Why is there, such a "need" by so many to get covid tested....

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2022, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
The answer is so obvious. Those that won't test clearly don't care who they might infect. They're only thinking about themselves. The sad thing is that kids, many who have not been vaccinated yet, are the ones getting it and ending up in the hospital due to its severity.
NOT TRUE!!!!
Totally emotional/biased off the mark assertion!
Old 01-04-2022, 04:35 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,258 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I didn't read all the posts, but the workforce and the employers require them for both not working sick days and back to work, as well as air transportation, and hospital procedures. Employers won't accept rapid tests for a reason not to come to work. . . PCR test result different issue. . .

So yes, there are many reasons why people have to get PCR tests. How do I know? I ask a positive working person when he had to get PCR tests, and his answer was above. . . he wanted to use the rapid test results but that wasn't acceptable.

An answer i would not expect retirees to be familiar with. . .
Read post #11 in this thread. Even us retired folks read the news and keep up with current events.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 01-04-2022, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,311 Times in 4,319 Posts

Quote:
The answer is so obvious. Those that won't test clearly don't care who they might infect. They're only thinking about themselves. The sad thing is that kids, many who have not been vaccinated yet, are the ones getting it and ending up in the hospital due to its severity.
Sorry, but this is simply not true.

Despite what the headlines say, in reality, yes, they are seeing more kids in the hospital with positive covid tests. BUT... They are not being admitted for covid. They are being admitted for the normal kid things, and since they test EVERYONE admitted, they are seeing more incidental positive tests.

So, more kids are being admitted WITH an incidental positive covid test, NOT due to covid...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-04-2022, 05:02 PM
Platinum member

I have no idea as to why there is so much demand. I am very happy(for myself) that I am not doing anything(such as taking a cruise which requires a test. Hoping this calms down soon.

Saw one news cast that said there were vaccinations at same site and short lines.

Go figure!
Old 01-04-2022, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
A doctor told a friend of mine that he cannot get the pills.

The friend has tested positive with some pretty significant symptoms. He was told to take his pulse/ox and go to an ER if the numbers drop significantly. The doc said that the fact that he has been vaccinated and boosted is very much in his favor.

The ERs are full of Covid patients. The news in my home city in Ohio just reported that some of the hospitals are prioritizing necessary surgeries and postponing elective surgeries. One hospital even clearly announced that they are clearing beds for an onslaught of the unvaccinated. . .Just imagine someone needing a heart surgery but being put off because of somebody who refused the vaccine for no good reason.

Boomer
and then you realized Parse, that it was the other way around. Latest data out of Ontario, Canada shows over 70% of those in hospitals are vaxxed. Unfortunately, we don't keep those stats (we can see why now). SOURCE: COVID-19 vaccinations data | COVID-19 (coronavirus) in Ontario
Old 01-04-2022, 05:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caretaker View Post
Media FEAR!!
Agree it appears that there are way too many people are testing.

Media did not create the long lines of people in their cars waiting to get tested. Bet 80% of them were OK and not needing a test to do something like travel.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maistocars View Post
and then you realized Parse, that it was the other way around. Latest data out of Ontario, Canada shows over 70% of those in hospitals are vaxxed. Unfortunately, we don't keep those stats (we can see why now). SOURCE: COVID-19 vaccinations data | COVID-19 (coronavirus) in Ontario
Makes me glad I don't live in Canada at the moment. It looks like they are heading into another three weeks of no indoor dining at restaurants.

With over 90% of their teens and older vaccinated, it is little surprise that the people the virus finds to infect are primarily vaccinated - there just aren't many unvaccinated people left.

It looks like there are a little less than 100 cases for every 100,000 people in Ontario, CA. In Florida the number is currently 263 with a bullet. Whether it is their high vaccination rate or their restrictions, something seems to be working for Ontario.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-04-2022, 06:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Sorry, but this is simply not true.

Despite what the headlines say, in reality, yes, they are seeing more kids in the hospital with positive covid tests. BUT... They are not being admitted for covid. They are being admitted for the normal kid things, and since they test EVERYONE admitted, they are seeing more incidental positive tests.

So, more kids are being admitted WITH an incidental positive covid test, NOT due to covid...
According to the news, almost 199,000 child COVID-19 cases were reported during the week of Dec. 16-23, and children are being admitted to the hospital with Covid in record numbers. Experts lament that most of the youngsters are not vaccinated.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
Easy to say for you, but a family member who was vaccinated got it and ended up in the hospital for four days -- she has asthma which made her vulnerable. The whole point of vaccinations is as much about keeping yourself safe as saving the lives of others.
Kindly read my original post 44 and a question I received 51. It should give you more context to the post to which you responded.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,311 Times in 4,319 Posts

Quote:
According to the news, almost 199,000 child COVID-19 cases were reported during the week of Dec. 16-23, and children are being admitted to the hospital with Covid in record numbers. Experts lament that most of the youngsters are not vaccinated.
Did you not read what I wrote?

There is a difference between being admitted to the hospital and having a positive covid test and being admitted to the hospital DUE TO COVID...

And you just gave a perfect example of what I was talking about. The HEADLINES vs reality...

Once again, children are NOT being admitted to hospitals in record numbers DUE TO COVID...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-04-2022, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,008 Times in 4,171 Posts

Quote:
Now, define "a case" of COVID-19. Answer----a positive test. So more importantly, how many children are in the ICU and how many have died???? Last numbers I saw (yesterday) was that over 800,000 Americans died of?(with?) COVID and 779 were children. That's less than 0.1%. And the reason that most weren't vaccinated was that children who were vaccinated and then had a breakthrough case had very mild symptoms, almost indistinguishable from a cold. Also, note that vaccine approval for children 5-11 came fairly late in the game.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I don't recall test sites/locations having blocks/miles long lines of people waiting to get tested.

If the omicron strain is more flu like than delta.....with less need for hospitalization and less incidences of death....why the "seemingly" panic to get tested?

The demand during the regular covid strain and then the delta strain during 2021 did not seem to result in such demand?!
For purposes of "empathy"! No man (woman) is an island, therefore, if you are asymptomatic and have a viral load, then you MAY (?) want to NOT visit people in The Villages ( ALL are old) and KILL or hospitalize them. Just basic, "do unto others and etc"! So, you get tested.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Media hype
Both a fast-moving fire and a slow-moving fire can burn down your home, but a fast-moving fire is more likely to KILL you!
Old 01-04-2022, 08:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
But, you don’t have to pay out of pocket at free sites. Why no line at pay sites which are over charging. We the people have NO control how governments spend taxpayers money.
You can control government (but slowly) by elections every other November.
Old 01-04-2022, 08:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
We are trying to come back on line and…….Air travel requires testing, cruise lines require testing, medical workers require testing, etc. (some of the demand is not self imposed). We get our tests @ $40 a pop and hear it is going up to $50 soon. Believe me we don’t relish that added expense to fly or cruise
I am reluctant to fly and would DEFINATELY not go on a cruise. Too much life to live right here in the good old US of A!
Closed Thread

Tags
tested, strain, demand, delta, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.