Tim Tebow to speak at controversial Dallas church.

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
To me, there is clearly an "agenda" of the media who actually report this as some kind of "news". The church is a huge, thriving, Baptist congregation having a strict, fundamentalist pastor who's outspoken in his teachings from the Bible, and is disliked and even hated by morally-permissive opponents because of it.

So WHAT if Tebow wants to “share his story, the difference Jesus Christ has made in his life"???????

This is not controversial. Just because a famous athlete shares his personal faith walk with an audience--that goes to it by choice--does not mean that he suddenly became a clone of that pastor, having every last one of his own thoughts, words and deeds being supplanted by that pastor!

Good Lord. It is getting to be appalling and even scary, how so many are willing to make a hated caricature out of a person just because they openly profess their Christian faith...and in this case, in a CHURCH no less!

If a famous and well-liked person cannot profess his faith in a CHURCH where nobody is forced to go with a gun to their head we are in deep, deep s*** in this society.
Amen.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,943 Times in 796 Posts

It's not the fact of Tim Tebow professing his faith in Christ that bothers me--it's where he's doing it, in a church whose pastor is so hostile toward beliefs other than his own extremely narrow-minded, hostile take on other religions. In my mind, Tim Tebow is tacitly supporting Jeffress' hatred toward other religious beliefs by speaking here.

I'm stopping here. Speechless.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It's not the fact of Tim Tebow professing his faith in Christ that bothers me--it's where he's doing it, in a church whose pastor is so hostile toward beliefs other than his own extremely narrow-minded, hostile take on other religions. In my mind, Tim Tebow is tacitly supporting Jeffress' hatred toward other religious beliefs by speaking here.

I'm stopping here. Speechless.
Well maybe Tebow offers an individual and different perspective that demonstrates that not all Christians think, speak and act alike. Attending a church service does not mean a person attending has to think, speak and act only like the pastor.

God does a pretty amazing job of creating people as billions of different individuals, who hopefully are allowed to have some individual freedom of speech. If the people choose to attend and listen to Tebow's story focused on God--not the pastor--then that is their right and this should not be considered "offensive" to certain groups of people who are not even mentioned.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Sage
Why does anybody even pay any attention to this third string quarterback? What other third-rate player makes the news? Tim Tebow should just go quietly off and do whatever it is he wants to do, but playing in the NFL is probably not going to be one of his options.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Well maybe Tebow offers an individual and different perspective that demonstrates that not all Christians think, speak and act alike. Attending a church service does not mean a person attending has to think, speak and act only like the pastor.

God does a pretty amazing job of creating people as billions of different individuals, who hopefully are allowed to have some individual freedom of speech. If the people choose to attend and listen to Tebow's story focused on God--not the pastor--then that is their right and this should not be considered "offensive" to certain groups of people who are not even mentioned.
If that were the case, why wouldn't he choose a more broad-minded church at which to profess his faith? If I were famous and were going to profess my faith publicly, I would choose a venue in tune with my beliefs. I'm wary of his choice.

And in answer to another poster who wonders why anybody pays attention to a third-string quarterback, I think it is because he is a very famous quarterback, for whatever reason. So he has some credibility to some people.

Again, I have nothing against Tebow. But I wonder exactly where his beliefs lie. Is he narrow-minded toward other religions? I have concerns due to the beliefs of the church where he is speaking. Hard to believe he would choose this particular church if he had a broad-minded, accepting view of others' religious beliefs.

I'm a liberal Presbyterian, to let you know where I'm coming from.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Amen.
Make that two Amens....

Mr. Grampy II
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?" -Satchel Paige
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
If that were the case, why wouldn't he choose a more broad-minded church at which to profess his faith? If I were famous and were going to profess my faith publicly, I would choose a venue in tune with my beliefs. I'm wary of his choice.

And in answer to another poster who wonders why anybody pays attention to a third-string quarterback, I think it is because he is a very famous quarterback, for whatever reason. So he has some credibility to some people.

Again, I have nothing against Tebow. But I wonder exactly where his beliefs lie. Is he narrow-minded toward other religions? I have concerns due to the beliefs of the church where he is speaking. Hard to believe he would choose this particular church if he had a broad-minded, accepting view of others' religious beliefs.

I'm a liberal Presbyterian, to let you know where I'm coming from.

A Christian's testimony of how God has been merciful, powerful and beneficent in his/her life is for anyone, not just those who are "broad-minded" in today's American political terms.

Christ himself was not politically correct nor "broad-minded" nor "accepting of others' religious beliefs". He made this quite clear when saying:

"6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

John 14:5-7 NIV1984 - Jesus the Way to the Father - Thomas - Bible Gateway
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Sage

It may be for anyone, but there are different slants to a testimony, and the venue he chose is telling. I don't think Jesus had the same distaste for people of different religions that this Jeffress seems to have. I certainly wouldn't give my testimony in a church whose pastor/doctrine was so exclusive.

That's it, I'm done with this. You can respond and have the last word; I don't care. I stand by my original thoughts.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
This will probably make the Jets want to trade Tebow. Not sure which team would want him now though after he makes this kind of misstep? Tim Tebow to
I would ask; what drives the likes of Tebow to EXTREMISM. He could have such a positive impact on our youth if only he would endorse LOVE not HATE. We humans are instructed, no commanded to leave Gods Judgement to God yet so many are driven to HATE anything outside of their narrow minded views and condemn them to hell as if they speak for GOD. I believe hate filled people like Tebow will be more nervous on judgement day than normal Christians.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 AM
Platinum member

Oh for Heavens sake! It's amazing to me how people like to demonize a Christian and twist them into being "haters". Maybe the admin should take another look and ban religious threads as well as political!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Sage
Default Tebow Cancels Visit To Church

Tim Tebow has canceled his visit to The Frist Baptist Church as he became aware of the pastor's views.

Jets' Tebow cancels speech at controversial Dallas church - NYPOST.com

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Tim Tebow has canceled his visit to The Frist Baptist Church as he became aware of the pastor's views.

More power to him. It's still a free country where he and all of us can speak where and when we want to.

It's interesting that a "narrow-minded", "hate-filled" "hater" can change his mind like that when new information is presented. (Sarcasm intended)
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:

Hats off to him. And I'm glad to know that my character assessment of him was spot-on. I really didn't see him as a fit with that pastor, and I was disappointed that he was speaking there. He does have a presence due to his football, and some people will listen to what he says. So a more inclusive venue in which to say it is good.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Sage

"Some" say that he's caving into the liberal press! I see it as there is more than we know behind the story and he's maybe taking it under advisement that it wouldn't best serve anyone if he'd appear there. I applaud Tim Teboe (and his mom as well) for being bold with their faith.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,087 Posts

Quote:

Good for him. He probably gets invitations from all kinds of Christian groups to talk and does not research each and every one.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.