State Tax on New Home

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
Default State Tax on New Home

We are renting in The Villages for a month and looking at homes while we are here both new and pre-owned. We know about the bond but today we heard from someone that there is another tax which is a state tax only paid on a new home by the original buyer. She said it is a one time tax and the buyer of a pre-owned does not have to pay this as it has been paid by the original owner. She didn't know the name of the tax and thought the name started with the letter I. Does anyone know anything about this tax such as is it based on the purchase price of the home? Thanks for any information.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Veteran member

If you buy a new home, The Villages pays most of the taxes and closing fees. The only thing we had to pay for was the prorated property tax and fire assessment.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Question

I was told that there is a surcharge added on to each spec or new home that can sometimes be as much as the bond. Any truth to that nasty rumor?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Gold member

There is a Florida Mortgage tax if you have a mortgage. Don't know if it is on a used home ornot. My wife and sister close on a new Patio Villa on Monday and there is no mortgage and no Florida tax. There is no Sales Tax.

Also check out this thread it may help you.

New or Resale homes (purchase)
Old 04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I was told that there is a surcharge added on to each spec or new home that can sometimes be as much as the bond. Any truth to that nasty rumor?
NO
Old 04-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Platinum member

Could it be "doc" stamps? Usually they are paid by the seller, on a $245,000 home they could be $1715. This is on a resale, I don't know about new.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Gold member

Somebody is pulling your leg. This isn't true.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Sage

Where is this stuff coming from? Like any real estate deal, you can get a complete list of all costs prior to signing on any dotted line. If you don't like the deal then don't do it.

Some of these posts must be a joke or from our usual cast of shills. I just noticed there are lots of new threads that have this same theme.

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 04-17-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: removed phrase 'uneducated crap' - sorry
Old 04-17-2010, 06:43 AM
Default State Tax

Thanks everyone for the info. And Russ just because someone asks a question does not make them uneducated or a shill! Some of us hear what might be rumors and want to find out the truth before finding a place and then find hidden expences. Also as for being a new poster we have been members for years and read TOTV daily but don't post often so don't judge. I am sorry to see that we come from the same hometown of Boston!!!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgrider View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. And Russ just because someone asks a question does not make them uneducated or a shill! Some of us hear what might be rumors and want to find out the truth before finding a place and then find hidden expences. Also as for being a new poster we have been members for years and read TOTV daily but don't post often so don't judge. I am sorry to see that we come from the same hometown of Boston!!!!!
Sorry, but most of my comment wasn't intended for you. When someone like you poses a serious question about the bond or tax or closing costs you'll notice that others jump in and fan the flames. Most of the time they are brand new users with 1 or 2 posts who's only intent (without being explicit) is to steer you to some other real estate development. Maybe I've been jaded since I've been on here for 3 years and see the same thing time after time. I have no problem when someone is upfront about their intentions or affiliations but I'll bet TOTV has had hundreds of members who's job it is to get you thinking something else. It is called viral marketing and sometimes it works with all the social media prevalent today.

If I was being judgmental please understand that I'm just voicing my frustration since I don't want legitimate TOTV members to be persuaded by false information. So I try to point that out when necessary. The frustration was just voiced on this page. I must have read 4 different threads yesterday that had a lot of these type of questions.

note: I edited my first response since that was not my intent.

Last edited by Russ_Boston; 04-17-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Sage

Just as Starflyte says, there is a Florida "doc stamp tax." That is probably the source of the confusion/rumor. It is collected every time a house is sold and the tax is $7.00 per thousand. When we closed on our house in TV the builder paid it as part of the closing costs. When we bought property before in Florida, the seller paid it. It's on Line 1203 of the settlement statement.

The good news is, currently if you buy new, the builder pays all of those anxst-causing additional fees, like impact and utilitity fees, and rolls them into the price of the house. So the price you see is the price you get.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Sage
Default closing xtras

Agree Carla, except for the bond.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Sage

You're 100% right, Mulligan. How could I forget about that? I guess we only think about it when the property tax bills come out or when they send the letter once a year that says you can pay it off.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Platinum member

I'm getting confused now. Is there still a bond on a new purchase? I thought the bond was like impact fees. Pat
Old 04-18-2010, 07:31 AM
Default Tax on New Home

I was told yesterday that it is called an impact fee. Maybe this is the bond not sure.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.