Weight Loss-Semiglutide Injections

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2023, 10:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

When I want to lose weight I simply ingest fewer calories Easy peasy. Unnecessarily taking drugs which have side effects is not for me. Self discipline is the answer.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-04-2023, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
OMG… don’t this stuff. If you want to loose weight just stop eating carbohydrates and sugar (that includes most all fruits). You will loose a lot of weight and you will be HEALTHY!
And all an alcoholic has to do is stop drinking alcohol. And all an anorexic has to do is eat some food. Most people with a weight problem are dealing with an addiction or an eating disorder.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:40 AM
Default effects

ENJOYING the foods and drinks you really like
Old 10-04-2023, 06:56 AM

UHC with Medicare it is $45 per month at Walgreens. Have lost 12# in 7 weeks
Old 10-04-2023, 08:31 AM

Can you share which medication you are taking? If UHC with Medicare it is $45 a month, I will ask my doctor for a prescription today! (Please text me at 585-721-2522)
Old 10-04-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenhwalker@yahoo.com View Post
UHC with Medicare it is $45 per month at Walgreens. Have lost 12# in 7 weeks
Who is prescribing and what medication are you taking?
Old 10-04-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Laziness and lack of discipline.
Wow.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
OMG… don’t this stuff. If you want to loose weight just stop eating carbohydrates and sugar (that includes most all fruits). You will loose a lot of weight and you will be HEALTHY!
Don't you think people have already tried this? Lots of folks have tried so many different things to lose weight and it hasn't worked for them. All the critics make it sound so easy. If it were easy nobody would be overweight.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:20 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

A fellow I know who moved here from India was visited by his observant brother who commented "What a country! Even the poor people get to be fat!".

Actually it is our diet, especially fast food, which is loaded with sugar, fat and salt and comes in huge servings. Many people, poor and rich alike (think Warren Buffett), eat regularly at McDonalds, KFC and the like. That can lead to obesity.

Over the last 60 years my weight has varied plus or minus 10 pounds from what my MD tells me is a healthy weight for me. When I want to lose I eat more salad and cut back on higher calorie food such as sweets. I only eat a hamburger or french fries a couple times a year, usually at an airport or at a pit stop on a road trip and I order a small side of fries.

I remember my first trip to France. The portions served at restaurants were a fraction of what is served in the USA. They were sufficient and satisfying. Too, back in the 1950s the hamburgers were smaller and the side of fries much less than what I see today. Also Coca Cola at the soda fountain and in bottles came in much smaller portions. That was way before I ever saw obese people waddling around with Big Gulps clenched in their fists. Folks, it's portion control!

Now some people may not be able to control their appetites and may benefit from Overeaters Anonymous or other support groups. I know a few for whom their weight has been a long term struggle.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 10-04-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,084 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
A fellow I know who moved here from India was visited by his observant brother who commented "What a country! Even the poor people get to be fat!".
Carbs are cheap, healthy food is expensive.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:34 AM

I found a great option as I didn't want to take drugs. Most drugs have a lot of side effects and quit working after you stop using them. I went to Florida Weight Loss Experts, they have office in The Villages on 466. It's $1600 for a 4 month program with a coach. You eat real food protein, veggies and fruit. They help you learn how to eat for your body. I've lost about 30 lbs in 45 days, increased my muscle mass and 3-5 inches off my body. I think worth talking to them before taking injections.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbb View Post
What are the side effects of being overweight.
That’s a valid point. But the side effects of being overweight generally take years to result in major issues and all can be cured by cutting out sugar, carbs along with some intermittent fasting. Instead doctors are prescribing dangerous drugs. Ozempic makes people lose muscle and bone density. That’s not how you want to lose weight. Take a look at the side effects. Why would anyone choose to take this stuff?

Ozempic Side Effects: Common, Severe, Long Term
Old 10-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
And all an alcoholic has to do is stop drinking alcohol. And all an anorexic has to do is eat some food. Most people with a weight problem are dealing with an addiction or an eating disorder.
Totally not true. I guess you could call carbs an addiction. But what we are dealing with is a crappy American diet that pushes carbs as a main source of calories. It’s not easy to eat anywhere but home and not be inundated with crappy food. It can be overcome. But it does take discipline. What I can say is in my experience every single person I’ve ever met taking pills or having surgery has gained the weight back. Those things will never work without a lifestyle change. But a lifestyle change will work without those things. It’s not easy but it can be done.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnfl View Post
Has anyone tried this as a weight loss. Where did you go and what was the approx. cost.
The OP asked if anyone had tried it and what did it cost. The thread gets filled with What I did, I don’t take drugs, Just use this or that diet, etc. etc.
The OP doesn’t care about what you think or what you did or do. They just wanted two simple questions answered, and had to wade through all the irrelevant posts to try and find it.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:02 AM
Default Slow digestion vs reduced hunger perception

First off - Do your own research and talk with your doctor. Any of us keyboard jockeys can make a mistake. You will feel more confident that you understand the information and can make an informed decision.

I looked into GLP-1 drugs (Wegovy & others) vs Norepinephene (Phentermine).

GLP-1 drugs slow digestion which delays message being sent that we are hungry while Norepinephine drugs alter the message sent saying we are hungry.

GLP-1 drugs can be taken for longer periods of time while Norepinephene are typically limited to 12 weeks. There are ways around the 12 week time frame but you want to understand the risks you are taking.

Aspirating while on GLP-1 drugs and under anesthesia has been written up as a risk so if you are planning on a surgery do your research.

Again, just have a quick discussion with your doctor. I recommend doing a web search (GLP-1 vs Phentermine then click on the additional questions below and read - maybe 20 minutes). Do this before you meet with your doctor. You will be more educated and can ask a couple of questions then just listen.

Your safety is worth 20 minutes of your time and a short doctor discussion.

I went with Phentermine and am averaging just under 2lbs loss per week. I cannot exercise to burn more calories (total hip replacement coming) and I eat virtually anything I want. I no longer have that message always saying I am hungry so I eat less often and my portions are smaller. If I could exercise my weight loss would definitely be greater but pending surgery impacted my ability to exercise and potential issue with aspiration during operation.

Hope it helps. Call your doctor.
Closed Thread

Tags
weight, approx, loss-semiglutide, loss, injections

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.