Gross Over Charge

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Location: April to November in Topsham, ME and November to April in The Villages
Thumbs down Gross Over Charge

I should have posted this a long time ago but when it happened I was just a monthly renter and didn't know about TOTV.

In January of 2009 my brother was visiting. He's arrived with what he thought was just a cold but it got much worse very quickly. We checked at one of the regional rec centers and they recommended Exceptional Urgent Care on Rt. 101. The doctor saw him, checked him out, gave him a shot and a prescription to fill at CVS. There were no tests done, no blood taken or any other thing that would require an extra charge. When he was done he submitted all his medical insurance ID's and paid a $30 co-pay. A month or so later he received a bill for over $300. There was NO mention of this charge when he was paying the co-pay. After checking with his insurance coverage and the charge was declined, Exceptional Urgent Care still insisted on payment. Eventually they negotiated a reduced amount and my brother paid it.

As far as I'm concerned, Exceptional Urgent Care ripped-off my brother and I will never go there or recommend it to anyone.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Where exactly is this place so I can avoid it? I am not familiar with route 101. Did you mean 301? Even still, where?
Old 04-19-2011, 11:10 AM

County Road 101 is the road in front of Buffalo Ridge Plaza.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Gold member

Same thing happened when we went there. Took vitals, doc saw me for 2 minutes if that. Billed my medicare and Blue Cross. The charges were for new patient exam and about $300. I will never go there again. They are in same building as Lange Eye.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 04-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Hello Maine!
Not only did that doctor (Dr. Im?) do a slip shot exam and overcharged but he prescribed a medicine for my husband that was contraindicated with one of his existing medicines. I found that out when I googled it. (he prescribed steroids for what we thought was wax build up in his ear.....).
So we never picked up the script.

When I went the year before, I was given a shot and when I asked what it was for they said "just for nausea, make you feel better." Turns out my doctor at home said "YIKES, pretty powerful shot he gave you"
No doctor has EVER given me a shot in my adult life where we didn't discuss it first and decide together!

Anyway, they are BAD over there. Terrible!
Portland Me and TV
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Paramount Urgent Care

We have used Paramount on 466 in the Sante Fe plaza and arre very confident in the care and medicine given us.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Dr. Im at Exceptional Urgent Care has had many complaints centering on his unbelieveable abusive behavior as well as malpractice. How he is still practicing is a mystery. I had a horrible interaction with him and after my husband wrote a letter pointing out his abusive behavior he called us at home to apologize and asked us not to complain to the AMA. He is still raking in the money. Doctors in the area are familiar with his histrionics
Old 04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Gross Over Charge

I used the Urgent Care at Lake Sumter Landing. Nice people but it took them too long and too many test to determinewhat I initially told them was goin on with me. won't go to an urgent care for anything more than the flu in the future
Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have had good luck and decent are at the Urgent Care at Lake Sumter Landing....Definitely recommend these guys!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Sage

As far as costs go I just had a recent physical where we discussed some meds, did a few blood tests and, of course, a complete exam.

The cost was $20 for me and $551 from Blue Cross. I was surprised that it was that high but that must be going rate since BC paid in full.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
14thMed
Default Urgent Care

Can't comment on the care received,sounds like the place has issues. Cost does'nt sound unreasonable for "urgent Care". My question to the OP is -- in reading the post .They paid the co-pay and submitted the rest to the insurance co.Then AFTER insurance denied the claim then it was a 'rip-off'.Would it not been a rip-off if insurance had paid for the bill?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Default Agree with y'all on Exceptional urgent care on 101.

this urgent care used to be in the Dana building, they must have moved around the corner, hoping old patients don't find them. I was post opp 10 days and thought I had an infection and decided that an urgent care would be better that the awful (in 2009) Villages Hospital Emergency. They checked our insurance, we have BCBS and tricare, and said there would be no charge. Saw a PA for 2 minutes, they ran a test for urinary track infection and we were ushered out. Never did get a call from them for the results, had to call them 3 times to get it, good thing it was negative.. then a month later we got the $300 bill. I complained to everyone I could think of, including my insurance, Better Business Bureau, local chambers and the AMA. got a letter a month later that they would avoid the charge! I feel for those who go there, sick, and then just pay their exorbitant prices. My hubby also used the Urgent Care in LSL, and likes it.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:43 PM

I was told by Preferred Care Partners to be sure that we go to the identified Urgent Care Centers. There are some Urgent Care Centers in the Villages that bill insurance as a private practice rather than an urgent care center. Often insurance will not pay if it was billed as a private practice. Be sure to check with your insurance company as to which Urgent Care Centers they cover. If you have an Advantage Plan, you need to check.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltex63 View Post
I was told by Preferred Care Partners to be sure that we go to the identified Urgent Care Centers. There are some Urgent Care Centers in the Villages that bill insurance as a private practice rather than an urgent care center. Often insurance will not pay if it was billed as a private practice. Be sure to check with your insurance company as to which Urgent Care Centers they cover. If you have an Advantage Plan, you need to check.
Many times it is the public that calls a medical center an urgent care center. As you mentioned you need to make sure that they are not a physicians private practice center. Usually though most of the private practice facilities will not treat you unless you are a patient of one of the physicians already. As I mentioned the 'medical center' I work at has over 50 primary care physicians plus urgent care, xray, lab etc. We send all patients who are not 'members' to the local hospital for care (obviously we will care for any emergency until the EMT's arrive for transport).

It is best to check with your insurance co. if you have any doubt about coverage.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
We have used Paramount on 466 in the Sante Fe plaza and arre very confident in the care and medicine given us.
I agree. Have been there several times - always with excellent prompt treatment.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.