Replacement Refs

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Sage

Eric Mangini said this morning on Sportscenter that as long as revenue is not affected adversely, the strike will continue as the owners see this as the replacement refs will get better. I hope the owners come to their senses as we are talking about a small amount of money.

As usual, the fans suffer from seeing their teams getting the short end of the stick in this matter.

In a perfect world, the fans would not go to the games as a protest and cost the owners money.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Eric Mangini said this morning on Sportscenter that as long as revenue is not affected adversely, the strike will continue as the owners see this as the replacement refs will get better.
Perhaps, 2BNTV, but I suspect that if week 3 continues to be an embarrassment for the League, week 4 will see the return of the skilled employees.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Eric Mangini said this morning on Sportscenter that as long as revenue is not affected adversely, the strike will continue as the owners see this as the replacement refs will get better. I hope the owners come to their senses as we are talking about a small amount of money.

As usual, the fans suffer from seeing their teams getting the short end of the stick in this matter.

In a perfect world, the fans would not go to the games as a protest and cost the owners money.
Eric Mangini should be on Obama's team. How could revenue get affected???
Tickets are bought, commercials are bought, contracts with the networks are signed and sealed, DirecTV subscribers can't cancel w/o loss of $$; the biggest loosers would be the beer vendors.

I agree that the replacement refs are bad. I don't know how to solve the problem except to maybe make a Facebook or Twitter project out of it. After all, that got Betty White to host SNL !
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 09-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Gold member
Default Thursday Night Football...

Let's hope that the attention during tonight's Thursday Night Football is directed towards the players and not the refs.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Now that's funny!
Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkret View Post
Thanks for the link. And, it was NOT only last night. Anyone who thinks these replacements are doing a good job is either very charitable or doesn't watch the games. 3 and a half hour game??? Hey Refs, thanks for controlling the game. NOT! Well, at least the regulars will be back by Week 4 unless Roger Goodell wants to kill his golden goose.
I know the game,I have coached for many many years.The replacement teams are alll throwed together and many have not worked as a team ever. I should know? Have you ever done a game yourself?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 AM
Default Not that bad

The replacement Refs are currently contracted until week 5. I suspect that will get extended. The only way the owners bring back the regular refs is if we all stop watching. And that just ain't gonna happen. To the best of my limited knowledge of the dispute, it is not about salary and all about full time pensions for part time workers and the NFL does not want to set that precedent. It's a great part time job that pays extremely well. I don't know why anyone would want to risk that kind of extra pay. It's not like the refs have a limited window like an NFL running back. Some of these guys have been (part time) refs for 20 years! It seems to me that for some it is never enough and they always want more more more. I think it is shameful on both sides.

FYI, I am a huge PATS fan and can see why the ref threw the flag on the "Phantom Holding call" against GRONK. It was borderline at best and I can't be 100% sure that a regular ref wouldn't have done the same thing. It's upsetting to me that my Pats lost the game, but if they had played better the rest of the game it would not have come down to 1 questionable call at the end.

Last edited by kbace6; 09-21-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Title
Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 AM

As an FYI to all who may not be aware. The games have been longer IN PART to the new rules regarding all scoring plays are being reviewed.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 AM

The Ref's would be back on the field if they would drop their demand for a pension program. The NFL has offered a 401(k). These guys earn between $80k and $160k for part time work over five months.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
I know the game,I have coached for many many years.The replacement teams are alll throwed together and many have not worked as a team ever. I should know? Have you ever done a game yourself?
To quote Bob Dylan: "You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows".
Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkret View Post
To quote Bob Dylan: "You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows".
Thats one person I would never use as a quote.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Default Mis quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandjean View Post
Thats one person I would never use as a quote.
Not only can I not understand him when he speaks, but I can't understand his quotes either.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 AM
Sage
Default Nfl refs a joke

The NFL refs have become a bad joke like watching wrestling. Article in the NY Daily News for you to enjoy.

Seattle Seahawks' win over Green Bay Packers Monday night proves that replacement refs turning NFL into a joke - NY Daily News

Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Sage

Still hotly debated in NY and the rest of the world.

NFL replacement ref debacle: League is ruining its $9 billion brand in a war over pennies - NY Daily News

I liked the line the NFL is losing credibility when fans don't think the results are real.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Sage
Default It's Over?

Report: NFL and NFLRA close to ending officials lockout | SI Tracking Blog

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.