money !!!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

My brother has an urogloist with this practice and coincidentally so do I. Our respective doctors referred us both to Munroe Hospital in Ocala for our needed hospitalizations. Both urologist are well respected in their fields. The hospital staff at Munroe was outstanding ( attentive, friendly warm caring...).

The Viilages hospital missed an obvious diagnosis when I went to the emergency room. My internist told me if I had a need to go to TVH for emergency care again call their emergency number and they will have a doctor from their staff meet me at TVH

One has to wonder what is going on when Moffit backs away from TVH, Advance Urology and 13,000+ residents are dropped . Why is it so many residents complain?
Old 11-06-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet View Post
Would you see a PX that is not "your" PX and do it pro-bono?

The reality is that if you want "Privileges" at a facility, you also have to take "call". Sometimes (but not often), a "call" PX (most often in ED/ICU/CCU) will become a practice or provider "customer". But, in the local demographic of some hospitals - a high percentage of the PX base already has a provider who either - does not have privileges at that facility, or is out of state. Add to that the fact that Medicare more often than not does not pay for many high level specialty consults.

We can thank our government for what is going on - and this is for all specialties. If you think that YOUR Medicare is cut - you should see what is going on with the reimbursement rate on the backside. Simply, the cost of doing business is far too high.

What we all are going to see is more and more "Outpatient Surgery Centers" that are either privately owned by the providers, and more so that are partnered with companies such as HealthSouth. These facilities have a different billing structure than hospital billing (HCFA / UB92) and are far more profitable (and lower bills to the insurance companies).

Last edited by LitespeedRider; 11-06-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
My brother has an urogloist with this practice and coincidentally so do I. Our respective doctors referred us both to Munroe Hospital in Ocala for our needed hospitalizations. Both urologist are well respected in their fields. The hospital staff at Munroe was outstanding ( attentive, friendly warm caring...).

The Viilages hospital missed an obvious diagnosis when I went to the emergency room. My internist told me if I had a need to go to TVH for emergency care again call their emergency number and they will have a doctor from their staff meet me at TVH

One has to wonder what is going on when Moffit backs away from TVH, Advance Urology and 13,000+ residents are dropped . Why is it so many residents complain?
I don't know. But as usual I will point this out. The hospital was built by the developer who tried to get Moffitt to come here for the Cancer Center. They did and left. The Villages does not own the hospital corporation, just the building, but The Morse family have tried to lobby for good medicine to come to us. So far the good medicine doesn't want to apparently.

The Hospital is part of the Central Florida Health Alliance. Central Florida Health
Old 11-06-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Hospitals Can Impose Residency Requirements
Hospitals can have strict requirements that a doctor must follow before they're considered for privileges. These can include requirements that the doctor reside within a certain distance from the hospital to be sure that the doctor can arrive quickly when needed.

False : The provider simply has to be available within a certain time frame. Many providers will have rentals/hotels for "call" periods. Many pre-diem folks will even live out of state - get credentialed and make tens of thousands on contract work. While more common at L1's (and TVH is not L1) I know for a fact that is the case with some providers at TVH.

While "maybe" residency requirements "may" be a good thing (I think they would be). When it comes to specialty services (such as Uro), the relationship is not the same as a PCP MD/DO.

Your examples, while "kinda" correct are more examples of a PCP type of provider getting "privileges" - but from there - most facilities toss them and use their staff hospitalists to "manage" care.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:36 PM
Gold member

so far no facts only assumptions. perhaps they left to form their own group elsewhere....just another 'guess'
Old 11-06-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
so far no facts only assumptions. perhaps they left to form their own group elsewhere....just another 'guess'
Rest assured, my assertion is NOT at all a "guess".

Providers who are not reimbursed for treatment soon no longer provide the treatment. And, yes - I am intimately familiar with the situation.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

So far I've got zero out of this thread - "where's the beef"?
Old 11-06-2016, 06:22 PM
Gold member

Might have something to do with the types of surgery these doctors are now doing using more expensive robotic types of equipment. Having a concentration of similar procedures at fewer hospitals makes sense financially. Think the point that The Villages Hospital and Leesburg Hospital are both part of Central Fl Health Alliance is a factor. Leesburg hospital is the hospital that open heart surgeries are performed while the Villages Hospital does heart caths they don't do heart surgeries there.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
more expensive robotic types of equipment
You are quite close. There are a few schools of thought. While the reimbursement for some R2D2 facilities can be lower...you can stack PX and have a very full day.

Then, there are some (Ortho) for instance...why use R2D2 (diVinci or what ever) - when you can go in and have a "longer" PT base with your in practice PT Center....

In the case of AUI, there is nothing that is not above board. While a number of the MD's do have "their own" surgery center, a very small percentage of the providers make use of the center(s) due to geography and scheduling.

Last edited by LitespeedRider; 11-06-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Since The Villages Regional Hospital is not associated with The Villages or TV Health, except by location, maybe they should change the name?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-06-2016, 07:13 PM

These doctors are
Smart and
Their patients are fortunate. The Villages Hospital is the worst excuse for a hospital that I have ever seen. They did serious damage to my husband two years ago. Now we drive to Ocala Regioanl Medical Center for anything that requires a hospital. That place is first class.

Tags
hospital, villages, work, rmc, ocala

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.