Why is the new shingles vaccine (Shingrix) so expensive for Part D of Medicare?

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2020, 04:42 PM

Just today I found out that Shingrix is paid by your Medicare D plan! You pay whatever the copay if you have a Medicare Advantage Plan. So I just got the shot on Saturday and because I had not yet made my deductible, it cost me $179. I found out if I had gone to a place that accepts Humana (where I have my D plan) it would have cost me $126. So live and learn! This was the first shot. I will try to get the next one at Walmart Neighborhood.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

Keep in mind though - just as an FYI: the Shingrix shot hurts a little going in - might or might hurt for the next hour - but that night it'll be VERY sore. Your entire arm. The first night is the worst. The second day is tolerable, the second night is still sore but 100% bearable. The third day you're usually fine again.

Once you get the shot, raise and lower your arm, shrug your shoulder, flex your fingers on that arm continually for the next hour. That'll reduce the ache.
This bit about the pain is spot on. I had my first shot a couple of days ago, and am just now getting over it. I wish I had seen the part about reducing ache -- I'll try that when I get the second shot in a few months.
Closed Thread

Tags
part, vaccine, prescription, shingles, expensive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.