Be wary of local cardiologist

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
All heart patients should be warry of all heart doctors, in my opinion. Most of them (again my opinion) will never give the option of lifestyle changes to reverse coronary artery disease. They are in business to make money and placing stints or giving by pass surgery pays a heck of a lot more than giving someone a stern warning and a diet/exercise plan.
BULL-Oney!!!! Non-Invasive Cardiologists do not do these surgeries. They are trained in internal medicine first and are not surgeons.

You paint with a broad brush the very professionals people need both before and during a life-threatening disease/condition.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:22 PM

You could save someone's life by posting the name of the Dr. It would appear that he or she is only in the practice for the money. If he or she is worth their salt they can defend themselves,

This is one of the reasons our Healtcare costs continues to climb. Needless tests only hurt the patient and feed the Doctors.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
All heart patients should be warry of all heart doctors, in my opinion. Most of them (again my opinion) will never give the option of lifestyle changes to reverse coronary artery disease. They are in business to make money and placing stints or giving by pass surgery pays a heck of a lot more than giving someone a stern warning and a diet/exercise plan.

You are again, in my opinion, proceeding from inaccurate information.

Here is the index page from The Mayo Clinic's book. Heart Healthy for Life.

They are first interested in life changes, stepping up exercise and changing your diet.

Mayo Clinic Healthy Heart for Life
The Villages Florida
Old 10-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Sage

Quote:

And here is from preventative health information page from The Cleveland Clinic, The Best in the country for problems with the heart and cardiovascular system
Heart & Vascular Health and Prevention

Preventive Cardiology and Rehabilitation

The Section of Preventive Cardiology and Rehabilitation helps those who already have heart and vascular disease and those who are at high risk of developing it.
Individualized & Group Prevention Programs

Preventive Cardiology and Rehabilitation offers a multidisciplinary approach to preventing the occurrence or progression of cardiovascular disease: nutritional services, prescriptive exercise programs, stress testing, multiple cardiovascular risk reduction programs, peripheral vascular rehabilitation program in collaboration with Vascular Medicine, comprehensive cardiovascular care for women, and educational programs for patients and healthcare providers. Nutrition Services
Group Exercise Programs and Individual Exercise Consultation
Specialized Programs for Women and Teens
Learn More About These Prevention Topics:
Web Chats
Interactive Tools
Reviewed: 08/12

Old 10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Sage

Wendy.

The Cleveland Clinic doesn't have a branch here, but if there is a problem you can fly there as my oldest friend's husband did from Huntsville, Alabama. The local doctors didn't know how else to help him.

He is doin' fine these seven years later.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-03-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum member

Gracie, you are so wise and I appreciate your comments! I'm so glad you and Helene are survivors! I'd bet your sunny, sensible attitude had a lot to do with that!

Can anyone tell me if you have to be referred to Shands, do they accept Medicare and is there a cardiologist there you would recommend?

The only Cleveland Clinic I see in Fla is West Palm Beach and that is a little far. It seems Mayo does not participate in Medicare and that would be a must for us!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM

I don't understand, if you had no symptoms what prompted you to seek a cardiologist? Did you have angina? or shortness of breath? did you have fainting spells ?? feelings of discomfort when you exert yourself, you said you were asymptomatic but angina comes in many forms not just chest pain so I find your remarks confusing... I worked for USF Health Cardiology for 16 years and can recommend many excellant cardiologists just 90 minutes away if you like.A nuclear test is done rather than a treadmill test for many reasons for example because heavy smokers usually tire out and develop shortness breath before the test can be completed properly and diagnosed , or also in cases of obesity. Hope if you have any type of cardiac related disease like hypertension you will continue to seek care..

Last edited by mrsyarbie; 10-03-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: ad comments
Old 10-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Smile Great resources for everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
And here is from preventative health information page from The Cleveland Clinic, The Best in the country for problems with the heart and cardiovascular system
Heart & Vascular Health and Prevention

Preventive Cardiology and Rehabilitation

The Section of Preventive Cardiology and Rehabilitation helps those who already have heart and vascular disease and those who are at high risk of developing it.
Individualized & Group Prevention Programs

Preventive Cardiology and Rehabilitation offers a multidisciplinary approach to preventing the occurrence or progression of cardiovascular disease: nutritional services, prescriptive exercise programs, stress testing, multiple cardiovascular risk reduction programs, peripheral vascular rehabilitation program in collaboration with Vascular Medicine, comprehensive cardiovascular care for women, and educational programs for patients and healthcare providers. Nutrition Services
Group Exercise Programs and Individual Exercise Consultation
Specialized Programs for Women and Teens
Learn More About These Prevention Topics:
Web Chats
Interactive Tools
Reviewed: 08/12

Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Gold member

This has been a very educational thread. Sure are a lot of knowledgeable people on TOTV! Thanks for sharing.
In reality, they're different!
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Platinum member

You confuse me.

A nuclear stress test can be executed either on a treadmill or through the use of chemical stimulation of your heart. It all depends upon whether you are physically capable of exercising on the treadmill long enough to get your heart to the target heart rate.

In either case, treadmill or chemical, the thing that makes it a nuclear stress test is based upon the injection of nuclear material into your blood stream before the test begins.

You condemn an office that is "run like an assembly line." Couldn't that also be characterized as simply being well organized and efficient?

You say that one should steer clear if you get bills that do not reflect what was actually done. By then it's too late to steer clear.

Your original post, although possibly well meaning, is totally valueless because of your failure to provide the name of the doctor.

Perhaps you could have simply recommended that people should check out that doctor by name on the web site where you say others have criticized him.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I disagree. My cardiologists have always encouraged me to modify my lifestyle (usually by losing weight and exercising) to control my blood pressure and protect my heart.

Here in TV I go to Dr. Georg Couturier at Heart of The Villages in Spanish Springs. On my first office visit he spent one hour with me explaining my heart condition to me and detailing what I must do to avoid further damage to my heart. He did this while he had several other patients in the waiting room and his reimbursement was at the Medicare rate which actually pays for an office visit of under 15 minutes.

The man is a gem!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Veteran member

GG, I applaud your support of Physicians you believe to be capable. Unfortunately, in my experience, they are not. We draw the physicians who cannot make a living in anything other than a Medicare environment. In my case, I had a heart problem that required a pacemaker. The pacemaker was installed, (put in place) by a surgeon in a large cardiac practice, with a Villages office. The procedure was done at LRMC. Nothing got better. I had a series of tests over the next few months. Action resulting - zero. Choosing to try to live, I went to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. The initial office exam showed that my pacemaker was not working correctly. The Medtronic rep confirmed this.

Initial surgery was done to repair the pacemaker. Surgery showed that (1) one of the two leads was never attached; (2) the other lead had very high impedance; and (3) it was not the right pacemaker to start with. The surgeon, at a subsequent operation put in place a three lead, biventricular pacemaker. I'm doing well now, thanks to Mayo and in no way thanks to to the local cardiologists. If it were up to them, I'd be dead.

I had a similar experienced with my wife. She fell and broke her hip. I interrupted the surgery to discover that after 45 minutes, they did not have an IV capable of providing the need meds to her. If this is not incompetence, please define it for me.

My encouragement to my fellow Villagers is (1) if you need a flu shot go to you local doctor; (2) if you have any reason to believe your may seriously ill – get out of town! The physicians in the Villages settled here either to retire or because they were not accepted as competent by their peers. No one came here to blaze new trails or be a leader in their specialty.

Last edited by BBQMan; 10-05-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Maybe I can help. Go to Dr. George Couterier and avoid all this. You get the best of the best at the same time.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQMan View Post
GG, I applaud your support of Physicians you believe to be capable. Unfortunately, in my experience, they are not. We draw the physicians who cannot make a living in anything other than a Medicare environment. In my case, I had a heart problem that required a pacemaker. The pacemaker was installed, (put in place) by a surgeon in a large cardiac practice, with a Villages office. The procedure was done at LRMC. Nothing got better. I had a series of tests over the next few months. Action resulting - zero. Choosing to try to live, I went to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. The initial office exam showed that my pacemaker was not working correctly. The Medtronic rep confirmed this.

Initial surgery was done to repair the pacemaker. Surgery showed that (1) one of the two leads was never attached; (2) the other lead had very high impedance; and (3) it was not the right pacemaker to start with. The surgeon, at a subsequent operation put in place a three lead, biventricular pacemaker. I'm doing well now, thanks to Mayo and in no way thanks to to the local cardiologists. If it were up to them, I'd be dead.

I had a similar experienced with my wife. She fell and broke her hip. I interrupted the surgery to discover that after 45 minutes, they did not have an IV capable of providing the need meds to her. If this is not incompetence, please define it for me.

My encouragement to my fellow Villagers is (1) if you need a flu shot go to you local doctor; (2) if you have any reason to believe your may seriously ill – get out of town! The physicians in the Villages settled here either to retire or because they were not accepted as competent by their peers. No one came here to blaze new trails or be a leader in their specialty.
I don't think I said anything in support of any local medical institution. I haven't consulted anyone here for cancer or heart, we return to Cincinnati for those continued medical evaluations. I have no experience with local hospitals. We see a GP here.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-06-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
DISAGREE ....DISAGREE a post like this is a disservice to all. There are good and bad Doctors in all fields and each individual doctor has his/her standard method of diagonsis. Yes they do make money ...why shouldnt they....but if I need a heart DR. hopefully I will select one based on referrals/recommendations.

Gracies comments are right on.....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.