Villages hospital

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
And "your friend" google is citing bogus data from the Johns Hopkins bogus study. The problem is with the definition of "iatrogenic death", which also probably varies from state to state. I can only speak for NY. If a terminal patient with stage 4 pancreatic cancer receives a standing dose of Tylenol outside the 1 hour window----lets say 31 minutes early, that is considered a "medication error" and must be reported to the state health department. When he dies 10 days later, it is an "iatrogenic death" since there was a medication "error" during the hospital stay. Now, when Hopkins gathered "iatrogenic death" data from the states, guess how badly their data was skewed. This is not to say there aren't any iatrogenic deaths, just that the Hopkins study greatly overestimated them.
The real crime in your scenario is that the dying patient could only get Tylenol. This is a real and sad fact about our Healthcare in this country and Lord help us if we actually need pain medication, thanks to lawyers and legislators.

After a career in hospitals I have to speak up and say that I, without a doubt, never saw any Healthcare worker trying to kill a patient. First and foremost, I would have stopped them. If someone was not competent in their job performance I would have reported to my supervisor and removed them from the situation. I can make that judgment because I have enough knowledge to do that...and I have. Healthcare workers are human people with loved ones, and we always think about how we would want our loved ones taken care of. Healthcare professionals are hard on each other, if needed, and scrutinize their work because we take pride in our chosen profession. Some people you just can't please...no way, no how, and that's a sorry fact. You lose control of the life you HAD when something bad happens to you. Change is hard.

I've witnessed people become angry because they don’t have control of disease processes and can't save their loved ones. They use this anger against those that have helped the best they are allowed. When you enter the Healthcare system with an illness, you use lose control because of that illness, but you lash out against those trying help, in attempts to have some control over something. This is a common thing. Blaming others for lose of loved ones is common....unfortunately I can only blame myself for my lost loved ones because I feel like I should have been able to, when realistically, I couldn't.

I'm not claiming to know anything about TV's hospital because I've never been a patient.....yet. I might end up working there but I cannot predict my future. Every hospital has lovers and haters....just like everything else in life. A real question is....if you're minutes away from death would you say "I won't go to TV Hospital"? Just a question
Old 03-14-2024, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgInLakeDenham View Post
The real crime in your scenario is that the dying patient could only get Tylenol. This is a real and sad fact about our Healthcare in this country and Lord help us if we actually need pain medication, thanks to lawyers and legislators.

After a career in hospitals I have to speak up and say that I, without a doubt, never saw any Healthcare worker trying to kill a patient. First and foremost, I would have stopped them. If someone was not competent in their job performance I would have reported to my supervisor and removed them from the situation. I can make that judgment because I have enough knowledge to do that...and I have. Healthcare workers are human people with loved ones, and we always think about how we would want our loved ones taken care of. Healthcare professionals are hard on each other, if needed, and scrutinize their work because we take pride in our chosen profession. Some people you just can't please...no way, no how, and that's a sorry fact. You lose control of the life you HAD when something bad happens to you. Change is hard.

I've witnessed people become angry because they don’t have control of disease processes and can't save their loved ones. They use this anger against those that have helped the best they are allowed. When you enter the Healthcare system with an illness, you use lose control because of that illness, but you lash out against those trying help, in attempts to have some control over something. This is a common thing. Blaming others for lose of loved ones is common....unfortunately I can only blame myself for my lost loved ones because I feel like I should have been able to, when realistically, I couldn't.

I'm not claiming to know anything about TV's hospital because I've never been a patient.....yet. I might end up working there but I cannot predict my future. Every hospital has lovers and haters....just like everything else in life. A real question is....if you're minutes away from death would you say "I won't go to TV Hospital"? Just a question
Thank you for your post and thank you for caring.

We have never been to the TV hospital but lots of posts on here on terrible experiences and supposedly their ratings for whoever does ratings of hospitals (others on here can be more specific) has been very poor.

Sure hope they can get their act together.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Thank you for your post and thank you for caring.

We have never been to the TV hospital but lots of posts on here on terrible experiences and supposedly their ratings for whoever does ratings of hospitals (others on here can be more specific) has been very poor.

Sure hope they can get their act together.
You're welcome. There are lots of terrible posts on here by the same small group of people. Probably not even Villagers. Any time I mention totv to another Villager they say, "you don't believe those nasty people, do you?". And....I don't
Old 03-14-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4$ALE View Post
You have me confused again. What is "are died"supposed to mean? I don't understand the point you are trying to make or was it meant to be a joke? My only other guess would be you were trying to agree with the haters. Could you please explain? Thanks.
I have to assume you are referring to me as a "hater" which is not so at all. My husband had a rare autoimmune disease which could not be diagnosed for 16 days, by which time lack of oxygen to the brain and extremities was irreversible.

I still beat myself up for not knowing what to do.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I have to assume you are referring to me as a "hater" which is not so at all. My husband had a rare autoimmune disease which could not be diagnosed for 16 days, by which time lack of oxygen to the brain and extremities was irreversible.

Please know it's not your fault. You're doing the best you can in this life. Having worked at one of the most recognized names in medicine, Please accept my words as true.....even at the hospital that elites fly to, from all over the globe because of the name, it is typical to take a while to diagnose a rare disorder. Thank you for taking care of your husband like no one else could.
Old 03-14-2024, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

I’m sorry. I didn’t see the part of my post that stated the patient could ONLY get Tylenol. Did you?????
Old 03-14-2024, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You have absolutely no friggin idea what you’re talking about! I am a Villager (much longer than you) and the supposedly hospital in question did its absolute best to try and kill me. I’m not making it up, and it’s not a nasty post, it’s simply the ugly truth that some choose to ignore. The only reason I post about it is because I wouldn’t want my worst enemy to go through what I went through at that place. My heart bleeds for the unfortunate other fellow Villagers who weren’t as lucky as me and never recovered from that places total incompetence.
Please....Explain how exactly they tried to kill you, who was arrested for attempted murder, and how much did you win from your law suits? How long have you worked in patient care? Maybe I'll understand after you give the details
Old 03-14-2024, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Please....Explain how exactly they tried to kill you, who was arrested for attempted murder, and how much did you win from your law suits? How long have you worked in patient care? Maybe I'll understand after you give the details
Read post history regarding subject, it’s all there. PM me if you want to hear it in person.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Read post history regarding subject, it’s all there. PM me if you want to hear it in person.
Don't see where you described your attempted murder in last 300 posts
Old 03-15-2024, 02:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Don't see where you described your attempted murder in last 300 posts
Sometimes, compassion is needed. If you do not believe what others are saying, keep it to yourself. Give it time. Maybe, in the future, you or someone you know will experience something similar. At that time, you will say, "Oh! I get it!" People who post what you do not want to hear are not nasty or miserable. They are simply posting their experiences. There is no need to be harsh. If you don't believe them, move on! There are plenty of other threads to read.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:55 AM
Veteran member

To be called a hospital, one would think of licensure to be able to be called one. Accreditation being in the forefront, but I have to say, down here, they’re really more glorified medical centers (yes, there’s a difference). It’s just like a college vs university...one offers more than other.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:03 AM
Veteran member

You can call and ask them.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
To be called a hospital, one would think of licensure to be able to be called one. Accreditation being in the forefront, but I have to say, down here, they’re really more glorified medical centers (yes, there’s a difference). It’s just like a college vs university...one offers more than other.
Ever hear of JCAHO???? Yes, it IS a hospital with full accreditation.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post

Quote:
Please know it's not your fault. You're doing the best you can in this life. Having worked at one of the most recognized names in medicine, Please accept my words as true.....even at the hospital that elites fly to, from all over the globe because of the name, it is typical to take a while to diagnose a rare disorder. Thank you for taking care of your husband like no one else could.
Please allow me to second what Big posted, in no way was this tragedy your fault and there is no reason you should have known "what to do" if the health care professionals didn't know. I'm sorry for your loss. And he/she is also correct---rare diseases aren't always immediately evident, and in the case of autoimmune disorders even the antibody tests may take over a week to come back from a reference lab. Also, any autoimmune process that can kill someone in 16 days in most cases wouldn't be all that responsive to treatment within that time frame, and even if it was, his life might have been severely compromised. I realize these words will ring hollow, but he may very well be in a better place than he would have been had he survived.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:20 AM

Medicare has a star ratings system that grades the hospitals on a sliding scale. The Villages Hospital still has a one star rating on overall care and Patient survey rating. The nearest 3 star hospitals are Adventhealth Ocala and Adventhealth Waterman.
The star ratings system gives 5 stars to the best hospitals in the country and 1 star to the worst.
The ratings are done by Medicare and the hospital dataset was updated on Jan 31 2024.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, hospital, patient, advocate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.