Bering Hailed As the Greatest Catch in NFL History!

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Sage
Default Bering Hailed As the Greatest Catch in NFL History!

I am a hugh sports fan and having been watching NFL football since it first starting being aired. I remember listening to the Giants/Colts game in 1958. This is the greatest physical catch of a football ever. IMHO OBJ caught the ball with three fingers and the palm of his hand. He was fouled in the play and still stayed inbounds. WOW!!!!!

Here is the link that will replay Odell Beckham Jr catch.

SEE IT! Giants' Beckham makes RIDICULOUS TD catch - NY Daily News

It's being hailed as the greatest catch in the history of the NFL.

What do you think?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Gold member

Great catch, but an insignificant one since his team lost anyway. I think the greatest catch has to be one that was both athletically spectacular and sealed the deal on a big time game. I would nominate Santonio Holmes' game winner in Super Bowl 43.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Sage

I do not wish for this to sound negative as it was an amazing catch. To have the concentration to pull that ball in at all is really something.

That said, IMO a lot of the great one handed grabs we see today has to do with the gloves they wear. Not to take away the catch, but hard to compare to other eras... like many things in sports

The gloves are rivaling the grip of Mr Biletnikoff without the mess
Old 11-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Sage
Default Bering Hailed As the Greatest Catch in NFL History!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
Great catch, but an insignificant one since his team lost anyway. I think the greatest catch has to be one that was both athletically spectacular and sealed the deal on a big time game. I would nominate Santonio Holmes' game winner in Super Bowl 43.

Maybe theres should be two categories, because I have a tough time dismissing this catch just because it was "insignificant" in the context of the game. I like to consider such plays on pure athleticism...I rate Beckham's catch at or very near the top.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Gold member

I'll say one thing about the catch, it was fun to watch!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Sage

It certainly is a spectacular catch. But best ever? Can't go that far.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Gold member

Just watching the evening news. The kid was practing catching with one hand during warm ups . Than a little while later he caught that great catch.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:34 PM
Platinum member

Dave Tyree's catch in SB XLII to beat the Cheatriots is the greatest catch of all time, IMO. Equally spectacular was Eli's ability to avoid what looked like a sure sack on that same play.

But the Beckham catch is pretty darn close.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:24 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Dave Tyree's catch in SB XLII to beat the Cheatriots is the greatest catch of all time, IMO. Equally spectacular was Eli's ability to avoid what looked like a sure sack on that same play.

But the Beckham catch is pretty darn close.
I agree 100%
Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Sorry, I don't think that the circumstances of the game have anything to do with the greatness of a catch. This was certainly the best catch I've ever seen. I can't say it was the best ever because I haven't seen every catch in NFL history.

Prior to this Randy Moss made a one handed grab without breaking stride for a touchdown. That was the best catch I'd ever seen but this one blows that away.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I do not wish for this to sound negative as it was an amazing catch. To have the concentration to pull that ball in at all is really something.

That said, IMO a lot of the great one handed grabs we see today has to do with the gloves they wear. Not to take away the catch, but hard to compare to other eras... like many things in sports

The gloves are rivaling the grip of Mr Biletnikoff without the mess
Sorry, but Fred Biletnikoff and all of the great receivers of that era used stickum which has since been banned. I don't mean this to take anything away from those guys but to say that wearing gloves is an advantage over them is just wrong.

I had a friend that had a cleaning business back in the 70s. He had the contract for cleaning the Patriots uniforms and would also take care of equipment from other teams on occasion. He said it was just amazing to see the amount of crap these guys had on their hands, arms, shoulders, helmets and chest areas. They would cover themselves with it.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:52 AM
Sage
Default I am not trying to take anything away from the catch. It was spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Sorry, but Fred Biletnikoff and all of the great receivers of that era used stickum which has since been banned. I don't mean this to take anything away from those guys but to say that wearing gloves is an advantage over them is just wrong.

<stuff snipped from OP by Alan>
It was not my intent to say these guys using gloves have an advantage over the 'stick-em years'. IMO this glove technology is allowing these guys to make one handed catches that are likely not possible without the gloves. The advantage is over eras that did not have this technology.

Saying that does not take away from what an amazing catch it was, or the athlete someone has to be to make it. Like many things in sports, I do not think you can compare catches from an era where they did not have this technology on their hands.

Testing Out the Stickiest Football Glove | Sneaker Report
From article: Sticky as a: Molasses-spread Cinnabon covered in Elmer’s Glue

Who needs Stickum when you've got 'sticky' gloves? - NFL - ESPN

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.