Play off Games

Old 01-14-2024, 09:11 AM

I've heard natural grass is much easier on the players. Stadium roofs are extremely expensive - especially those that need to support three feet of snow. Stadiums are used for more than football games, which affects the decision to enclose as well.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
So they cancelled the Steels and Buffalo playoff game until Monday because of
the weather, which makes since.

They have a open stadium which put players and fans in
dangerous conditions, even on Monday's forecast.

So I'm asking....if some teams are fortunate enough to have closed stadiums and the
other half have open stadiums, shouldn't they ALL have enclosed stadiums or
all have open stadiums?

BTW, I'm from Wisconsin, and if that game was scheduled up there with the same
weather conditions, they would play that game on Sunday regardless.
Really? Endangering the lives of all the fans traveling to the game and "living" through the experience. "Smart"! They should have cancelled the Miami-Kansas City game as well.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:23 AM

the players would still go without sleeves.....
Old 01-14-2024, 09:32 AM
Default Playoff Games

Agree with Mr Chip 72. We are from western NY. The guy from Wisconsin doesn’t understand that the Governer has issued a travel ban for Western NY. There will be NO ONE out on the roads except snow plows and emergency vehicles. Maybe they don’t issue travel bans in Wisconsin as the weather doesn’t get like it does in Western NY.

Regarding the uncovered stadium, I never did understand why they have not covered it. Maybe some die-hard Bills fans will know the answer.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramfry52 View Post
Has Pittsburg ever played in drifting, blowing snow at home? With 1-2 feet of snow on the ground, you'd be lucky to even get to the stadium with your lousy road system. It would be total gridlock. People wouldn't know how to handle it. GO BILLS
PittsburgH has. And in rain and mud.
Craziest Weather-Related Steeler Games in Pittsburgh History | Pittsburgh Beautiful
Old 01-14-2024, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChip72 View Post
Most of Western New York is under a full travel ban starting at 9pm Saturday night. Even if the stadium was domed, people aren't allowed to go on public roads until they are deemed safe which won't be until at least Sunday afternoon. It was going to be impossible to host the game at 1pm Sunday as originally scheduled.

Highly doubtful that they would still have the game in Wisconsin if none of the public roads were drivable. Sounds like total nonsense to me. Has Green Bay had 3 feet of snow the day before a game and then still hosted the game? You sound like you're unfamiliar with lake effect snow especially from Lake Erie and how it can cripple a metro area. This has happened in Buffalo multiple times.
People in Wisconsin are very familiar with lake
effect snow, and I agree that the game would have been played in Green Bay. Snow and cold seems to excite the Packer fans who would have found their way there. They are a unique bunch.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:55 AM
Default Dome Stadiums

The NFL had gotten greedy by extending the season so that teams are playing football outside on fields with no domes in weather that football was not meant to be played. Winter weather conditions are not good for the players or the fans. Before they extended the season they should have required all stadiums to have a dome. Domes allow for the play of the game in much favorable conditions which is fair to all. Playing a football game that was designed to be played during the fall months, in a blizzard, - degree temps or highly heated temps is insanity for all!
Old 01-14-2024, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
The NFL had gotten greedy by extending the season so that teams are playing football outside on fields with no domes in weather that football was not meant to be played. Winter weather conditions are not good for the players or the fans. Before they extended the season they should have required all stadiums to have a dome. Domes allow for the play of the game in much favorable conditions which is fair to all. Playing a football game that was designed to be played during the fall months, in a blizzard, - degree temps or highly heated temps is insanity for all!
Winter games in the snow are the best!

When did they extend the season? The Super Bowl has been played in late January or February since 1979.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-14-2024, 11:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
effect snow, and I agree that the game would have been played in Green Bay. Snow and cold seems to excite the Packer fans who would have found their way there. They are a unique bunch.
True That
Finally someone who understands football in Wisconsin.

Dallas might be America's team, but The Green Bay Packers is GOD'S team.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:04 PM

Governor of NY issued a travel ban for Erie County, NY….which is where the Buffalo Bills stadium is located.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
True That
Finally someone who understands football in Wisconsin.

Dallas might be America's team, but The Green Bay Packers is GOD'S team.
Being from Chicago I am no Packer fan (you understand), but I must admit that for a town of 100,000 the team support is amazing. It is to Wisconsin what the Patriots are to New England.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Just another example of the woosification of America. Nasty weather in outdoor stadiums is what separates the men from the boys and has been part of football forever. Buffalo Bills fans are a crazy as it gets and would show up in droves for the game if it was played today. Northern teams, with open stadiums, construct their rosters for this possibility when playoff time comes around in January. Games have been played in the past in similar to worse conditions with no thought of cancellation. The Governor of New York is a total wimp that forced the NFL’s hand. It’s very sad how soft this country has become.
Old 01-14-2024, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Just another example of the woosification of America. Nasty weather in outdoor stadiums is what separates the men from the boys and has been part of football forever. Buffalo Bills fans are a crazy as it gets and would show up in droves for the game if it was played today. Northern teams, with open stadiums, construct their rosters for this possibility when playoff time comes around in January. Games have been played in the past in similar to worse conditions with no thought of cancellation. The Governor of New York is a total wimp that forced the NFL’s hand. It’s very sad how soft this country has become.
My feelings exactly.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-15-2024, 07:23 AM
Default Don’t speak of you do not know!

BTW, I'm from Wisconsin, and if that game was scheduled up there with the same
weather conditions, they would play that game on Sunday regardless.[/QUOTE]

Packers finally win a playoff game!

Lake Effect is no joke. If you haven't experienced it, you CAN NOT begin to imagine what the conditions are like.

I agree but Buffalo should have a dome. But fans couldn’t have gotten there anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	69359218619__9CEFA0FF-6346-4BEB-B603-96E9B1314342.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	102234   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1080.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	102235  
Old 01-15-2024, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
I challenge the statement people in Wisconsin are VERY FAMILIAR with lake effect snow. Wisconsin is on the westward side of lake Michigan. 99.9% of lake effect snow storms are on the east side of a great lake (Buffalo/lake Erie - Tug Hill /lake Ontario). Besides that fact unless Cheese-heads have x ray vision how do they drive in 3-6 inches per hour snowfall and 60 +mph winds = ZERO visibility.

Tags
stadiums, open, game, conditions, weather

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.