Landscaping a new home

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Be thankful of NO palms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't recall any new homes that have palms that were installed by the builder/developer. As far as I know, palms are all add-ons.

The developer uses palms in landscaping the rec centers, golf courses, public areas, etc., but I don't think they put them on home lots anywhere, unless maybe they do this for the models? Anyone know this for sure?

We feel lucky in that we mostly like what they put in front and on the side patio of our CYV. We have added a lot, but only pulled out a little - but we did pull out some - not the case everywhere.
We removed our three, they were a pain in the a**!...Constantly triming, which is usually $100 a trip and roaches love them....Bye-bye palm tree!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

ssmith, I'm partial to windmill palms (think Corona beer commercial with the Christmas lights), they don't get too tall (15-20'), grow slow, and very cold hardy. For a smaller palm, I love European Fan Palms. Coonties are another very good choice for a bush looking palm.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 PM

the tree she is talking about is a crape myrtle and it blooms all sumer almost my landscaper put in a really pretty tree it was called a red bud it losses it leaves in the winter but it is so pritty early spring it flowers with no leaves the entire thing turns a beautiful purple. i did the cheap package and hired a awsome landscaper to fix it up like i wanted afterwords it was cheaper than paying for the premium landscape pac from the villages builder
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.