Wife is really spooked over COVID-19

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That's pretty good----all immunocompromised patients are at increased risk, but not all persons at increased risk are immunocompromised----I like it, thanks

I may have been a bit harsh with a few fellow TOTVers, but I've been trying to clarify any posts that may needlessly frighten people.
And no, I don't know anywhere near everything, but I'm pretty sure I know a lot more medical science than someone who went to a 4 session course taught by a PA.
PS. I still have no idea what the PA was trying to say, except it made no sense, a kind of medical gibberish
I really want to quit this with you. BTW how many of us laymen actually took the time even be it 4 sessions to further our knowledge. Common on be a big boy we are on the same wavelength. The point was people not only need to protect themselves but should think about others that are at higher risks. It's like glitter. They have no idea what they touched and the residue left behind. The higher risk may not be able to fight it off as well as the healthy. Simple as that. BTW I could not shoot 76 anymore if the hole was a bushel basket.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I really want to quit this with you. BTW how many of us laymen actually took the time even be it 4 sessions to further our knowledge. Common on be a big boy we are on the same wavelength. The point was people not only need to protect themselves but should think about others that are at higher risks. It's like glitter. They have no idea what they touched and the residue left behind. The higher risk may not be able to fight it off as well as the healthy. Simple as that. BTW I could not shoot 76 anymore if the hole was a bushel basket.
I have no problem with you whatsoever, just back and forth jabs--just ask coldnomore about it. I see you are trying to warn people to protect themselves, which I agree with, but I generally think they can be protected without panic and fear, and hate to see that promoted. You are by no means the worst offender in that category. If I was harsh with you I apologize, you should see what I had to say about the **** (fill in the blank) who was predicting 5 million deaths
I'm always happy to see people continuing their education and taking courses, I wasn't trying to demean you or the PA (although the quote you provided still looks like gibberish). A course like the one you described is about 1000% better than the people who look something up on the internet, don't understand it, then tell me I'm wrong----in capital letters
BTW, I have type 2 DM, so I'm at increased risk as well, but probably less so than anyone that has a true immunocompromised state
So stay well, you've certainly proved yourself

BTW---76 is a lot easier when you're playing goofy golf putting at a PVC pipe. I took pot shots at all the par 3 pin positions trying to hit the pipe, as well as trying to hit the par 5s from 280 out
Old 03-25-2020, 08:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I have no problem with you whatsoever, just back and forth jabs--just ask coldnomore about it. I see you are trying to warn people to protect themselves, which I agree with, but I generally think they can be protected without panic and fear, and hate to see that promoted. You are by no means the worst offender in that category. If I was harsh with you I apologize, you should see what I had to say about the **** (fill in the blank) who was predicting 5 million deaths
I'm always happy to see people continuing their education and taking courses, I wasn't trying to demean you or the PA (although the quote you provided still looks like gibberish). A course like the one you described is about 1000% better than the people who look something up on the internet, don't understand it, then tell me I'm wrong----in capital letters
BTW, I have type 2 DM, so I'm at increased risk as well, but probably less so than anyone that has a true immunocompromised state
So stay well, you've certainly proved yourself

BTW---76 is a lot easier when you're playing goofy golf putting at a PVC pipe. I took pot shots at all the par 3 pin positions trying to hit the pipe, as well as trying to hit the par 5s from 280 out
Thanks Doc I totally respect what you did here. Stay healthy and keep us informed.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
AND we haven't cooked this much in a looooong time!
Exactly!! Maybe women are worried because now they have to cook (when will this be over!). And maybe men aren't that concerned because they get to stay home and get a home-cooked meal. That's my theory.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack58033 View Post
Because they are smarter then we are.
I'm sure you know what is the status in your family but people should not presume to speak for others. Self-deprecating comments have always amused me, especially when others are included in the "population" to which one is referring. Personally, I think women, as a group (not all, by any means - because it's being bred out of them by society) tend to be more emotional over current events because they are emotional creatures. This is the same attribute which makes them, as a group, less aggressive, more nurturing, empathetic and sensitive - all qualities in women that I am familiar with and admire. Of course, the society we currently have, downplays those attributes that we have traditionally classified as feminine, in days gone by, to the detriment of women as a whole.

Fred
Old 03-26-2020, 07:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskathyb View Post
In my group of friends it seems that the wives are much more spooked then the husbands are.

Agree/Disagree?

If true, Why?

(I would need to be a psychologist to explain it.)
Just a suggestion: Get a kind of difficult puzzle start with 300 or so together, graduate to say 500.....together...I really think it will help.

Hallmark @ Sumter has them go together and pick one that you both like.

You will laugh and … hopefully this will help.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Exactly!! Maybe women are worried because now they have to cook (when will this be over!). And maybe men aren't that concerned because they get to stay home and get a home-cooked meal. That's my theory.
Lol, in my family it’s hubby who likes to cook. I do too but sometimes we can get in each other’s way.

My theory is, historically women were the nurturers (ok, not all women, some men are better) they were the mothers, often looked after the vulnerable and so probably they were the more cautious, the more fearful (if you please) because of that role. When an invisible, enemy threatens they may react a little more drastically than men.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I think your textbook needs an update. Used to be Type 1 was known for compromised immune systems. But in the last ten years studies are also showing Type 2 compromise also. I just completed a 4 session course here in TV by a PA whose entire career was diabetes related field. That's what they are teaching now. In my case it's immaterial since I am immune compromised from other ailments. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

The lesson went something like
"Type 2 diabetes is now a worldwide epidemic, strongly correlated with an elevated incidence of obesity. Obesity-associated adipose tissue inflammation is a major cause of the decreased insulin sensitivity seen in type 2 diabetes. Recent studies have shed light on the crosstalk between the immune system and organismal metabolism"

I don't pretend to understand it.
Early research suggests that the two types of diabetes may have more in common than previously believed. In the last decade, researchers have tested the idea that type 2 diabetes is an autoimmune disease, similar to type 1 diabetes.
Researchers have found evidence that insulin resistance may be the result of immune system cells attacking the body’s tissues. These cells are designed to produce the antibodies that fight invading bacteria, germs, and viruses.
In people with type 2 diabetes, these cells may mistakenly attack healthy tissue.

The research suggesting that type 2 diabetes is an autoimmune disease represents a major advancement in medicine and in our understanding of the condition. Greater understanding of what might be causing type 2 diabetes is vital to providing the best and most effective treatments.
Future research could confirm that it is indeed an autoimmune disease. Then treatment and prevention will turn to novel therapies and medicines. This research opens the door to wider discussions about why and how diabetes develops — and what can be done to stop it.
More research is needed before type 2 diabetes is considered an autoimmune disease. Until that time, talk with your doctor about the future of this research. It’s good to have an ongoing conversation with them about the most recent diabetes research.
Is Type 2 Diabetes an Autoimmune Disease? What the Research Says

Tags
spooked, agree/disagree, true, psychologist, husbands

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.