Would a sonogram right now be a useful baseline for later?

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2021, 08:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts
Default Would a sonogram right now be a useful baseline for later?

After my father, 95, had a heart attack, it was discovered he had a totally blocked artery and had a stent put in. This was a surprise, despite the fact that he’s been having quarterly checkups, etc. Up until the heart attack, he hadn’t had any issues with cholesterol.

My question is, would a sonogram be useful to a)determine what, if any plaque and/or potential weak-walled blood vessels (aneurysms) I have at this point in my life, and b) tell the doctor how often I should have one re-done if plaque seems to be building up?

I’m going to be asking my own doctor this when I next go to see him (I’ll also probably be checking with Dr. Google) but looking for your experience with sonograms, body scans, etc etc. are they useful in identifying upcoming issues?
Old 05-14-2021, 05:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

WOW! did you know that less than 1% of the male population lives to the age of 90?

cholesterol is a liver function which is a body response for digestion and 80% of cholesterol is made by the liver. . . I am starting care by a long time cardiologist as my dad had a heart attack at 60, and i have mildly elevated cholesterol and friends in their 60's are starting to have blocked arteries. . .

so you dad is doing fantastic by male standards. . .
Old 05-14-2021, 07:43 AM

I agree with Coach--Congratulations! you are biologically related to someone who has enjoyed excellent health and was so healthy at age 95 that someone cathed him and put in a stent. I suspect that your surprise at his blocked artery means your family has other members who lived long lives. Woo Hoo! good for you.
Think of it like this--if there is a test without side effects that your insurance covered and it reliably showed that you had asymptomatic coronary disease, the treatment would be lifestyle modifications, and don't we all know what we should be doing to protect our heart-diet, exercise, limiting stress, etc etc? and isn't that why we live in The Villages?
And if that magic test showed you had clean arteries, would you suddenly buy a carton of Marlboros and order up a big steak? Of course not. And don't forget that the lifestyle that leads to a healthy heart also protects our brains from dementia. So enjoy, discuss with your primary care doctor, and play some pickle ball.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,377 Times in 2,519 Posts

I have a couple of stents, one in leg and one in my stomach for PVD. (Peripheral Vascular Disease).
I have six monthly sonogram scans.
In UK. we call it an Ultra Sound Scan.
They are non invasive tests, and if your medico is in agreement, why not? .
Belts and braces!
Closed Thread

Tags
issues, plaque, doctor, sonogram, heart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.