2 Very basic questions. Construction of Villas & Taxes

Old 02-21-2024, 02:49 PM

I just bought what may be my last home in TV. While everyone has his/her own opinion on this, I preferred to buy in an incorporated area of Sumter county. Just my preference.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:58 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
I just bought what may be my last home in TV. While everyone has his/her own opinion on this, I preferred to buy in an incorporated area of Sumter county. Just my preference.
Definitely the best choice! The new builds now are all taxed annually for quite a bit from Wildwood, Leesburg and Fruitland Park. The annual taxes will never go away. You will save a bundle!

(Sorry, I originally read for some reason you wrote UNincorporated)

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning

Last edited by Normal; 02-22-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:44 AM

Vinyl, wood frame, yes

Link to county property tax rates.

Florida Property Tax Calculator - SmartAsset
Old 02-22-2024, 05:36 AM
Veteran member

We have a big designer home in a popular village south of 44 and we pay 25% less than what a poster posted. We also pay around $100 a month for home insurance with high coverage due to umbrella requirements. Every other monthly cost is based on lifestyle so it will vary between households
Old 02-22-2024, 08:36 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
Thank you for the encouraging response...I like the way you think !
Will

With a new Courtyard Villa (carrying a small mortgage) are my estimated in line with reality ? Thank for your opinion.
Some good news & some not so good news. Water is separated into potable & non potable. The potable is what comes into your house (all faucets, washer, bathrooms, kitchen & the outside water spigots), non potable is the water used for irrigation of your lawn. Potable water & sewer are somewhat tied, under the theory that what goes in, comes out (the base is slightly different).

Ad Valorem for unicorporated Sumter County is: 5.190%, School 4.987%, water district .2043% (SWFWMD).
Non-Ad Valoren is: fire $125. Maintenance: depends on the Unit you purchase (Unit is all of the houses within your bond area, not a unit as in a condo unit) & can be found by looking at a tax bill for the houses you are considering. I think they run a couple of hundred. So I suspect your second from the bottom line item Bond, Fire, CDD taxes is a little on the low side, but not by much maybe 10 or 20 dollars? (Also assuming Bond is actually up higher on the list). Mine is close to $50. Your bond is also listed as higher than mine, mine is around $90 a month. Once again, depends on which house you buy.

My electric & internet are lower than your estimates. I have high speed fiber optic from Quantum & it is about $50. Electric for the year averages around $80, with July, August, September being the highest running aound $150 for those hot months.

Lawn estimate may or may not be high. My basic lawn is $80 a month. But there are occasional extras for weeds & shrub & palm tree maintenance.

The amentity fee was raised to 195.99.

Otherwise it matches pretty much to your estimates & what RetiredGuy has.

Mine are for a designer, corner lot, south of 466A, enclosed AC lanai.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Look for a used home in unincorporated Villages. All new construction areas have city taxes now. Wildwood extended their incorporation of city limits all the way to Middleton and even beyond to collect their windfall. A 500 k home is over 10,000 a year just in bond and taxes. Add insurances and utilities to that at about 600 a month? Wildwood charges around 1500 of that per year.
How is it you pay $10K a year in bond and taxes? We have a home worth just over $500K and our taxes are just under $3K a year. Also, when we did still have the bond, it was only a payment of under $500 a year. Not arguing here, just wondering where you arrive at $10K a year total.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:17 AM
Sage

Are you in Sumter County and don't pay Wildwood taxes? The assessed value and millage rate matter, as well as if you homestead. We don't know what his assessed value is. Your assessed value is not $500K if your taxes (county and school) are under $3K and you are in Sumter County as the millage rate is a bit over 10, albeit the homestead exemptions differ for county and school. If your bond payment was $500 then you are in an older home, perhaps 15-20 years old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
How is it you pay $10K a year in bond and taxes? We have a home worth just over $500K and our taxes are just under $3K a year. Also, when we did still have the bond, it was only a payment of under $500 a year. Not arguing here, just wondering where you arrive at $10K a year total.

Last edited by biker1; 02-22-2024 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 09:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
Purchased in South of 44 area at 600k our ad valorem was more than twice that! Then non-ad valorem was a little over 3k! Such a joy to pay each and every year for the rest of our lives. We wish we had your tax bill. Unincorporated? Homeowners is a big killer too and isn’t even in those figures.

I’m not sure where the housing market will bottom out at or how it will affect our taxes though. Will taxes go up as things dry? We shall see. The bottom looks like mid August? The inventory is doing crazy numbers right now with more sellers than buyers.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 02-22-2024, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
1) Are ALL the vinyl sided Villas constructed of wood frame ?

2) Which county has the highest taxes ?

Thanks, Will
Marion County, CDD 4, has no municipal taxes. School taxes might be higher.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Its not JUST about the current tax rate: The future tax rate BASIS is dependent upon whether you are homesteaded there or not.

A homesteaded house has a 3% annual increase limit on the tax base, a non homesteaded house has an average 7% annual increase in the tax base.

So its not just about rates but also about basis. . .

Please do your own due diligence. . . and please don't believe me but check for yourself

Tags
taxes, villas, construction, wood, highest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.