Why is there, such a "need" by so many to get covid tested....

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2022, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It isn't "point in time." It's "recent, up to point in time."

It means you haven't had COVID RECENTLY. How recent? Well if you tested 5 days ago negative, and you test today negative, it means you have been negative for the past 5 days, UP TO now.

That means everyone YOU were in contact with, within the past 5 days, doesn't have to worry that you might have infected them.

That's a pretty significant monkey off someone's back, if they're visiting relatives who might be at risk.

Does this mean everyone should test every 5 days? I don't think so. But it does mean that if you are planning on visiting people you care about, then testing 5 days before you leave, and then the day before you leave, might not be a bad idea.
No. I won't do that unless I know for sure I was exposed by someone who was Covid positive and only if I were to be gathering with family or friends. If I were symptomatic, I would stay home. Now, if the gathering were a wedding or an occasion just as important, I may reconsider attending but get a home test. I still would not wait hours in line to be tested. I'd stay home.

Last edited by coffeebean; 01-12-2022 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
You didn't know it because it's simply NOT TRUE...
Whew! That is a relief.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:03 PM

They need something to post on Fakebook
Old 01-12-2022, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
""We test anybody who’s admitted to the hospital for whatever reason to see whether or not they have Covid, and we’re definitely seeing an increase in cases. However, we’re really not seeing an increase in children who are hospitalized for Covid or in the intensive care unit for Covid," Offit said.

According to the Department of Health and Human Services, patients are counted among those with Covid if they are suspected of having or laboratory-confirmed positive for the disease, even if they were not originally admitted to the hospital for that reason."

Child Covid hospitalizations are up, especially in 5 states
And from this article:
And the number of kids who simply occupied hospital beds each day, even if they ultimately weren't admitted to the hospital, reached a record average of 3,081 a day over the last seven-day period.
Not disputing that the reported numbers are high primarily due to increased testing. Just wish the reporting was more clear. While there are more children being tested and more tests coming back positive are there more children being admitted? Neither of the articles provide numbers and they seem to disagree on that point.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-12-2022, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
And from this article:
And the number of kids who simply occupied hospital beds each day, even if they ultimately weren't admitted to the hospital, reached a record average of 3,081 a day over the last seven-day period.
Not disputing that the reported numbers are high primarily due to increased testing. Just wish the reporting was more clear. While there are more children being tested and more tests coming back positive are there more children being admitted? Neither of the articles provide numbers and they seem to disagree on that point.
More kids being admitted WITH a positive covid test? Yes.

More kids being admitted BECAUSE of a positive covid test? A few...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-21-2022, 01:18 PM
Veteran member

funniest thread I've read yet. thanks!
Old 01-21-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I don't recall test sites/locations having blocks/miles long lines of people waiting to get tested.

If the omicron strain is more flu like than delta.....with less need for hospitalization and less incidences of death....why the "seemingly" panic to get tested?

The demand during the regular covid strain and then the delta strain during 2021 did not seem to result in such demand?!
I think most want the tests as they are free??
Old 01-21-2022, 02:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneko View Post
Because people are idiots. How many asymptomatic people are testing? It's like the tree falling in the forest lol. lf you test positive for covid, but have no symptoms, does it count? Well, answer is yes - which is why our positivity rate is way up, yet our hospitalizations arent.
Hmmm, perhaps it’s because many people are NOT idiots. They might simply be kind and unselfish folks who are asymptotic, but want to know if they have Covid so they can quarantine and not expose those who are at high risk of a bad outcome. Sometimes it’s not all about yourself, but what is better for others.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:00 PM

They will be starting a new club in the Villages soon called The Testing Club, with testing parties every M-W-F and prizes for those who test positive 3x in one day!
Old 01-21-2022, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I don't recall test sites/locations having blocks/miles long lines of people waiting to get tested.

If the omicron strain is more flu like than delta.....with less need for hospitalization and less incidences of death....why the "seemingly" panic to get tested?

The demand during the regular covid strain and then the delta strain during 2021 did not seem to result in such demand?!
Well. Omicron is more transmissible and the headline on the front page of the Daily Sun (our GLORIOUS journalistic achievement of a newspaper) states, "Omicron's spread pushes Sumter's positivity rate higher". One possible reason is the influx of unvaccinated folks from Midwestern states. This headline could convince some Village People that they need to "DO" something. A positive test gives a person the knowledge to quarantine for 5 to 10 days and to delay a trip to visit relatives that might be unvaccinated and have other conditions. Testing is needed to allow therapeutics like Regeneron to be used early before the disease gets established. Also, there is the need to know to monitor yourself closely to determine if it gets bad enough to go to a Hospital.
.....Knowing if a person is positive even if asymptomatic allows them to plan their life in case they get "long-haul" CV, which could have a significant effect on a person's future.
.......Some people may be planning a trip that requires a certificate of a negative test.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maistocars View Post
They will be starting a new club in the Villages soon called The Testing Club, with testing parties every M-W-F and prizes for those who test positive 3x in one day!
With a door prize to the person who generates the most new cases since the last meeting!!
Old 01-21-2022, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Fake testing sites are popping up in Philadelphia, used to steal identities. They’ve been doing it for weeks, the city just figured it out. They put pop up tents up in the streets.

City warns residents of fake pop-up COVID-19 testing sites
I wish that I were a Judge that could hand out criminal penalties for this type of operation.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
The unvaccinated are being lumped in with people who had Covid early pre vacc and have better resistance than the vaccinated….most conversations about this are muted by media that take advertising money from big pharma….if the vaccine is so good why do you need 3 or 4 of them? Think about it….Covid is leaving us as evidence is it’s half life potency….. but capitalism is going to squeeze every last dollar out of it…..and yes as a prior poster noted….people are stupid…
Prior infection wears off more quickly than actual vaccines. It also can lead to a FALSE sense of being immune. And little is known about "long haul" CV. I will go with the shots and boosters.....thank you very much!
Old 01-21-2022, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Prior infection wears off more quickly than actual vaccines.
Really?

This has flipped both ways but might want to check the most recent data.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
If you have possible symptoms but a negative test, you don’t have to go into quarantine. If you have symptoms and a positive test, then if you are a person with morals who deserves to be considered human, you go into quarantine until you are negative so you don’t spread it. If you’ve spent time with someone positive, you could have an asymptomatic case that spreads to others and may put them in the hospital—or the graveyard. Again, it comes down to whether you have morals and live your neighbor as yourself or are just selfish.
I agree! Well spoken!
Closed Thread

Tags
tested, strain, demand, delta, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.