Changes I'd Like to see the NFL Make

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Get rid of the coin toss. The away team gets the ball first just like in baseball.
When a team is penalized and the penalty yardage is more than the distance they have behind them, move the ball halfway to the goal line but add the additional yardage at the other end. For example, a team is on their own 10 yard line and they commit a fifteen yard penalty move the ball to the five but move the sticks ten yards so they have to make it to the thirty for a first down. That way they are actually getting a fifteen yard penalty.
I know that this might be controversial, but because they are so concerned with player safety, especially on kickoffs, they've moved the touchback like to the 25 instead of the twenty. Since most kickoffs go into or over the end zone. I'd just eliminate kickoffs and place the ball on the twenty.
When there is a defensive penalty on a touchdown, it is applied to the ensuing kickoff which is meaningless because all it does is allow the kicking team to kick the ball out of the end zone. I'd place the ball on the 10 yard line and make it first and ten. If it was a fifteen yard penalty, it would be first and fifteen from the ten.
Any other ideas or comments?
The coin toss decides who kicks. The loser decides which part of the field to defend. The wind is a big factor especially in the 4th Q. Which 20 yard line would you use?
Old 11-04-2022, 07:19 AM
Veteran member

I want the coach to be able to throw his red flag for a facemask. This happens way too often and is missed many times. Directly related to player safety. It's a black and white call - very obvious. Your player comes out and says " I had a hand in my facemask, and my head was pulled around violently" Easy call to throw the flag.

Right now, it's not reviewable, yet it's a huge safety issue.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

I also hate half the distance to the goal when it's offense. If they false start or delay game, it only costs them inches. When inside the 10 yard line, the defense should be able to take away a down instead of taking the inches.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Not going to happen but shorten the game with less and shorter commercials
Agree 100% with the less and shorter commercials.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:55 AM
Default DVR the game!

Just DVR the game and watch it later. No commercials or half time BS. Just don't watch sports news until after you watch the game.

]
Old 11-04-2022, 08:13 AM

Get rid of all penalties for offense jumping early, invalid formation, failure to report, etc. Allow any movement as along as it doesn't cross the line of scrimmage.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

Get rid of those captions on the back of their helmets, team names excluded.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
When a team is penalized and the penalty yardage is more than the distance they have behind them, move the ball halfway to the goal line but add the additional yardage at the other end. For example, a team is on their own 10 yard line and they commit a fifteen yard penalty move the ball to the five but move the sticks ten yards so they have to make it to the thirty for a first down. That way they are actually getting a fifteen yard penalty.
How about those penalties when offense is on the 2 yard line they only get 1 penalty yard on defensive penalty but get penalized a full distance on offensive penalties? Perhaps if you only get half the distance if the defense commits a penalty you only get "twice the distance from the goal" on an offensive penalty?

And defensive penalties in the last 2 minutes (especially last 30 seconds) can be more impacted by the time the play took than the yards. Give the offense the option of having the time put back on the clock rather than the yards.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:05 AM

I like the idea of 1 challenge for anything. I hate when you can’t challenge a non reviewable play when it is critical to the outcome. In OT, the team that loses the toss should get a chance to score a TD if the coin toss winner scores a TD on the first drive.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog7 View Post
I like the idea of 1 challenge for anything. I hate when you can’t challenge a non reviewable play when it is critical to the outcome. In OT, the team that loses the toss should get a chance to score a TD if the coin toss winner scores a TD on the first drive.
Absolutely.
Both teams should receive in overtime, otherwise they might as well decide the game on a toss of the coin.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:53 AM

With the big bucks they are giving the pro teams (and the college conferences), you will probably see more commercials A couple weeks ago, I stated watching a college game that started at 12:30 PM. I had some things to do, so I turned it off at about 1:00. I came back to the game at 3:00 expecting it to be well into the 4th quarter. Nope - they were just kicking off to start the third quarter. Too many commercials, too many "reviews" by the officials. Good games have become booooring!!
Old 11-04-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrider View Post
With the big bucks they are giving the pro teams (and the college conferences), you will probably see more commercials A couple weeks ago, I stated watching a college game that started at 12:30 PM. I had some things to do, so I turned it off at about 1:00. I came back to the game at 3:00 expecting it to be well into the 4th quarter. Nope - they were just kicking off to start the third quarter. Too many commercials, too many "reviews" by the officials. Good games have become booooring!!
Agree! And they let the clock continue running for most of the game after incompletions (they didn't used to do that) so they can still get a game done in less than 4 hours with so many more commercials.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Get rid of the coin toss. The away team gets the ball first just like in baseball.
I know that this might be controversial, but because they are so concerned with player safety, especially on kickoffs, they've moved the touchback like to the 25 instead of the twenty. Since most kickoffs go into or over the end zone. I'd just eliminate kickoffs and place the ball on the twenty.
When there is a defensive penalty on a touchdown, it is applied to the ensuing kickoff which is meaningless because all it does is allow the kicking team to kick the ball out of the end zone. I'd place the ball on the 10 yard line and make it first and ten. If it was a fifteen yard penalty, it would be first and fifteen from the ten.
Any other ideas or comments?
I would like the NFL to get rid of conflicted felons, wife beaters and anyone who didn't salute our flag during the playing of the national anthem. Then I might watch again.

Last edited by RiderOnTheStorm; 11-04-2022 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Correct grammar
Old 11-04-2022, 10:25 AM
Platinum member

Good grief …. Leave the game alone. It’s bad enough baseball is slowly, but surely, incorporating new rules. Presumably to speed the game up. If the game is taking too long for you, change the channel.

These proposed changes would have Vince Lombardi rolling in his grave.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

No blitzing and quarterback can’t cross line of scrimmage. Tired of joker quarterbacks running around like the stooges. College clown show. Their function is to throw
Closed Thread

Tags
penalty, yard, ball, team, fifteen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.