Where is all the covid vaccine??

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2021, 08:27 AM

Florida Vaccine info: http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_pa...ort_latest.pdf

Avg. is about 1 million/day in U.S. Once Johnson & Johnson & others get approved from Warp Speed, will increase.

U.S. and World info: Bloomberg Vaccine info

Last edited by Shish; 01-24-2021 at 08:39 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-24-2021, 08:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
If you can believe the CDC numbers, 2.9 million distributed and 1.5 million given, those excess must be for the promised second dosage. Doesn’t that make sense?
It would seem to make sense but....Sumter county has said they will prioritize people who are scheduled for their second shot, but it is all dependent on receiving the vaccines, and they don't know when that will happen. Luckily, its not cast in stone that the second shot be given exactly 3 or 4 weeks after the first, depending on the vaccine. There is some leeway.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:44 AM
Default Orange County Convention Center Vaccine

We got a vaccine yesterday at the Orange County Convention Center. Our appointment was between 3-4pm. We arrived approximately 2:45 & there was no line. From the time we entered the convention center the individual checked our bar code on our phones to ensure we were there on correct date. We followed the maze around & pulled right up into the parking garage where where they checked us in, asked normal covid questions, stuck a bar code label on our shirt & pulled up to where injections are given. Once injected they provided a card with injection info & asked us to bring it back on our next appointment for 2nd injection. We were then instructed to drive out of parking garage to a waiting area for 15-30 mins to ensure no reaction. Upon leaving that area you were checked out, bar code scanned asked a few more questions. Our total time was approximately 30 minutes. On another note, my sis & husband had a 10 to 11 time slot. They arrived at 9:40 & the line of cars was long. It took them an hour & a half to get up to the parking garage where injections are given. Overall it was very efficient & well organized.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
They should have contracted the whole thing to private industry and it would have run much more smoothly.

Companies like Walgreens and CVS would have done a much better job.

Letting all these different parts of Fed and State govt get involved makes a mess out of distribution
The last I saw was that the manufacturers were shipping about 975000 doses per day ramping up to a million or more does per day by the end of the month. They are then shipped via UPS, FEDX etc to the states. I’m not sure what the allocation is by state, but once it reaches the states it is up to the state to get it into the arms of the people. It was felt by the prior administration that the states would be better able to determine the unique circumstances of their own states. The problem is some states are far more efficient at getting the shots to the people. In certain states like FL, they are more efficient and thus supply does no keep up with demand. In some states’ there is vaccine sitting in cold storage units because they cannot, for whatever reason, get it into peoples arms. I have to disagree with you regarding using Walgreens and CVS to do the shots, they are not equipped to handle this. When you try to make an appointment with them they schedule one shot every ten to fifteen minutes. Doing this it will take forever to vaccinate everyone. Once there is enough supply, they need to set up mass vaccination sites like stadiums, fire stations, convention centers etc. In Massachusetts one of the mass vaccination sites is Gillette stadium where the New England Patriots play. This is the only way you will be able to vaccinate people fast enough to make a difference. In The Villages, you could use the Polo grounds, the football stadium, the softball fields, the fire stations etc. I can remember in the 70’s, I’m not sure what flu it was, but they vaccinated people at the schools. You got in line and they were giving shots at the rate of one every ten or fifteen seconds not minutes. You get two or three lines going that’s a lot of shots every day. That’s the way to vaccinate people in a pandemic, not at your local drug stores.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
After researching as best I can, it appears to be temporary and will get fixed

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...tes-shortages/
There have been about 850,000 doses a day distributed to patients. That may seem like a big number but at that with 330,000,000 citizens it will take two years for everyone to get two doses.

Hopefully the number will begin to increase. As Bucco said, it is temporary and will get fixed.

There has been a steep learning curve at every step of this pandemic. Scientist and experts have said one thing only to contradict themselves a month late. The amazing thing is that we have a vaccine after only 9 months of beginning to develop it. This is the fastest that a drug has ever come to market and will affect the development of life saving drugs in the future.

Everyone just has to calm down and realize that it is going to take some time for this to get done. I don't think that it's going to take two years as I expect the manufacturing and distribution rate to increase as we learn.

It seems as though many people believed that 330 million people were going to be vaccinated within a few days. Hopefully we can have the majority of us vaccinated by summer.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:12 AM

Great original post. Unfortunately, like most posts, replies quickly stray from the initial topic.

Every night we hear from the news about how may cases and deaths have been reported. We hear nothing about the numbers that pertain to the vaccine production and distribution.

I do not believe it is intentional. I think it is incompetence and the federal and state level. There is no other explanation as to why the basic data cited in the post isn't available.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Somewhere in the information chain and among those in a position to know.....there is information available about how many doses per day are being shipped from the different manufacturers. Based on ramping up before approval discussions in the 4th quarter of 2020, it must certainly be in the millions per day by now (my WAG).

And it is most assuredly known where the doses are being shipped .......

To have gone for two weeks since the vaccination site has shut down operations (the governors photo op boasting service to TV) with no more information than was available then is a mystery....

Apparently not of interest to the media as they have not been of any help in revealing the problem or where do we go from here.

Much of what we see and hear, or not, tends to a conclusion we are being managed/misled/kept in the dark for some reason.

Warp speed has slowed to a stop with no explanation to the general public.

I am not intimating any conspiracy type theories. Just advocating the information that we know is available is not being utilized in communicating current situation or future expectations to the general public.

Are we being had? If so, for what reason?

Desantis and his team of contacts surely cannot stay behind closed doors for much longer without addressing why his promised actions and results have fallen completely flat and what they ARE DOING ABOUT IT!

unacceptable communications thus far;
....we ran out and there is a shortage....we will let you know....

[just taking a minute to vent!!!!]

Sort of reminds me of the first oil embargo. Who has gasoline now? We were all venting then as well.

That, if we recall was a major pain. At least it was for me, I needed gasoline to do my job-no work no pay.

This situation is actually worse. We are not talking earning money but risk of life itself.
Add to that the fact that there are right now two shots Pfizer and Moderna and both require two shots weeks apart.

I am 70 and have a pre-existing medical issue. I in the race to the sale on the latest holiday toy, have not been able to secure a first dose. Once you get the first dose, frankly I don't know what the latitude is to get the second dose as far as time. I also doubt there is any valid information about getting the moderna followed up by the Pfizer
or the other way around.

I am glad I do not need to make the decisions. It is far easier to complain.

Sort of reminds me of the history of the Titanic. The band played on. Women and children first? There were,"men," that said my life is more important.

Right or wrong, I would not want to be the one making the decisions. Far easier to complain.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:30 AM

Could it be that the governor is assuring allocation to counties with residents who are in jobs as opposed to those in retirement?
Old 01-24-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman1941 View Post
Could it be that the governor is assuring allocation to counties with residents who are in jobs as opposed to those in retirement?
That is an good idea. Taking care of families with jobs and kids first makes sense.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:40 AM
Platinum member

no one is suggesting the developer take over the job of vaccine distribution. I think what many feel is that the developer would have a vested interest in getting our population vaccinated as soon as possible and should have political connections to help facilitate that for say the Villages Heath system. Through that system which has the facilities and staff to give vaccinations on a large scale distribution to many could be accomplished. you can read about other areas in Florida (very wealthy ones) that were able to get doses for their communities. try googling "rich in Florida get vaccines". I was in a doctor's ofc. Friday and they have no idea when they will be able to get the vaccine and since they see people every day, it would be logical that there would be some system for them to get vaccinated, but they have heard nothing.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:48 AM
Default Vaccines

Quote:
They should have contracted the whole thing to private industry and it would have run much more smoothly.

Letting all these different parts of Fed and State govt get involved makes a mess out of distribution
It is not the distribution, it’s the production It’s coming
Old 01-24-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I have been paying attention to the papers I read and trying to get some sense of where the vaccine is. I haven't had any success.

• - Pfizer says it has some vaccine in storage that the US hasn't requested yet
  • - The US says it has delivered all that the States have requested
  • - The States say it's a supply problem and they can't get any more from the US
  • - Some statistics show 40M doses shipped but only 19M used
  • - I think I remember a promise of 100M doses by the end of December. Even if that was later reduced to 50M it still leaves the question of where are the doses promised for December and where are the doses manufactured in the last three weeks?
  • - Some articles say a large number of the doses that have been provided to CVS and Walgreens for nursing homes have not yet been used
  • - GMR seemed to claim they had a source for 90,000 doses - those doses fell through soon after the news conference
  • - I believe I saw today that Florida expected to receive 266,000 doses this week. That may sound like a lot but when divided among the 70ish counties in the State with Sumter being somewhere in the middle it works out to few doses for us.

I have to believe a product with as much visibility as the vaccine would be tracked very closely. Amazon can tell me whether that pair of socks I ordered is in the warehouse or on the truck or on my doorstep. I am skeptical that no one knows which ultra-low temperature freezers are holding 20M doses of this very valuable product.
In order for the 100 million doses to be met, the suppliers would have to ramp up the manufacturing process greatly. Using Amazon as an example is not going to work. They are a private company with excellent and predictable inventory control. At present, the two approved vaccines have different distribution parameters. Pfizer requires storage at -70C which many places do not have. Consequently their distribution is hampered by the lack of refrigeration to accomplish this. Moderna can be stored in a normal refrigeration unit without special handling. Having the states and other political organizations help distribute the vaccine introduces another variable. The local political organizations should have a far better idea of where the vaccines should go. The changing guidelines at the CDC don't help. In my opinion, front line essential workers should be first, followed by anyone with the dangerous comorbidities regardless of age, then the older groups in decreasing age categories. The logic behind this is the front line workers are the most likely to catch and spread the virus to those around them. Those with comorbidities are the most likely to require hospital care which taxes the system and are most likely to die. After that, the older ones down to the youngest who seem to fight it off easier are in line.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltma View Post
It is not the distribution, it’s the production It’s coming
So where is the production? Pfizer for example has to have a production schedule which the fed govt should have and than tell each state when they will get more.

This is much harder than it needs to be.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoa1kale2 View Post
In order for the 100 million doses to be met, the suppliers would have to ramp up the manufacturing process greatly. Using Amazon as an example is not going to work. They are a private company with excellent and predictable inventory control. At present, the two approved vaccines have different distribution parameters. Pfizer requires storage at -70C which many places do not have. Consequently their distribution is hampered by the lack of refrigeration to accomplish this. Moderna can be stored in a normal refrigeration unit without special handling. Having the states and other political organizations help distribute the vaccine introduces another variable. The local political organizations should have a far better idea of where the vaccines should go. The changing guidelines at the CDC don't help. In my opinion, front line essential workers should be first, followed by anyone with the dangerous comorbidities regardless of age, then the older groups in decreasing age categories. The logic behind this is the front line workers are the most likely to catch and spread the virus to those around them. Those with comorbidities are the most likely to require hospital care which taxes the system and are most likely to die. After that, the older ones down to the youngest who seem to fight it off easier are in line.
100M doses by the end of 2020 is what we were told in November/December with the number later being dropped to 50M. The information I can find today says 41M doses shipped which is clearly less than what we were told we would see and 24 days later. Production seems to be the issue here.

But the problem cannot be entirely production. The same source that showed 41M doses shipped also showed 20M doses used (17M vaccinated with 3M having received the 2nd dose). It seems 40M produced - 20M used means 20M doses that must be sitting somewhere. MAYBE they are set aside for the health care workers and residents of nursing homes. MAYBE they are set aside for the 14M who still need their second shot. MAYBE someone knows where they are but that information isn't readily available.

The storage requirements of the vaccine should make tracking it easier, not harder. Since few facilities have the freezers necessary for the vaccine there are fewer possible destinations which makes tracking easier.

The CDC requirements have not changed significantly, if at all. Health care workers and nursing homes followed by certain front-line workers, those over 75, and those with certain medical conditions. The only deviation for us is DeSantis opening the door to 65 and over and prioritizing age over less-critical front-line workers. Nothing in that affects production or the ability to track shipments.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-24-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Have you ever known the federal government to manage anything efficiently?
Closed Thread

Tags
information, reason, general, public, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.