Wondering- Any Medical Conditions that Improve/Worsen in Fla. Climate

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2022, 08:54 AM

My dry eye condition has completely cleared! 🙂
Old 11-25-2022, 09:00 AM
Sage

I've got both osteoarthritis as well as rheumatoid arthritis. I feel better here than when we visit the midwest (that's in summer even). I do have allergies---as many others attest to, depending on what triggers yours, you'll experience them here. I'm thankful though for the ability as well as the opportunity to live here. It's been a blessing for sure.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,132 Times in 2,767 Posts

In general, seniors tend to be healthier in the Villages because they are more active and the weather is warmer (allergies aside). A body in motion stays in motion. Unfortunately, Villagers are also more likely to have a worse outcome if they have a negative health event because the health care system in the area is typically far inferior to where they moved from.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
We will move to TV in 8 months. We have lived in New England all our lives. I'm wondering if people have noticed that any health conditions have improved or worsened; such as allergies, etc. (or developed) in the Florida climate- Thanks
Only if don't like love bugs, Zeka/malaria-carrying mosquitos, African honeybees, fire ants, cockroaches (excuse me - Palmetto Bugs), alligators, crocodiles, water moccasins and eastern diamondback rattlesnakes, sharks, alligator gar, stinging jellyfish or various other poisonous fish, spiders or house plants fatal to your pets. The hot and humid weather, sink holes, roofs ripped off by hurricanes, floods from excessive rain, and termite damage just add to the experience. Don't fret though, the Senior Belly Dancers, Precision Golf Cart Drivers and Village Cheerleaders make it all tolerable.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGo View Post
Allergies have increased since moving here from gulf coast.
I am guessing that the winds blowing in from the Gulf waters had less pollen in them than here in the center of the state. But near the Gulf, there may be periods of Red Tide.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake57 View Post
Don't drive your golf cart while drunk, and you will certainly be overall happier and healthier here. Sunshine, social opportunities and physical activities all lead to overall wellbeing.
Hubby and I can agree with this one considering on our first day here two weeks ago we came much too close to being mowed down by a drunk golf cart driver in LSL parking lot at 8:30pm. The only reason we didn’t get hit is because we jumped out of the way at the last minute, and then he suddenly stopped and slurred an apology to us. Scary!
Old 11-25-2022, 11:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
1) Because my doctor lives in Massachusetts.

2) I have medical conditions that trouble me every day and I'm wondering if there is hope they might go away in 8 months- gives me something to look forward to.

3) It was my understanding this was a place where friendly, mature people came to converse in the form of asking and answering questions. Judging from the overwhelmingly kind, mature answers I got to my question- compared to your reply I'd say I was about 99.9% correct.

Thanks for the background noise.
You can expect about 90% on a good day.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,132 Times in 2,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
Only if don't like love bugs, Zeka/malaria-carrying mosquitos, African honeybees, fire ants, cockroaches (excuse me - Palmetto Bugs), alligators, crocodiles, water moccasins and eastern diamondback rattlesnakes, sharks, alligator gar, stinging jellyfish or various other poisonous fish, and spiders.
I’ll take a whole bunch of everyone of the above listed undesirables over a single deer tick up north.
Old 11-25-2022, 04:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,800 Times in 736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgcetm View Post
Fewer heart attacks due to shoveling heavy snow.
But more heart attacks here due to aging. That is the one medical condition that will kill everyone in The Villages, aging. It is rampant in an old age community no matter how active one remains and we’ve seen many pass away since our move to The Villages.

You’ll be fine here, just remember not to buy any green bananas.
Closed Thread

Tags
conditions, wondering-, worsened;, people, noticed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.