Diversity in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Why do people need to put labels on people? That and name calling?
Exactly!!
Old 04-13-2019, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Where have you seen ads for TV? I think I've seen them on the Golf channel and of course in retirement magazines. Where else? Do they advertise on FOX or MSNBC, or BET or Univision? If ads are a useful method of selling TV, then where do the Morses place their ads? That might have something to do with the fact that our community does not mirror the make up of America.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Where have you seen ads for TV? I think I've seen them on the Golf channel and of course in retirement magazines. Where else? Do they advertise on FOX or MSNBC, or BET or Univision? If ads are a useful method of selling TV, then where do the Morses place their ads? That might have something to do with the fact that our community does not mirror the make up of America.
The “make up of America” was a lot different in the 1940s when most of the Villagers were born. These folks, primarily first and second generation of European descent are now retired. Then came the Kennedys and the rest is history.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
The “make up of America” was a lot different in the 1940s when most of the Villagers were born. These folks, primarily first and second generation of European descent are now retired. Then came the Kennedys and the rest is history.
Actually the average age of a Villager is 60 for female and 62 for male, which puts their birthday in the late 1950's (1957 And 1959 respectively)...and not the 1940's when "most of us were born."

Some of us Villagers were born during Vietnam. I guess that explain a lot about the different viewpoints and attitudes toward diversity and culture.

The Villages Florida

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2019, 02:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
WIKI

n 2018, the median age for both sexes in The Villages metropolitan statistical area is 67.4, with this being 29 years older than a typical American, and five years older than the median age of residents in the next-oldest county in the United States, which is on the Hawaiian island of Molokai.[25]

that would make it about 1950 or earlier perhaps for a lot of folks I eyeball. Vietnam was in the mid 1960s. I doubt we have many in that age category.

In any event, my point was not about the age but that most of the immigration was from Europe until the Kennedys got involved.
Have your heard of the South of Sixty Club? Look them up on Facebook. Lots and lots of people in that age bracket here in TV. Many of whom are helping TV become more diverse.

As one previous (and wise poster) stated:

"The best and only way for diversity to be addressed is for the residents to continue to be welcoming, considerate, and accepting to their neighbors."

As the OP of this topic, I am finished discussing the non-existence of diversity in TV.

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 04-14-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:11 AM
Gold member

The topic was not about age. You should know since you started the thread.Most of the NOTS I know do not spend any time at all worrying about how old my fellow Villagers are or what race they are. Lack of different skin colors does not mean lack of Diversity unless you are a person guilty of Profiling. It is a waste of time and if that is what the SOTS are all about it is just one more thing I am not interested in.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:20 AM
Platinum member

Blech...

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 04-14-2019 at 03:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Why are you trying to start something ugly? I've never even heard of anyone not being welcome here.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
The topic was not about age. You should know since you started the thread.Most of the NOTS I know do not spend any time at all worrying about how old my fellow Villagers are or what race they are. Lack of different skin colors does not mean lack of Diversity unless you are a person guilty of Profiling. It is a waste of time and if that is what the SOTS are all about it is just one more thing I am not interested in.

Oh the irony.

Us poor old white folks, we have it so darned rough, even after working so hard to earn the right to be born with the single biggest head start (being born Caucasian)...one could have in this country.

Oh wait, we didn't really 'earn' that lucky privilege...we are just members of the 'lucky sperm club.'

And yet, so many act like they are superior/entitled due to some sort of privilege, based solely on...a lucky roll of the cosmic dice.

Just ask how many of these people wished they had been born with black skin, ask them why they are glad they weren't after they say "NO"...and you have the answer as to the root of the problem.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:10 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Why are you trying to start something ugly? I've never even heard of anyone not being welcome here.
I haven’t either!
Old 04-14-2019, 06:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

Oh the irony.

Us poor old white folks, we have it so darned rough, even after working so hard to earn the right to be born with the single biggest head start (being born Caucasian)...one could have in this country.

Oh wait, we didn't really 'earn' that lucky privilege...we are just members of the 'lucky sperm club.'

And yet, so many act like they are superior/entitled due to some sort of privilege, based solely on...a lucky roll of the cosmic dice.

Just ask how many of these people wished they had been born with black skin, ask them why they are glad they weren't after they say "NO"...and you have the answer as to the root of the problem.

Wow! Admitting you think of yourself as Superior to folks of all other races because you were born Caucasian is the kind of thinking that propelled a leader of an entire European Country to exterminate tens of millions of others. Do you really think that way ? Thank God there are not many who do. There is no place for that kind of thinking.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Me neither.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:46 AM
Gold member

The Moderator should close this thread. I am headed to Services and I hope to erase the ugly thoughts expressed by that poster.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
As stated above if you like it and can afford it then you come no matter what color, religion, politics or what ever other things the diversity frenzy of the day feeds upon.

The only measure is how old and can one write the check.
Then the chips and results fall where they may.

Most likely very much like where most of us came from.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:03 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I brought up for discussion the question of diversity in The Villages.. Nothing ugly about that.

I was really happy to see most people who responded are extremely welcoming (as it should be).

Unfortunately it only takes one Apple to spoil the bunch.

Enuf said. OVER AND OUT...

Closed Thread

Tags
villages, real, answer, guess, sm-n920r4

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.