2 Very basic questions. Construction of Villas & Taxes

Old 02-21-2024, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
4). get one where the lanai has been enclosed. You’re not going to want to sit out in a screened lanai in August heat or when the storms hit

5). Don’t get a corner villa but do try to get one on an oversized lot.
Corner lots are larger but come with added landscape upkeep but oversized lots give you the extra room behind the courtyard wall.
We have a CYV oversized corner lot. Our first home was a CYV that was not a corner lot. If I had to do it over again, I would ONLY look for a corner lot. In my case I have both sides of the house on my lot - great to use one side to hide the pool equipment. The upkeep is minimal since I replaced all grass with stone. I trim the bushes and trees along the road twice a year.

My lanai is not enclosed. I have a 1,300 sq ft birdcage that fills the back yard. My lanai opens directly onto the birdcage. 2/3 of the birdcage has a vinyl cover, so no rain, and blocks direct sun. I have no issues with heat or storms.

Just another perspective!
Old 02-21-2024, 07:57 AM

Is it Mostly true once you buy your house and it is reassessed for the new amount and you homestead it that the Tax increases are capped going fprward?
Old 02-21-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Wildwood taxes are large, but then we are also hit with Sumter county taxes and school taxes (go figure 80 percent of pop is 60 or older). The only one that skips by on taxes is the Developer. His impact fees are less than 1000 dollars per developed lot.

Taxes are probably the single largest annual expense since moving to Florida.
Impact fees are not paid by the developer, they are paid by the home owner as the costs of development are part of the purchase price. The developer is just a conduit. Same thing with corporate taxes!
Old 02-21-2024, 08:10 AM
Sage

Not exactly. The increase in the assessed value is capped at 3%. The actual taxes are the product of the assessed value (minus the exemptions) and the millage rate. The millage rate can go up also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrnnr View Post
Is it Mostly true once you buy your house and it is reassessed for the new amount and you homestead it that the Tax increases are capped going fprward?
Old 02-21-2024, 08:25 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
Impact fees are not paid by the developer, they are paid by the home owner as the costs of development are part of the purchase price. The developer is just a conduit. Same thing with corporate taxes!
True, the Developer doesn’t pay the impact fees that all the other developers in the state pay. They can’t afford the financial impact.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-21-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Look for a used home in unincorporated Villages. All new construction areas have city taxes now. Wildwood extended their incorporation of city limits all the way to Middleton and even beyond to collect their windfall. A 500 k home is over 10,000 a year just in bond and taxes. Add insurances and utilities to that at about 600 a month? Wildwood charges around 1500 of that per year.
Aren't bonds in that price range on new houses more like $30k or more in Lake County now?
Old 02-21-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My costs are less. Monthly costs for a courtyard villa are:

Electric, $130
District water, amenities, etc., $270
Homeowners insurance, $75
Lawn care, pest, etc. $85
Property tax and bond, $333
Total, $893 per month
Mine are higher and I dont even live there yet!

Distrtict water is close to $300
rental ins for dwelling is over $800 a year
lawn is $65 a month $122 for pest every other
Gas is about $30
property tax and bond last year was just over $6,000......
Electric about $50 right now.........was up to $80 with the air..........
No interent yet either........
Old 02-21-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
We have a CYV oversized corner lot. Our first home was a CYV that was not a corner lot. If I had to do it over again, I would ONLY look for a corner lot. In my case I have both sides of the house on my lot - great to use one side to hide the pool equipment. The upkeep is minimal since I replaced all grass with stone. I trim the bushes and trees along the road twice a year.

My lanai is not enclosed. I have a 1,300 sq ft birdcage that fills the back yard. My lanai opens directly onto the birdcage. 2/3 of the birdcage has a vinyl cover, so no rain, and blocks direct sun. I have no issues with heat or storms.

Just another perspective!
Do you have stones in back only or in front too?
Old 02-21-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmowhiskers View Post
aren't bonds in that price range on new houses more like $30k or more in lake county now?
yes
Old 02-21-2024, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
Thank you for the encouraging response...I like the way you think !
Will

With a new Courtyard Villa (carrying a small mortgage) are my estimated in line with reality ? Thank for your opinion.
You can find a villa with the bond paid. However, there will be a maintenance fee of a few hundred dollars on your tax bill. The bond never goes to zero.

When looking at homes, ask the sales agent to run the monthly expenses for you. I feel like I am very knowledgable, but when I bought a few months back, I had the agent do this WITHOUT looking at my estimate. This way, I was certain my numbers were in the ballpark. Each agent will be happy to do this for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I think I asked around a million while I was looking. It took me 7 months to buy. But, I found what I wanted!

I bought an inherited home that was on the market for 44 days. I made a low ball offer and they came back with a great counter. The family wanted to unload the home quickly because they did not want to continue paying the monthly expenses. Good deals are out there! You have shown you have a smart head on your shoulders. You'll know a great deal when you see it. Good luck!

Last edited by margaretmattson; 02-21-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the encouraging response...I like the way you think !
Will

With a new Courtyard Villa (carrying a small mortgage) are my estimated in line with reality ? Thank for your opinion.
thats about right on too
Old 02-21-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
1) Are ALL the vinyl sided Villas constructed of wood frame ?

2) Which county has the highest taxes ?

Thanks, Will
My home has vinyl siding but with steel framing. It withstood the 2007 Tornado, which destroyed our neighbor's homes. I am sure the original owner paid extra for that.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
aren’t bonds in that price range of new houses in Lake County more like 30k or more? yes
A little over 50,000 dollars now and with 5.5% interest.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-21-2024, 01:28 PM

Quote:
A little over 50,000 dollars now and with 5.5% interest.
Lake County Amortization Schedules

Clicked on a few ....... 22k to 72k in District 14
Old 02-21-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:
1) Are ALL the vinyl sided Villas constructed of wood frame ?

2) Which county has the highest taxes ?

Thanks, Will
Bond, property taxes, & utilities are all higher in Lake & Marion County. Some cities have a city tax (Wildwood). ask all these questions before buying. Ask what electric company you must use. Seco is the cheapest bec. it is a co-op.

Tags
taxes, villas, construction, wood, highest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.