Why is there, such a "need" by so many to get covid tested....

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2022, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Why is there, such a "need" by so many to get covid tested....

I don't recall test sites/locations having blocks/miles long lines of people waiting to get tested.

If the omicron strain is more flu like than delta.....with less need for hospitalization and less incidences of death....why the "seemingly" panic to get tested?

The demand during the regular covid strain and then the delta strain during 2021 did not seem to result in such demand?!
Old 01-03-2022, 06:31 PM

Because people are idiots. How many asymptomatic people are testing? It's like the tree falling in the forest lol. lf you test positive for covid, but have no symptoms, does it count? Well, answer is yes - which is why our positivity rate is way up, yet our hospitalizations arent.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I don't recall test sites/locations having blocks/miles long lines of people waiting to get tested.

If the omicron strain is more flu like than delta.....with less need for hospitalization and less incidences of death....why the "seemingly" panic to get tested?

The demand during the regular covid strain and then the delta strain during 2021 did not seem to result in such demand?!
Media hype
Old 01-03-2022, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Only at free sites.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I was wondering about that myself. Am I missing something?
Old 01-03-2022, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Only at free sites.
Yep---those would be the "free" sites that we, the taxpayer, are funding
Old 01-03-2022, 07:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Yep---those would be the "free" sites that we, the taxpayer, are funding
But, you don’t have to pay out of pocket at free sites. Why no line at pay sites which are over charging. We the people have NO control how governments spend taxpayers money.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I have no need or desire to be tested. I have only been tested 3 times and 2 of those were because I was in urgent care not feeling well. The other time was when I needed a negative test to enter a state.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

With as many new cases as we're seeing each day in this state right now, why bother? If people were dying in the street or the hospitals were warehousing people in the parking lot I might get tested. For now if I think there's a chance I might have it I'll just try to stay away from people or wear a mask when I go out. For now I'm feeling good and will continue on with my life.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-03-2022, 07:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,608 Times in 945 Posts

Fake testing sites are popping up in Philadelphia, used to steal identities. They’ve been doing it for weeks, the city just figured it out. They put pop up tents up in the streets.

City warns residents of fake pop-up COVID-19 testing sites
Old 01-03-2022, 07:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,248 Times in 362 Posts

I've been asking myself the same question and waiting for some pundit to explain it.

I realize that some people need to be tested - health care workers, teachers, international travelers, and a few others.

I don't see the point for the majority of us if asymptomatic. If one tests today and is negative the peace of mind gained only last until their taillights clear the parking lot. A person is just as likely tomorrow to contact the virus as they were today.

WAY too many people buy the administration/media hype and just rush to follow the crowd.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 01-03-2022, 08:01 PM

are we going to have to go back into lockdown? gees I hope not! Really miss being out and about!
Old 01-03-2022, 08:20 PM

I agree with all of the above.
Where the heck are the therapeutics? I thought they passed the FDA weeks ago. Just like Tamaflu they can treat the virus so if you get it you recover quickly.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

I don't think there's any more need than previously. I think it's more a matter of increased quantity based on stagnant percentages.

HYPOTHETICAL EXPLANATION:

Two months before "Omicron", 100 people felt some general symptoms of covid, including minor cold or flu symptoms.
In addition, 100 people wanted to fly to countries that required testing.

Immediately before Omicron, more people felt comfortable about travel, and more countries relaxed some of their requirements. And so immediately before Omicron, 200 people booked trips instead of previous 100 people.

In the first weeks of Omicron, 200 people felt symptoms, compared to 100 people who felt them previous to Omicron.

PLUS it's Flu and Cold season, so people don't know what they're sick with, and 50 people would rather be sure so they can treat their sickness appropriately.

So if there's a 50% increase in people demanding tests, it's probably because there's a 100% increase in people who are doing the things that would prompt them to get tested than there were months ago.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:12 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadeofdave View Post
I agree with all of the above.
Where the heck are the therapeutics? I thought they passed the FDA weeks ago. Just like Tamaflu they can treat the virus so if you get it you recover quickly.
A doctor told a friend of mine that he cannot get the pills.

The friend has tested positive with some pretty significant symptoms. He was told to take his pulse/ox and go to an ER if the numbers drop significantly. The doc said that the fact that he has been vaccinated and boosted is very much in his favor.

The ERs are full of Covid patients. The news in my home city in Ohio just reported that some of the hospitals are prioritizing necessary surgeries and postponing elective surgeries. One hospital even clearly announced that they are clearing beds for an onslaught of the unvaccinated. . .Just imagine someone needing a heart surgery but being put off because of somebody who refused the vaccine for no good reason.

Boomer
Closed Thread

Tags
tested, strain, demand, delta, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.