Villages hospital

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2024, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbirdtobe View Post
Medicare has a star ratings system that grades the hospitals on a sliding scale. The Villages Hospital still has a one star rating on overall care and Patient survey rating. The nearest 3 star hospitals are Adventhealth Ocala and Adventhealth Waterman.
The star ratings system gives 5 stars to the best hospitals in the country and 1 star to the worst.
The ratings are done by Medicare and the hospital dataset was updated on Jan 31 2024.
Those ratings are questionable, since they only look at 4 outcome and readmission criteria---acute MI, CHF, CAP and nosocomial infection. Their "data set" and ratings run about 2-3 years behind what is actually happening as well. In addition, that data is highly skewed when the population of the catchment area is older than the national average and the hospital is serving a larger population than average. Nobody is claiming The Villages Regional Hospital is Mass. General. But the reviews by those that have actually been there recently are overwhelmingly positive.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:33 AM

Having been a patient several times during my major health issue, the Villages hospital has always given me and other patients I’ve know excellent care.
One person with a bad experience tells ten, ten patients with a good experience tells one.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
Having been a patient several times during my major health issue, the Villages hospital has always given me and other patients I’ve know excellent care.
One person with a bad experience tells ten, ten patients with a good experience tells one.
And One Person with a bad experience feels complelled to repeat it 100 times, people with a positive experience don't feel compelled to repeat. We also have had positive experiences in the hospital, and also the emergency rooms at both 44 and SS.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington2 View Post
And One Person with a bad experience feels complelled to repeat it 100 times, people with a positive experience don't feel compelled to repeat. We also have had positive experiences in the hospital, and also the emergency rooms at both 44 and SS.
Very true. And there are 2 other factors:
1) the complainers are generally very vocal
2) People hear what they want to hear and believe what they want as well, regardless of the facts.

As Chief of Staff, I once had a family member complain to me that a physician walked into her mother's room and said "Aren't you dead yet?". That physician was one of the best I've known, and when I had to speak to him about it, we both laughed. What he said was nothing like that.

Also, the spectrum of what sets people off is very wide and often exaggerated. I can't count the number of times people complained about long wait times in our ER---"I waited 7 hours to be seen". Since their arrival time, time of triage, time evaluated by the ER nurse and time first seen by the ER doc was all logged, I could confront the complaint head on. The best was "I hear what you are saying, but the time from your arrival to being seen by the doctor was 37 minutes---perhaps your watch is broken". That of course was challenged with "They're lying". And in turn, I would respond with "computer time stamps don't lie". They would walk away unswayed and unhappy, convinced that they were right. Others would be set off by "cold food", even though patient food temps were measured by thermometer and recorded. Or I rang the call bell and the nurse took "hours" to respond. These times are also monitored so of course it was, well, a misperception to put it kindly. People are very often quite off their game when they or a relative are sick.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:03 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
^^^

Last edited by dewilson58; 03-15-2024 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=tophcfa;2311161]You have absolutely no friggin idea what you’re talking about! I am a Villager (much longer than you) and the supposedly hospital in question did its absolute best to try and kill me. I’m not making it up, and it’s not a nasty post, it’s simply the ugly truth that some choose to ignore. The only reason I post about it is because I wouldn’t want my worst enemy to go through what I went through at that place. My heart bleeds for the unfortunate other fellow Villagers who weren’t as lucky as me and never recovered from that places total incompetence.[/QUOT
I’m sorry this happened to you and your husband .that same hospital in question saved my life
Old 03-15-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You have absolutely no friggin idea what you’re talking about! I am a Villager (much longer than you) and the supposedly hospital in question did its absolute best to try and kill me. I’m not making it up, and it’s not a nasty post, it’s simply the ugly truth that some choose to ignore. The only reason I post about it is because I wouldn’t want my worst enemy to go through what I went through at that place. My heart bleeds for the unfortunate other fellow Villagers who weren’t as lucky as me and never recovered from that places total incompetence.
I'm truly sorry for what you went through and I can understand your anger. Most likely though, your case is the result of a small handful of employees who either through a lack of talent centered on your particular case or a lack of caring (which I doubt), you suffered. It does not necessarily reflect the caring and treatment that most UF Hospital employees provide. In speaking with many recent patients, I find the vast majority are truly happy with their treatment and progress.

We have a friend who is on the hospital's Board of Directors for our hospital. He regularly reviews the most recent customer survey data. It shows a significant improvement in the treatment and satisfaction for patients. The data published a few months ago giving the hospital a rating of 1 is 2-years old. I understand that is a common occurrence. For some unknown reason to me, they cannot provide more up-to-date information.

So bash the hospital if you must. I suspect the folks who are truly happy with their care and treatment will remain the silent majority.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:25 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
You have
O man, sorry to hear.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Very true. And there are 2 other factors:
2) People hear what they want to hear and believe what they want as well, regardless of the facts.

As Chief of Staff, I once had a family member complain to me that a physician walked into her mother's room and said "Aren't you dead yet?". That physician was one of the best I've known, and when I had to speak to him about it, we both laughed. What he said was nothing like that.

Also, the spectrum of what sets people off is very wide and often exaggerated. I can't count the number of times people complained about long wait times in our ER---"I waited 7 hours to be seen". Since their arrival time, time of triage, time evaluated by the ER nurse and time first seen by the ER doc was all logged, I could confront the complaint head on. The best was "I hear what you are saying, but the time from your arrival to being seen by the doctor was 37 minutes---perhaps your watch is broken". That of course was challenged with "They're lying". And in turn, I would respond with "computer time stamps don't lie". They would walk away unswayed and unhappy, convinced that they were right. Others would be set off by "cold food", even though patient food temps were measured by thermometer and recorded. Or I rang the call bell and the nurse took "hours" to respond. These times are also monitored so of course it was, well, a misperception to put it kindly. People are very often quite off their game when they or a relative are sick.
"Very true. And there are 2 other factors:
2) People hear what they want to hear and believe what they want as well, regardless of the facts."

Absolutely. As Winston Churchill once said, "a lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can get it's pants on". It is why I am suspicious of "reviews", be they on Amazon, bar chatter, posts following an article or wherever. They are at best subjective interpretations of events made by people who may have little or no knowledge of the situation or the facts beyond their own often emotionally clouded perception. One ax-grinder can generate one hell of a lot of negativity.

That said however, an overall bad reputation is rarely the fault of just a few ax-grinders. The Villages Hospital MAY have turned the corner on quality of care. I recall not too many months back they hired a new head honcho (can't remember the exact title) and that MAY have made a positive difference. Staff expertise and competence MAY be at a level or even above that of any other area hospital. All that MAY be a fact, today.

But I will take the Villages Hospital some time, perhaps years, to prove it and thereby outlive it's reputation.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:45 AM

I've worked in hospitals for several decades and I've never seen anyone try to kill anyone. I have rarely seen bad doctors and nurses. Poor care is a sad fact in some settings. The patient advocate is a good way to go for a start, then there's Chief Medical Officer, COO and the CEO if you feel the need to be more expressive of a bigger issue and not just an isolated problem you had or saw. By law they have to make available to you a complaint system that usually ends up in the Federal government and/or State's hands. Because of that, I've found hospitals I've worked in to be pretty on top of real issues. Long wait times are not unusual. We all often put off going to our family doctor or clinic until we're really sick, then it's afterhours, which means the ER is the only place open, so off we go.... with everyone else that waited too long. My only complaint with the TV healthcare so far is not taking government Medicare.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:07 AM

Omg i'm soooo sorry
Old 03-15-2024, 09:30 AM
Default Thats the absolute truth.

Quote:
Hmmm, I wasn’t aware there was a hospital in the Villages, just the place off El Camino Real that impersonates a hospital?
As a previous Hospital Administrator I can comfortably say, "The box they call a hospital is the biggest black eye of the Villages." I wouldn't send my exwife there.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justputt View Post
I've worked in hospitals for several decades and I've never seen anyone try to kill anyone. I have rarely seen bad doctors and nurses. Poor care is a sad fact in some settings. The patient advocate is a good way to go for a start, then there's Chief Medical Officer, COO and the CEO if you feel the need to be more expressive of a bigger issue and not just an isolated problem you had or saw. By law they have to make available to you a complaint system that usually ends up in the Federal government and/or State's hands. Because of that, I've found hospitals I've worked in to be pretty on top of real issues. Long wait times are not unusual. We all often put off going to our family doctor or clinic until we're really sick, then it's afterhours, which means the ER is the only place open, so off we go.... with everyone else that waited too long. My only complaint with the TV healthcare so far is not taking government Medicare.
All true. And that's not to say there aren't bad doctors out there---just like there are bad lawyers, dentists, accountants, mechanics and trash collectors. I had to suspend the privileges of two doctors---one was for inappropriately touching a female patient that was under anesthesia (big no-no) and the other for transecting the ureters of 3 women during LAVH in a 6 month span (the average gynecologist will transect 0 or 1 in an entire career). Unlike whatever the media and AARP want you to believe, unlike the deeply flawed Johns Hopkins study that estimated 1/4 million deaths per year due to medical errors, that was the exception, not the rule.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank495 View Post
As a previous Hospital Administrator I can comfortably say, "The box they call a hospital is the biggest black eye of the Villages." I wouldn't send my exwife there.
If that's true, and you have the expertise you claim to have, then you would know everything I've posted on this subject is 100% accurate. I would humbly suggest you look at the recent patient comments and not 2-3 year old government "ratings". Also, if you have ideas for further improvements, perhaps you could lend your expertise as a consultant to U of F Health rather than bashing the hospital based on just what?????
Old 03-15-2024, 09:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Ever hear of JCAHO???? Yes, it IS a hospital with full accreditation.
My point exactly
For clarity, JCAHO also does accreditation on urgent care and medical centers as well (if the applicant is seeking that designation). It’s semantics
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, hospital, patient, advocate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.