Why is the new shingles vaccine (Shingrix) so expensive for Part D of Medicare?

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2020, 06:38 AM
Sage

Addressing the getting shingles once you've had the shot....it's still possible to contract them, but I was told then the case may be more mild. Nonetheless, getting them is nasty from what I'm told.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
New one on me that it will start to lose its effectiveness in 4 years. I would really not like to get shingles again.
It will still be effective. It'll just be only up to 85% effective, instead of over 95% effective.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:40 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
We seniors need this new shingles vaccine yet is very expensive with Part D prescription. I have SilverScripts and is $155 per vaccine and we must have two spread apart by several months.
Really disappointed as I really like Medicare with my supplemental and my Part D prescription.
Why do you need the new one......did you not get the old one
If you got the original one why do you need an other.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz@comcast.net View Post
I would discuss that with my doctor.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
CDC says new shingles vaccine is much more effective for older people. (read this)

I wonder if we called Publix and see if we can wait in the car in the parking lot until it is our turn to get the shot?

Shingrix vs Zostavax - What's the difference between them?
At Publix the line to get to the pharmacy counter is marked by big green Publix dots on the floor, in 6-foot increments. Only one person at the counter at a time. Once you're processed through the very brief paperwork, you're asked to sit to the side in an area designated for that. There are only two chairs there, each facing a different direction, several feet apart (theory: if you're facing the opposite direction NEXT to the other person, it's very unlikely that germs can transmit from one to the other even if it's less than 6 feet away, since you're not breathing toward them at all).

Keep in mind though - just as an FYI: the Shingrix shot hurts a little going in - might or might hurt for the next hour - but that night it'll be VERY sore. Your entire arm. The first night is the worst. The second day is tolerable, the second night is still sore but 100% bearable. The third day you're usually fine again.

Once you get the shot, raise and lower your arm, shrug your shoulder, flex your fingers on that arm continually for the next hour. That'll reduce the ache.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
We seniors need this new shingles vaccine yet is very expensive with Part D prescription. I have SilverScripts and is $155 per vaccine and we must have two spread apart by several months.
Really disappointed as I really like Medicare with my supplemental and my Part D prescription.
If you ever get shingles, you'll happily pay a lot more than $155 to get rid of it.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz@comcast.net View Post
1. I'm not seeing in that person's post anything about having received the old one.
2. If he got the old one, he'd know that it wears off at some point and has to be done again.
3. If he's going to have to do it again (or do it for the very first time ever) then he might as well get the one that'll last the longest, with the best efficacy of the two.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:00 AM

I just received the shots. Part 1 two months ago and Part 2 last week. My total cost for both shots was $84. I have Medicare BCBS PPO of MIchigan for my insurance. I do not know what insurance you have. It seems a little high cost for you. I would check into your insurance and see why it costs so much
Old 08-17-2020, 07:00 AM

I paid nothing for the vaccinations through my United Health Care policy.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:06 AM

My medicare plan paid the entire thing, no out of pocket at all. Everyone has a different plan for different reasons. I have Plan F and love it. I pay more but for me it's worth it, no worries and piece of mind. I'd suggest you look at plans closely during open enrollment and possibly find a better one for you. $155.00 is cheap compared to getting shingles, a friend had it and was in agony for 4 weeks.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:18 AM

Please, contact Prolia directly and they will assist in payment, even with insurance. Most people don’t realize that.

If you have questions, speak with the office manager of the physicians office you go to. They have direct access to the manufacturers.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-17-2020, 07:55 AM

I have had both Z (before Shingrix was manufactured) and then the 2 dose Shingrix shots. Insurance paid for all as it's considered preventative, even though given at Pharmacy. I would check w/ your supplemental, if you have one because mine was covered like the flu shot & pneumonia vaccine-
Old 08-17-2020, 08:06 AM

Yes, the 2-part Shingrex vaccine is fairly expensive. We are waiting until October to see if other prescription costs may cover our Medicare Part D deductable...then the Shingrex (at least the 2nd shot) should be covered or less costly....timing is 2 months apart.....it all depends on your particular part D plan
Old 08-17-2020, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
Only a month later ... any thought that the vaccine may have caused your shingles episode?
Not at all.

Several medical people I asked thought the logical explanation was my immunity via the vaccine was not fully in place yet. Also my family Dr whom I had the utmost faith in thought it might have been brewing in me before taking the vaccine.

Considering what my brother in law went thru in getting a full blown course of shingles I was kind of lucky.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:19 AM

Yeah, you would think the shots should be covered 100% given that it should, in my opinion, be considered preventative medicine. I have Humana Advantage in GA. My portion was $153.83 at Walmart Pharmacy. I'm not complaining about the cost especially considering the alternative. I wonder how much more than the $153.83 it would have cost Humana had I contracted Shingles?
Closed Thread

Tags
part, vaccine, prescription, shingles, expensive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.