Whole house Generators

Whole house Generators

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Whole house Generators
  #1  
Old 09-27-2017, 10:26 PM
rjm1cc's Avatar
rjm1cc rjm1cc is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Whole house Generators

Interested in your experience. Please include years you have had the generator, brand, reliability etc. Looking for which brands to consider buying and which to avoid.

  #2  
Old 09-28-2017, 06:43 AM
SKIMAN's Avatar
SKIMAN SKIMAN is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: VILLAGE OF OZ
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

check out,central maine diesel generator for models an ideas
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 09-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Madelaine Amee's Avatar
Madelaine Amee Madelaine Amee is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages North
Posts: 3,497
Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Interested in your experience. Please include years you have had the generator, brand, reliability etc. Looking for which brands to consider buying and which to avoid.
I have never needed a generator until this last storm - my neighbor shared his with my refrigerator! However, my son lives and runs a business out of one of the new affluent "villages" springing up in the suburbs in Northern NH and he loses power continually. He tells me there is a new generator on the market, two in fact, they are whisper quiet and can be lifted with one hand. BUT, they are expensive, I believe he quoted me in the $4,000 range. If you are interested I will ask him for details or you could google it. I do remember he said Kohler makes one of the new whisper quiet models.
__________________
A people free to choose will always choose peace.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
  #4  
Old 09-28-2017, 09:18 AM
OldManTime OldManTime is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 671
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

keep in mind the amount of fuel that needs to be stored, for months, even years.
  #5  
Old 09-28-2017, 09:19 AM
village dreamer village dreamer is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 595
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

if you want to do your house ac , you need a big gen. normally nat, gas, if just a few things,lights, frig , tv, you can buy a gasoline gen. but you have to store 20 gal. of gas. and run out to get more. about 6 gal every 12 hrs to run a gasoline gen.
  #6  
Old 09-28-2017, 09:37 AM
dnobles dnobles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 260
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

My friend lives in Jacksonville She bought one and her neighbor turned her in because it had to run every week. The noise bothered the neighbor and my friend could never run it. Double check before you spend the money to make sure it's not an issue here. I don't know I'm just throwing this out to you. You know if people complain about a bird!
  #7  
Old 09-28-2017, 09:42 AM
justjim justjim is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Posts: 4,402
Thanks: 24
Thanked 37 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Unless you have a "health condition", I personally wouldn't even consider one. We have very reliable electricity in The Villages. Just my opinion but to each his own. You might get a recommendation from SECO?
__________________
Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abraham Lincoln
  #8  
Old 09-28-2017, 10:26 AM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 5,293
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

I think the small very quiet generators are the HONDA inverter based units, back up north I rented one and it was so quite, you could have a normal conversation next to it while it was running, and yes they are easily twice as expensive as a similar rated traditional generator.
Next, small portable generators are NOT meant for extended run times, they do not nave oil filters, etc, and have specific requirements for maintenance. Also, back up north, I burnt out one of these, on the gasoline engine side, apparently an intact valve failed.
Generac (trade name) and similar outdoor pad mounted generators are designed for extended run times, electric start, automatic operation, etc, these are being advertised on TV for a 7 kw unit starting at just under $2000, note this does not include installation, the transfer switch, etc., figure at least twice that price.
As note previously, you need to consider fuel, gasoline does not store well for months on end, propane is probably a much better choice, but much more costly.
Finally, I agree with many of the comments, if you want to protect you food supply, be able to charge your phones, turn on a couple of lights, and maybe a TV, you can get by with a smaller unit 3kw(?), and cycle it to keep your food cold.
__________________
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
  #9  
Old 09-28-2017, 10:37 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 12,859
Thanks: 1
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnobles View Post
My friend lives in Jacksonville She bought one and her neighbor turned her in because it had to run every week. The noise bothered the neighbor and my friend could never run it. Double check before you spend the money to make sure it's not an issue here. I don't know I'm just throwing this out to you. You know if people complain about a bird!
Ha ha, I remember that! Mockingbirds making too much noise at night.

I wonder how many hours per week your friend had to run her generator.
__________________
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
  #10  
Old 09-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I think the small very quiet generators are the HONDA inverter based units, back up north I rented one and it was so quite, you could have a normal conversation next to it while it was running, and yes they are easily twice as expensive as a similar rated traditional generator.
Next, small portable generators are NOT meant for extended run times, they do not nave oil filters, etc, and have specific requirements for maintenance. Also, back up north, I burnt out one of these, on the gasoline engine side, apparently an intact valve failed.
Generac (trade name) and similar outdoor pad mounted generators are designed for extended run times, electric start, automatic operation, etc, these are being advertised on TV for a 7 kw unit starting at just under $2000, note this does not include installation, the transfer switch, etc., figure at least twice that price.
As note previously, you need to consider fuel, gasoline does not store well for months on end, propane is probably a much better choice, but much more costly.
Finally, I agree with many of the comments, if you want to protect you food supply, be able to charge your phones, turn on a couple of lights, and maybe a TV, you can get by with a smaller unit 3kw(?), and cycle it to keep your food cold.
There's a gasoline additive that will extend the shelf life of gasoline. Sorry, I don't recall the name.

The other thing is that we usually get a week or more notice before a major hurricane is coming this way. Usually, there's no problem getting gas until one or two days before.
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
brand, reliability, brands, avoid, buying

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.