Villages hospital

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2024, 05:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You're welcome. It's just the more he posts, the more ridiculous his claim that he was a hospital administrator gets.
‘Hospital Administrator’ is quite ambiguous. He/she could be one of a dozen or so in a facility. So I don’t think it’s representative. Could just be a disgruntled ex employee shown the door with a less than attractive severance package. But what do I know
Old 03-16-2024, 05:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
‘Hospital Administrator’ is quite ambiguous. He/she could be one of a dozen or so in a facility. So I don’t think it’s representative. Could just be a disgruntled ex employee shown the door with a less than attractive severance package. But what do I know
True, could have been a number cruncher in a small dark room with absolutely no knowledge of QA or operations. I'd love to see the "box" he worked at
Old 03-16-2024, 09:48 AM
Default Clearly you know nothing,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
I was THE administrator of a large, quality, profitable hospital in south florida.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank495 View Post
I was THE administrator of a large, quality, profitable hospital in south florida.
Scary
Old 03-16-2024, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,180 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Those ratings are questionable, since they only look at 4 outcome and readmission criteria---acute MI, CHF, CAP and nosocomial infection. Their "data set" and ratings run about 2-3 years behind what is actually happening as well. In addition, that data is highly skewed when the population of the catchment area is older than the national average and the hospital is serving a larger population than average. Nobody is claiming The Villages Regional Hospital is Mass. General. But the reviews by those that have actually been there recently are overwhelmingly positive.
That summary of CMS hospital medicare rating methodology is not quite the full story. BUT the rating is not based on just 4 outcome and readmissions criteria.

4 does not equal 46 .

"The 2023 Overall Star Rating selects 46 of the hospital quality measures CMS publicly reports on Medicare.gov and divides them into 5 measure groups: Mortality, Safety of Care, Readmission, Patient Experience, and Timely & Effective Care. "

There are 7 mortality numbers including:
1. Death rate for heart attack patients
2 Death rate for coronary artery bypass graft surgery patients
3. Death rate for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients (COPD)
4. Death rate for heart failure patients
5. Death rate for pneumonia patients
6. Death rate for stroke patients
7. Deaths among patients with serious TREATABLE complications after surgery

Then Safety of Care 8 criteria for that category including

8. Central line-associated bloodstream infections
9. Catheter associated urinary tract infections
10 Surgical site infections from colon surgery
11 Surgical site infections from abdominal hysterectomy

Then Readmission rates for 11 different patient populations

Then 8 different measures of patient experience

Then 13 measures of timely and effective care

So no, golfing eagle, the one star lowest rating possible only given to the worst ~5% of hospitals in the country is not based on 4 criteria.

As to the age of the data, yes it is not 2024 data but it has always taken hospitals time to submit their data to CMS. The summer 2023 ratings include data on patient visits up to 12/21 or up to 6/22 depending on which criteria. There should be a new rating sometime this summer based on data up to 6/2023

As to your excuse that the Villages sees old people. So does every single hospital for the great majority of the diseases being evaluated. Heart attacks means old people, strokes means old people, heart failure means old people. If anything our hospital should be really good at that stuff as it is a lot of what they see.

Waiting times for a room is not age related. Nor is hours in ER waiting or whether the doctor/nurse explained things.

Hospitals with the lowest rating are not bad hospitals. They just are not as good as most other hospitals. It is like cars. Most people who bought a Yugo or a Gremlin did fine with that car. But overall they were not a good a choice as other vehicles.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
That summary of CMS hospital medicare rating methodology is not quite the full story. BUT the rating is not based on just 4 outcome and readmissions criteria.

4 does not equal 46 .

"The 2023 Overall Star Rating selects 46 of the hospital quality measures CMS publicly reports on Medicare.gov and divides them into 5 measure groups: Mortality, Safety of Care, Readmission, Patient Experience, and Timely & Effective Care. "

There are 7 mortality numbers including:
1. Death rate for heart attack patients
2 Death rate for coronary artery bypass graft surgery patients
3. Death rate for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients (COPD)
4. Death rate for heart failure patients
5. Death rate for pneumonia patients
6. Death rate for stroke patients
7. Deaths among patients with serious TREATABLE complications after surgery

Then Safety of Care 8 criteria for that category including

8. Central line-associated bloodstream infections
9. Catheter associated urinary tract infections
10 Surgical site infections from colon surgery
11 Surgical site infections from abdominal hysterectomy

Then Readmission rates for 11 different patient populations

Then 8 different measures of patient experience

Then 13 measures of timely and effective care

So no, golfing eagle, the one star lowest rating possible only given to the worst ~5% of hospitals in the country is not based on 4 criteria.

As to the age of the data, yes it is not 2024 data but it has always taken hospitals time to submit their data to CMS. The summer 2023 ratings include data on patient visits up to 12/21 or up to 6/22 depending on which criteria. There should be a new rating sometime this summer based on data up to 6/2023

As to your excuse that the Villages sees old people. So does every single hospital for the great majority of the diseases being evaluated. Heart attacks means old people, strokes means old people, heart failure means old people. If anything our hospital should be really good at that stuff as it is a lot of what they see.

Waiting times for a room is not age related. Nor is hours in ER waiting or whether the doctor/nurse explained things.

Hospitals with the lowest rating are not bad hospitals. They just are not as good as most other hospitals. It is like cars. Most people who bought a Yugo or a Gremlin did fine with that car. But overall they were not a good a choice as other vehicles.
Perhaps I should have stated "4 broad categories"--you've split them out but in essence they are all ACS,CHF,CAP,CVA and nosocomial infections. But yes, you are technically correct, no dispute.

I do disagree that these numbers are not skewed by the demographics of the hospital's catchment area. The older the population, the more likely they are to get a nosocomial infection or a post op infection. Older people are more likely to sit at home chugging Alka seltzer for their chest pain and present to the hospital later. Older people are more likely to succumb to CAP despite treatment. Older people may have underlying COPD, young people generally do not. Older people have a higher prevalence of a smoking history. Older people are somewhat less likely to present with a CVA within 1 hour. (Yes, I know the window for thrombolytic Rx has changed). Basically, if they wanted to be accurate, they would have to age match the patient populations of the various hospitals, which they do not do.

The other point is that all those rankings lag 2-3 years, it's just the nature of their methodology.

Again, I think we are saying pretty much the same thing in different ways. TVRH is NOT Mass. General by any means. But based on patient feedback, they seem to be improving since UF took over, so we'll just have to wait 2-3 years to see their new rankings and compare rather than judge today's hospital by old criteria.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,180 Times in 835 Posts

Let's now evaluate the argument made here by GE, claiming expertise on that issue, that it is a few complainers who got the hospital its low rating. He even has stories to tell to prove his anecdotal point..

The patient experience portion of the CMS rating is based on a random sample of every single person who is admitted to the ER/inpatient facility, if they survive of course.

It is not based on who complains. Now if people don't return the survey, and there may be some bias that unhappy people are more likely to return the survey that may skew it some. But that factor applies to every single hospital not just ours.

And how does The Villages hospital do on patient satisfaction? Yep, ONE STAR.

They had 2586 returned surveys. A 37% return rate.

Did the nurses always communicate well TVH 65% National Ave 79%
Did doctors always communicate well TVH 64% National Ave 79%
Did patients always get help soon TVH 46% National Ave 66%
Did staff explain meds before giving TVH 49% National Ave 62%
Was area around room quiet at night TVH 47% National Ave 62%
Patients given info about home recovery TVH 78% National Ave 86%
Patients strongly agree they understand care when left hosp TVH 36% Nat 52%
Pat who gave hosp 9or10 on scale TVH 44% National 71%
Patients who recommend hosp to friends TVH 41% National 69%

Now this data is better data than who posts on TOTV and on every single measurement TVH scores lower than the national average. And on the very important, to me, would you recommend this hospital only 41% said yes.

Would you choose a restaurant with a 41% satisfaction, or a hotel, or doctor?

EDIT: As to the argument that you need to wait for better data now that UF is running the hospital. UF took over in Jan 2020. The patient satisfaction data is measured from April 2021 to Mar 2022.

EDIT: In the Daily Sun on Dec 9 2021 Heather Long COO of UF Health Central Florida said:
Quote:
"This is going to be a journey over the next 24 to 36 months, but there is no reason why The Villages Hospital cannot be a 5-star hospital.
Note she is not claiming that all those old people make it impossible for our rating to improve.

Last edited by blueash; 03-16-2024 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Let's now evaluate the argument made here by GE, claiming expertise on that issue, that it is a few complainers who got the hospital its low rating. He even has stories to tell to prove his anecdotal point..

The patient experience portion of the CMS rating is based on a random sample of every single person who is admitted to the ER/inpatient facility, if they survive of course.

It is not based on who complains. Now if people don't return the survey, and there may be some bias that unhappy people are more likely to return the survey that may skew it some. But that factor applies to every single hospital not just ours.

Now this data is better data than who posts on TOTV and on every single measurement TVH scores lower than the national average. And on the very important, to me, would you recommend this hospital only 41% said yes.

EDIT: As to the argument that you need to wait for better data now that UF is running the hospital. UF took over in Jan 2020. The patient satisfaction data is measured from April 2021 to Mar 2022.

EDIT: In the Daily Sun on Dec 9 2021 Heather Long COO of UF Health Central Florida said:

Note she is not claiming that all those old people make it impossible for our rating to improve.

At least it is working for her. She is now CEO.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

I sense a little Dr on Dr crime here!

I’m actually enjoying educated back and forth whether I agree or not. Thank you kind sir(s)
Old 03-16-2024, 01:17 PM
Sage

Quote:

What on God's green earth are you talking about. Please show me where i wrote that "complainers" got the hospital a poor rating. Your argument about the finer details of the rating system have some degree of validity---you don't have to start fabricating by putting made up words on my posts.

The hospital clearly earned its low rating, basically it sucked----2 to 3 years ago which is when the data for the rating was gathered. It MAY BE better now, the data is not in yet, but patient comments on recent threads overwhelmingly suggest that it is much better. THAT'S MY ONLY POINT. The ratings are somewhat skewed against hospitals with an older patient population, we can debate that all day (and I'd win). The ratings also include 4-5 categories of data collection which are basically limited to cardiopulmonary disease and nosocomial infections. That's OK, it's easy to measure and does represent the most commonly billed CPT codes.

As far as the rest of it goes, change does not happen overnight. Wouldn't you agree that patient comments made this week may be a more accurate reflection of current events than 3 year old patient satisfaction surveys?

And finally, I know we don't see eye to eye on many issues, but there is no reason for outright hostility.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:24 PM

Aug 22 spent a week in the Intensive care unit with Covid I had the best care the entire time including the doctor that signed me out. I was not the best of patient as needed much extra care due to health issues everyone always came quickly and with a smile I personally feel they are really trying to do a good job if you help.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
Aug 22 spent a week in the Intensive care unit with Covid I had the best care the entire time including the doctor that signed me out. I was not the best of patient as needed much extra care due to health issues everyone always came quickly and with a smile I personally feel they are really trying to do a good job if you help.

Thank you for your first person review. It is very good news to learn that they are: trying, & in many cases succeeding.
Old 03-16-2024, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:

If the survey responders are anything like many of the posters on ToTV, I'm surprised the "satisfaction rate" isn't lower...

Face it, there are many around these parts who would complain if they were hung with a new rope...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, hospital, patient, advocate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.