Changes I'd Like to see the NFL Make

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Good grief …. Leave the game alone. It’s bad enough baseball is slowly, but surely, incorporating new rules. Presumably to speed the game up. If the game is taking too long for you, change the channel.

These proposed changes would have Vince Lombardi rolling in his grave.
The past changes would. It used to be two feet down for a completed pass. Now you have to have both feet down and take several steps. Changes to the kickoff, onside kick, ball on the 25, extra point kicks of 40 yards, 2 point conversions. Lots of changes since Lombardi.
Old 11-04-2022, 12:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo50 View Post
change the scoring values for field goals, which would add strategy to the game:

From 1 to 25 yards = 1 point
from 26 to 40 yards = 2 points
from 41 to 55 yards = 3 points
field goals over 56 yards = 4 points
agree
Old 11-04-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6236 View Post
No Super Bowl trophy for Tom Baby this season.
I’ve heard that several times over the years!
Old 11-04-2022, 03:12 PM

5 yard penalty but no automatic first down
Old 11-04-2022, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Get rid of the coin toss. The away team gets the ball first just like in baseball.
When a team is penalized and the penalty yardage is more than the distance they have behind them, move the ball halfway to the goal line but add the additional yardage at the other end. For example, a team is on their own 10 yard line and they commit a fifteen yard penalty move the ball to the five but move the sticks ten yards so they have to make it to the thirty for a first down. That way they are actually getting a fifteen yard penalty.
I know that this might be controversial, but because they are so concerned with player safety, especially on kickoffs, they've moved the touchback like to the 25 instead of the twenty. Since most kickoffs go into or over the end zone. I'd just eliminate kickoffs and place the ball on the twenty.
When there is a defensive penalty on a touchdown, it is applied to the ensuing kickoff which is meaningless because all it does is allow the kicking team to kick the ball out of the end zone. I'd place the ball on the 10 yard line and make it first and ten. If it was a fifteen yard penalty, it would be first and fifteen from the ten.
Any other ideas or comments?
QB spiking the ball to stop the clock should be the same as intentional grounding.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:38 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I thought about the onside kick. I'm not sure how I feel about it. It doesn't happen very often and I'd say that 95% of the time everyone knows it's coming.

I have mixed feelings about that one.

Yes, roughing the passer does seems to be called too much. A lot of the times I think it's just a bad call.
The three most egregiously enforced penalties: pass interference, offensive and defensive, absolutely ridiculously inconsistent; offensive holding - call it all the time or eliminate the rule, it is like they say in basketball “you can’t call every foul or violation”, bullspit, call every one and soon see that the violations discontinue. Roughing the passer has gone from ridiculous to unbelievable.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,085 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky6236 View Post
No Super Bowl trophy for Tom Baby this season.
History says it’s not a good idea to bet against him.
Old 11-04-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Page View Post
Better yet, start the season presenting the Super Bowl trophy to whatever team has Brady and cancel all the games.
Doesn't look like he is getting it this year.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger 2006 View Post
Agree with at least 1 coaches challenge for anything. Too many missed or bad calls that can impact the game outcome. Since the ref’s on the field are going to get critical calls wrong, or flat out miss a call sometimes, and the zillion cameras will almost immediately expose the error, possibly an off field ref that has the ability to make a missed call, or reverse a bad call would help.
It didn't help the Saints with the most obvious pass interference violation I've ever seen not being called in the NFC Championship game a few years ago. It kept them out of the Super Bowl.

I like the idea of booth reviews which they may not have had at that time.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsocrates View Post
The coin toss decides who kicks. The loser decides which part of the field to defend. The wind is a big factor especially in the 4th Q. Which 20 yard line would you use?
You could go by the logo on the field or allow the home team to decide.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
I also hate half the distance to the goal when it's offense. If they false start or delay game, it only costs them inches. When inside the 10 yard line, the defense should be able to take away a down instead of taking the inches.
Like I said, take away the inches and add the rest on the other end. The way it is now gives the offense liberty to take all kinds of penalties. First and ten from the four is not much different than first and twelve from the two. But it's a lot different than first and twenty from the two. The offense can hold, block from behind, grab face masks and do anything they want knowing that even if they get caught it's only a few yards.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
How about those penalties when offense is on the 2 yard line they only get 1 penalty yard on defensive penalty but get penalized a full distance on offensive penalties? Perhaps if you only get half the distance if the defense commits a penalty you only get "twice the distance from the goal" on an offensive penalty?

And defensive penalties in the last 2 minutes (especially last 30 seconds) can be more impacted by the time the play took than the yards. Give the offense the option of having the time put back on the clock rather than the yards.
If I'm not mistaken, most of those penalties also include automatic first down. If it's on a first and goal, they could add another down.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Change the scoring values for field goals, which would add strategy to the game:

From 1 to 25 yards = 1 point
From 26 to 40 yards = 2 points
From 41 to 55 yards = 3 points
Field goals over 56 yards = 4 points
I'd do just the opposite. Inside the from yard line 3 points. 10-20 yard line 2 points, over 20 past the twenty yard line 1 point. That would encourage teams to go for the first down more often and give them credit for all of the yards gained. Maybe give four points for inside the five yard line.

It's a team game. I think that the team should be rewarded for being about to advance the ball further down the field. Now, a team that gets the ball all the way to the one yard line gets the same reward as a team that only gets it to the 25. And if the team has an especially good long ball kicker, the rest of the offense doesn't have to play that well. Get the ball to the 40 and let the kicker put points on the board.

Old 11-05-2022, 06:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Horse collar tackles an immediate disqualification.

Long field goals worth LESS. 60 yard field goals are ridiculous. Teams should be rewarded for advancing the ball
Old 11-06-2022, 08:37 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
The past changes would. It used to be two feet down for a completed pass. Now you have to have both feet down and take several steps. Changes to the kickoff, onside kick, ball on the 25, extra point kicks of 40 yards, 2 point conversions. Lots of changes since Lombardi.
You only need 2 feet down, no need to take several steps.

Tags
penalty, yard, ball, team, fifteen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.