The Villages Prostate Cancer ROUND TABLE

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Default The Villages Prostate Cancer ROUND TABLE

The Villages Prostate Cancer Round Table meets the third Wednesday,January,March May,July, Sept.,Nov. This meeting is for MEN ONLY. The mmeting gives men an opportunity to exchange experiences and learn from one another the challenges of prostate cancer. Many of the attendees are long time survivors and have had many types of treatment through the years. For more derails contact Dan Bard 352-259-9***
Old 12-02-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
The Villages Prostate Cancer Round Table meets the third Wednesday,January,March May,July, Sept.,Nov. This meeting is for MEN ONLY. The mmeting gives men an opportunity to exchange experiences and learn from one another the challenges of prostate cancer. Many of the attendees are long time survivors and have had many types of treatment through the years. For more derails contact Dan Bard 352-259-9***
Daniel,
Thanks for the post.
We will moving into our home on the 20th of this month.
I recently had a prostatectomy & will be having followup treatment.
Looking for all the info. I can get
Old 01-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Hi Dan,
Just checking back to see if the January meeting is still scheduled ? If so just want to know the specifics.

Thanks

Tom
Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 PM

Glad to hear there is a group like this. I am a 3 year survivor and when I move here full time n a few months I would definitely like to attend
Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 PM

Dan, can you let me know if the July meeting is still on and if so can you send me the details? Thanks, Ed
Old 06-25-2014, 03:09 PM

Regular meeting will be July 2,2014 at Laurel Manor also the round table meeting will be Wed. July16th. Both meetings at Laureal Manor.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Regular meeting will be July 2,2014 at Laurel Manor also the round table meeting will be Wed. July16th. Both meetings at Laureal Manor.
What is the difference between a regular meeting and a round table meeting?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
I've never had prostate problems but I went to a few meetings years ago as a learning experience. These meetings, as I remember, often start with a lecture by a urologist. Each doctor will claim that their treatment regimen is the best. So it's up to each person to sort it all out for themselves and make their own decision.

These doctors usually don't make any diet recommendations because they don't make money recommending diets. But there is a diet, recommended by Dr. Dean Ornish of California, that can serve a purpose in a specific situation. It's usually recommended for those who have a slow growing type of cancer and feel that they are too old to risk being operated on. When I first went to a meeting, no one had ever heard of dietary measures that could help. I introduced it to the guy who was in charge of the group. I don't remember that man's name, and I wonder if they still discuss diet as a possible form of treatment.

Last time I went, several years ago, they did allow women. Many of the men took their wives. I guess they wanted their wives to learn too so as to help them make a final decision about what they should do, as far as treatment. I think that's a wise thing to do - two heads are better than one.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
What is the difference between a regular meeting and a round table meeting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I've never had prostate problems but I went to a few meetings years ago as a learning experience. These meetings, as I remember, often start with a lecture by a urologist. Each doctor will claim that their treatment regimen is the best. So it's up to each person to sort it all out for themselves and make their own decision.

These doctors usually don't make any diet recommendations because they don't make money recommending diets. But there is a diet, recommended by Dr. Dean Ornish of California, that can serve a purpose in a specific situation. It's usually recommended for those who have a slow growing type of cancer and feel that they are too old to risk being operated on. When I first went to a meeting, no one had ever heard of dietary measures that could help. I introduced it to the guy who was in charge of the group. I don't remember that man's name, and I wonder if they still discuss diet as a possible form of treatment.

Last time I went, several years ago, they did allow women. Many of the men took their wives. I guess they wanted their wives to learn too so as to help them make a final decision about what they should do, as far as treatment. I think that's a wise thing to do - two heads are better than one.
The post by Villages PL describes a regular meeting.

A round table meeting is for men only. It is attended by men who are at various stages in their fight - survivors, currently in treatment, and recently diagnosed. The discussion is guided by a support group moderator. It is very informative.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:33 PM

What time? Not sure if I can make it but I would definitely like to attend as I am a 4 yr survivor and look forward to meeting others
Old 07-04-2014, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

7pm.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:48 PM

My neighbor and I would like to attend next weeks meeting. Is it still on and if so still 7pm at Laurel manor?
Old 09-13-2014, 02:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Your phone number doesn't show fully as TOTV software doesn't like certain sequence of numbers.

You may want to spell out the numbers so people can contact you. Example would be, 9, four, three, two.

Just trying to be helpful.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-19-2014, 04:49 PM

My neighbor George and I will be there tonight
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.