Your DR appointments?

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran member
Default Your DR appointments?

I had a Dr appt for thursday but received call from office that DR wants to do a video call. I'm not interested as dont even know how to do that. So she said we can do telephone call then. Although I wasn't happy I said ok but wondering how everyone is feeling about this. Wonder if DR charges insurance co same price for phone as office visit? Am I the only one not happy over this?
Old 12-14-2020, 09:05 PM

I have had 2 video calls with my Dr. The office should give you the web site or how to for the video. It actually was pretty good both times. I had my list of questions, he had my labs. Over all it seemed I had more time and had his attention for the entire time, there seemed to be almost no small talk all business. Fortunately I did not need any physical exam, just questions.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
I had a Dr appt for thursday but received call from office that DR wants to do a video call. I'm not interested as dont even know how to do that. So she said we can do telephone call then. Although I wasn't happy I said ok but wondering how everyone is feeling about this. Wonder if DR charges insurance co same price for phone as office visit? Am I the only one not happy over this?
Yes, they do charge the same as an office visit. And, I agree with you. I don't like it. I remember when my doctor would call me the same day or next day with test results and didn't charge anything. Now, you have to make an appointment and wait longer to get the results, and the doctor charges you as if you came into the office for an in person visit.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, they do charge the same as an office visit. And, I agree with you. I don't like it. I remember when my doctor would call me the same day or next day with test results and didn't charge anything. Now, you have to make an appointment and wait longer to get the results, and the doctor charges you as if you came into the office for an in person visit.
I live in the real world where viruses live and kill. I/we all three love our doctor and this Zoom call is a way to protect us and him and the receptionist, the nurse, the PA etc..

He has our bloodwork and if we have questions we ask him. I have an oximeter, and a blood pressure cuff and I am on a monitor for my pacemaker. All that info I can provide him.

I am sure in a very short time now we will be able to make appointments and see our medical people in person. The VACCINE is here and being administered. It won't be long now.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,747 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I live in the real world where viruses live and kill. I/we all three love our doctor and this Zoom call is a way to protect us and him and the receptionist, the nurse, the PA etc..

He has our bloodwork and if we have questions we ask him. I have an oximeter, and a blood pressure cuff and I am on a monitor for my pacemaker. All that info I can provide him.

I am sure in a very short time now we will be able to make appointments and see our medical people in person. The VACCINE is here and being administered. It won't be long now.
I hope you are correct about being able to make appointments after the virus goes away. But, now, I am being charged for phone calls that used to be free. They are using the virus as an excuse to schedule a phone call and get $100 for a 5 minute call. I complained to my insurance company, but they said it is allowed because of the virus.
Old 12-14-2020, 10:52 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

I've had many one on one visits with my doc during this "epidemic" ....neither of us has suffered
Old 12-14-2020, 11:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

I have the option of personal visit or virtual. I prefer virtual, saves both of us time and he has the lab results as do I since they are posted through the portal. I take my BP, O2 and temp at home so I have that data. Not sure what a personal visit gets me.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-15-2020, 05:44 AM

I think Drs should always get paid for their time, why should they work for free?
Old 12-15-2020, 05:46 AM

I prefer the tele-visits. Last week, my doctor’s office did not let me know I had the option to do a tele-visit to get further information regarding my lab work. I had to drive to her office - 25 minutes. I waited for an hour - no doctor. Asked how much longer and was told she’d had to go to the hospital for a discharge (seriously?!). I said I had other things I had to do, and left. She ended up calling me in the evening, and we chatted about my results. I got the information I needed, I didn’t have to drive anywhere, and I didn’t have to wait for a doctor who wasn’t even at her office. Oh! I should mention - and I didn’t have to worry about any virus. Give me a tele-visit any time, even after the pandemic is over, whenever appropriate.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,915 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnesail View Post
I think Drs should always get paid for their time, why should they work for free?
Personally, I never charged for phone calls. If I wanted to, I would have become a lawyer
Old 12-15-2020, 06:00 AM

I have had several of these calls. The first the PA could not get the sound to work. It took 6 calls back and forth and we finally used the phone. I had to use my iPad to show them an allergic rash I had and then had to have them call me back to talk about it. The next call happened the same way and the PA finally used his own phone to FaceTime me and then passed the phone onto the dr. This worked. The third call never happened as the dr cancelled and hour after my appt time and never bothered to call me to tell me this . Instead I sat around waiting for them and I finally called and said where is my call. Then they told me the dr is backed up and then 1/2 hour later it was cancelled saying the dr had an emergency with their child. Then they insisted on calling me the next day when I was unavailable . When I said I couldn’t , they refused to renew my meds. I’m not crazy about this method but I don’t want to go into the office and come in contact with COVID patients either . I am looking for a new dr now as I need my meds. Yes, they charged full price for each appt!
Old 12-15-2020, 06:00 AM

What other area of your life can you get important information from a professional over the phone and expect to not get charged? Call your lawyer for specific advice and see if that is free or a mechanic at the local garage to help you out with repairs you are doing on your own car. I don’t understand why you think a doctor should not get paid for their professional advice, over the phone or in person doesn’t matter. .
Old 12-15-2020, 06:10 AM
Veteran member

I did the phone call...not happy with it. reading a bunch of numbers off a sheet, well...I can do that myself. I want the Dr. to see me, examine me, check my blood pressure, temp, listen to my heart and lungs. BTW, he charged the same amount to medicare.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:18 AM

Of course they charge the same for the visit. If you feel strongly about seeing them in person, insist on an in-person visit and keep your mask on.
Old 12-15-2020, 06:21 AM

You have the option to go into the office. If you are not comfortable with a teleconference opt for the in person.
Closed Thread

Tags
call, office, happy, phone, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.