What is the Villages response to the Carona Virus

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2020, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
The “100 yards” analogy to shaking hands is absurd. Huge difference, Doc.
Just a hyperbole on how far people would be willing to go to "socially distance" themselves
Old 03-12-2020, 08:16 AM
Default A letter from a person who is stuck in Milan, Italy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houselover View Post
When will The Villages get on board with the rest of the world and cancel events at the Sharon, Savannah Center, and other events where large numbers of people gather in a confined area? Is the NBA and the rest of sports world the only organization who understand the serious nature of the Corona virus..
Stanford parent wrote and posted this. Very insightful...
It was posted on stsnford parents Facebook page.
I am in Milan in the heart of the coronavirus red zone . I know we are all sick of hearing about it. I certainly am, but I wanted to share these thoughts because I feel like there is a lot of misinformation out there. Considering we've been in some form of lockdown for three weeks now (now drastic measures are being taken and we are quarantined at home), I feel like I've become somewhat of an expert on this. At least, this is my experience and what I've learned in these weeks.

We are fine physically (for now), but, mentally, quarantine conditions and the devastating news around us does take its toll. To anyone anywhere saying, “Hey, it’s just the flu” or “The flu causes more deaths per year,” STOP. The rate of transmission with coronavirus is much higher and none of us is vaccinated against it. Worse, it causes a type of pneumonia that can leave patients in intensive care for weeks. The idea that it only affects the elderly or those with immune disorders is also wrong.

No healthcare system in the world can handle the onslaught this virus brings with it, and we should not put our doctors and nurses in a position where they have to decide who gets the last bed in intensive care, who gets the last respirator.

The hospital down the road where my children were born has had to adopt a “selection protocol” whereby they decide who lives or dies, and this is something that hasn’t been enacted since World War II. As someone who has been mired in all of this since Feb. 24. I would just like to give some advice to anyone in the world in an area where coronavirus is starting to ramp up. First and foremost, you don’t necessarily need to hoard toilet paper but you should get stocked up on your prescriptions. Primary-care doctors are at great risk of being exposed to coronavirus, so if they are taken out of commission (and even once the madness reaches fever pitch), it makes it harder for you to get the things you need. Also, once this is widespread, medical offices, hospitals and pharmacies are not places you want to hang out.

Finally, we are all soldiers in this fight. The less we are out and about, moving around, the more this virus dies out. We may have to be inconvenienced or have to change our habits for a while, but our actions have a direct impact on the lives of everyone around us, with effects that are felt far and wide.

Michelle Schoenung, freelance journalist and translator living in Milan
Old 03-12-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
If you're concerned don't go. Why do we always expect organizations or governments or corporations to usurp personal responsibility? Disney is still open, movie theaters are still open, Broadway theaters are still open, restaurants are still open, and here, the squares and all the stores and restaurants are also open. Self quarantine is an option if you are concerned (assuming you can find toilet paper). Minor league baseball continues, NASCAR continues, Olympic trials continue so not sure "the rest of the sports world" is with the NBA and college basketball. That may change but asking government to take charge of my life is not anywhere near my wheelhouse.
One of THE most intelligent and concise replies I've ever read in this forum.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:32 AM

Nice advice, but The Villages is in a unique position that is unique inthe world. We are more suseptible to the extreme cases, when it hits. I expect The Villages to inform us that yhe are enough test kits for anyone who needs to be tested, as well as hospital personnel trained and ready to care for people who contract the virus. THAT's what we need to hear.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
All that you have to fear is fear itself said eloquently by FDR, you don’t want to be exposed, stay home, the only chances that you have to contract this is contact with an individual that has it, currently there are no one with Corona Virus anywhere close to here. Live your life, but please let others live theirs as they choose, yes the Hospitals are on top of all the issues and if anyone is exposed there are procedures in place right now. Again don’t fuel the fears Our media is overdoing it and scaring people!!!! Just be cautious wash your hands often, maintain a bottle of alcohol based sanitizer in every vehicle and if female in your pocketbook, use it often!!!!!!!!! by the way masks are of no use unless you get an actual respirator
this article explains why cancelled events can save lives.

Coronavirus US: How canceled classes and events and self-quarantines save lives, in one chart - Vox
Old 03-12-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
even if coronavirus rate of mortality is "only" 1%, that's 10 times the rate of the flu. coronavirus a is a novel virus....we have no built up immunity from past exposures. there is no shot as there is for the flu. the constant comparison to the flu is causing a false sense of security to some.
Unlike most seasonal flu and H1N1, Coronovirus (COVID-19) has no effective antiviral treatment drugs and Corona has had a lack of testing.

Undiagnosed illnesses means all of the statistics are understated. Both the numbers of those infected as well as those who have died have been under-reported. If someone had no positive diagnostic test and died at home, the cause of death would NOT have been reported as Coronovirus.

And why should we entrust our lives to China or Iran’s reports. They aren’t honest. They don’t want the economic issues and panic so why wouldn’t they report less infections and deaths?

PLEASE Use your own best judgment to protect yourself. If you get sick, ONE will be the only number you’ll care about. Denial increases your risk of exposure. And those who deny they are sick may inflict their illness on others.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecaturFargo View Post
Nice advice, but The Villages is in a unique position that is unique inthe world. We are more suseptible to the extreme cases, when it hits. I expect The Villages to inform us that yhe are enough test kits for anyone who needs to be tested, as well as hospital personnel trained and ready to care for people who contract the virus. THAT's what we need to hear.
We're not all that unique. We are one of many 55+ retirement communities in Florida and other states. And since the treatment at this time is purely supportive, medical personnel don't need any special training
Old 03-12-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Heck View Post
Some replies miss the larger point. Yes, avoiding the crowds will protect you. But having infected persons within those crowds will spread the virus wider, quicker, and more will be infected. More will need a hospital that is already at capacity. More will die. TV is full of old folks with health conditions already.
If 1% death rate is accurate then that’s 3.3 million Americans who would die.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALadysMom View Post
If 1% death rate is accurate then that’s 3.3 million Americans who would die.
Ridiculous That assumes 100% of the population gets infected. Get real and stop adding to the panic
Old 03-12-2020, 09:11 AM

I'm with you Mrs. Heck 100% percent!!
Old 03-12-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com View Post
All that you have to fear is fear itself said eloquently by FDR
That was from a man (FDR) who had POLIO—a communicable illness that had no vaccine nor treatment at the time he contracted it.

He was not referring to a virulent communicable illness when he said that.

Since he personally suffered lifelong after-effects, I doubt FDR would have been cavalier about viral illnesses.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
When will The Villages get on board with the rest of the world and cancel events at the Sharon, Savannah Center, and other events where large numbers of people gather in a confined area? Is the NBA and the rest of sports world the only organization who understand the serious nature of the Corona virus..
Let me know when public schools close. That is the true litmus test on what the government considers safe. Not saying if it is right or not. Just what government thinks is safe or not. Hey, just saying.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:18 AM
Default Attendance is not mandatory

you are welcome to self quarantine.
Quote:
Old 03-12-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Not necessarily true. According to DNA/RNA sequencing, all of our "modern" coronaviruses (swine, bird, SARS, MERS) are direct descendants of the 1918-1919 Spanish flu virus, so there will be some degree of "herd immunity", in addition to natural immunity from B cell histocompatibility testing within our own lymphatic and reticuloendothelial systems
Didn’t keep my son from becoming seriously ill from H1N1 and did not keep my cousins 24 year old healthy daughter from dying from seasonal flu type B in 2018.
herd immunity did not help them.

It will matter a lot more to you if it infects you or someone you love.

When I hear about annual flu deaths I always think that one of those was her.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:29 AM

South Korea took drastic action and cut the spread. We all give up certain liberties , we use seatbelts because it’s mandated by federal law. It’s called living in civilization
Closed Thread

Tags
rest, villages, virus, events, world

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.