"What is the safe and responsible thing for me to do?" by an ER physician

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2020, 07:36 AM
Default "What is the safe and responsible thing for me to do?" by an ER physician

A thoughtful, eloquent essay. A couple of excerpts:

"Responsible people take risks all the time in the course of normal life. And as responsible people, both out of regard for ourselves and for others, we take steps to mitigate those risks. We drive, but wear seat belts; we bike to work, but wear helmets; we drink alcohol, but don’t get behind the wheel of a car right afterward; we have swimming pools in our yards, but have fences around them. So can we return to some semblance of normal, but do it without endangering ourselves or others?"

"There’s a lot of shaming on the internet of people who want to go out and do things, and this makes us question our desires to do so. Yes, we all want to survive this pandemic. But we also need to learn to live with COVID around us and take steps to protect ourselves and our communities. Ultimately, most of the risks we will all take won’t be about pedicures, or haircuts, or eating at a steakhouse. They will be about seeing the people we love, being with the people who sustain us, interacting in a way that makes us feel human."

You can read the whole thing at I’m an ER doctor. Here’s what I feel OK doing as my state reopens.
Closed Thread

Tags
people, risks, responsible, normal, wear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.