Your DR appointments?

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2020, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
I had a Dr appt for thursday but received call from office that DR wants to do a video call. I'm not interested as dont even know how to do that. So she said we can do telephone call then. Although I wasn't happy I said ok but wondering how everyone is feeling about this. Wonder if DR charges insurance co same price for phone as office visit? Am I the only one not happy over this?
I am not a doctor but covid 19 has been difficult for all. An office visit. You arrive, you likely need to touch door handles to get into the doctors office or push an elevator button etc. Then you sit in a chair to wait, fill out forms etc.

I don't like a phone visit either. Nothing is ever perfect. Irony-there was a story on the radio that dentists and staff are in the third string for getting a covid vaccine. As suggested by the person who phoned in they cannot possibly inspect your teeth, clean your teeth etc remotely.

I hope this will be over soon. Till then we all will be inconvenienced.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:45 AM

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsport View Post
You are protecting your doctor and yourself. If you have significant issues they will see you, if not, this is best for all. Buy a BP cuff, a pulse ox and a thermometer to keep check on your health. They are all cheap and automatic. They may save your life. Believe in science, it will save your life.
All 3 can be brought from Amazon for less than $100 and are automatic. Wide variety depending on how many bells and whistles desired. I brought a pulse ox as soon as it was suggested. If you have history of high blood pressure it may be a benefit of your insurance. Frankly, who doesn't have a thermometer?
I like the option of Tele visit for routine visits. If it is something urgent or new then I want to be seen in person but skipping waiting room is best.

Last edited by claricecolin; 12-15-2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-15-2020, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, they do charge the same as an office visit. And, I agree with you. I don't like it. I remember when my doctor would call me the same day or next day with test results and didn't charge anything. Now, you have to make an appointment and wait longer to get the results, and the doctor charges you as if you came into the office for an in person visit.
I am far from a computer nerd. Fortunately, I get away with sticking it on my wife-published secrets?

Far as tests, if you've never seen them, you can see your tests on line. It is easy to read and to understand. Your result was xxxx, normal range is xxxx. If, you result is higher or lower than the normal range, something is wrong. Your doctor then decides what to do about it. More tests? Drugs? Or possibly do nothing. Watch it over time etc.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:52 AM

Once you try a video call you may be surprised at how great it is for basic visits. If you have a smart phone or pc it is not difficult. They should send you a link that you click on to connect.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:56 AM

Time for a new doctor
Old 12-15-2020, 11:08 AM
Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblue View Post
I have had 2 video calls with my Dr. The office should give you the web site or how to for the video. It actually was pretty good both times. I had my list of questions, he had my labs. Over all it seemed I had more time and had his attention for the entire time, there seemed to be almost no small talk all business. Fortunately I did not need any physical exam, just questions.
Wouldn't do it. Cancelled. They called back later and allowed an in office visit.

Video chatting is only for those who don't understand their labs or need anything else checked out.

Yes they bill the same so expect a bill.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
I did the phone call...not happy with it. reading a bunch of numbers off a sheet, well...I can do that myself. I want the Dr. to see me, examine me, check my blood pressure, temp, listen to my heart and lungs. BTW, he charged the same amount to medicare.
Bowlingal.........Yes I agree with this comment 100%...... It is real tough to get any Dr to look at you these days and not their laptop when you are in the same room, at least you can get their attention eventually face to face. Reading results over the phone and charging for them is robbery.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:33 AM
Default Video call with dr

It's better than taking a chance of being exposed. Help keep the dr and staff healthy too.

Stewiegal
Old 12-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

I'm looking forward to getting the Covid vaccine and the government mandated implant that will come with it. That way my doctor won't even need to call me, can just get my current health info straight from a computer and avoid the hassle of even talking on the phone.

(Now where's that conspiracy/sarcastic font - when you need it?)
Old 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM

Either way Dr. won't spend more than 5 minutes with me.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley View Post
I've had many one on one visits with my doc during this "epidemic" ....neither of us has suffered
True that CV "lightning" may not have struck either you or your Doctor for that particular visit. But, CV like "lightning" does strike SOME people. You and your Doctor did have RISKS - he more than you because you see 1 Doctor - he sees multiple patients day-after-day. He has a problem of BIG risks. He is dealing with an elderly population, many with pre-conditions that pre-dispose them to having weak immune systems.

I wonder how that appointment went? You were inside in non-moving air, which is 15 times worse for CV than outside. That doesn't change just because someone has a "Doctor" title in front of their name. He or she is a human and you are a human - so you 2 needed to be separated by a MINIMUM of 6 ft. To minimize the risk you BOTH needed to have on an N-95 mask AND a clear visor - gloves and a PPE jacket would have also reduced risk. The US is deficient in PPEs compared to other countries. So, I DOUBT that you both were properly equipped for that encounter. And temperatures needed to be taken 1st. - and office surfaces wiped down with disinfectant. I can see why both Doctors and Patients (especially among predominantly older patients) would PREFER telemedicine.

For those who believe that I am overstating the precautions and the risks, many Doctors and experts on TV have stated that, "it is best to treat any person that you encounter as IF they had the CV".
Old 12-15-2020, 12:19 PM

I did it with my doctor and was fine w/ it. I was glad not to go out and get same amount of time with the doc.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:26 PM

I do NOT like it
Old 12-15-2020, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
I have had several of these calls. The first the PA could not get the sound to work. It took 6 calls back and forth and we finally used the phone. I had to use my iPad to show them an allergic rash I had and then had to have them call me back to talk about it. The next call happened the same way and the PA finally used his own phone to FaceTime me and then passed the phone onto the dr. This worked. The third call never happened as the dr cancelled and hour after my appt time and never bothered to call me to tell me this . Instead I sat around waiting for them and I finally called and said where is my call. Then they told me the dr is backed up and then 1/2 hour later it was cancelled saying the dr had an emergency with their child. Then they insisted on calling me the next day when I was unavailable . When I said I couldn’t , they refused to renew my meds. I’m not crazy about this method but I don’t want to go into the office and come in contact with COVID patients either . I am looking for a new dr now as I need my meds. Yes, they charged full price for each appt!
A good story. Sorry that you got such a "run around". Hope that your new Doctor works out better. I believe that various rashes are on the increase because of increased mental stress, anxiety, and confusion during this period of CV. Yours might not be related? There is some question as to IF society can completely return to the "OLD" normal even after vaccines are universally available? That WILL be interesting to observe!
Old 12-15-2020, 12:36 PM

I made an appt in person at The Villages Health Center in Brownwood. They sent me an email and 12 page questionnarie. The nurse met me at the door and took the paperwork. My appointment was last Thursday. They check your temp etc. Doctor Jerry Jones was patient and took time to review my health. I was very happy with the care at this office.
Closed Thread

Tags
call, office, happy, phone, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.