Is bigger better? Why giant cruise ships like Symphony of the Seas are hard to resist

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2018, 02:38 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Is bigger better? Why giant cruise ships like Symphony of the Seas are hard to resist

Is bigger better? Why giant cruise ships like Symphony of the Seas are hard to resist...

What is it about giant cruise ships that makes them so appealing to so many vacationers?

Even the longtime cruise industry executive who is about to usher in the most giant cruise ship of them all isn't entirely sure.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

OmniTours
"Personalizing Group Travel"

Toll Free: 877-787-OMNI (6664)

Toll Free FAX: 877-787-6658

OmniTours - Personalizing Group Travel - Dance Cruises & Group CruisesOmniTours | Personalizing Group Travel – Dance Cruises & Group Cruises
Old 03-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

6700 passengers....no thank you.
Who said bigger is better?
The space per passenger, in my opinion, is compromised on the mega ships.
Logistics with that many people...just that much more that could go wrong.

No Thanx.
I will stick with the mega ships of the past....2500-3000....big enough.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised with the Oasis of the Seas, very few times did we feel crowded. Having said that, the big ships take away from cruising. I'm a fan of the small ships, where you can feel the sea, have better access in ports and have a more intimate atmosphere. I was also a fan of dressing up in the evenings and the waiters that took the time to really understand what his customers preferred, harder to do that on the big ships. But, the big ships are profitable, burn less fuel, attract the casual and younger clientele and focus on entertainment and not the cruise. Just my opinion.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-30-2018, 04:49 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I was pleasantly surprised with the Oasis of the Seas, very few times did we feel crowded. Having said that, the big ships take away from cruising. I'm a fan of the small ships, where you can feel the sea, have better access in ports and have a more intimate atmosphere. I was also a fan of dressing up in the evenings and the waiters that took the time to really understand what his customers preferred, harder to do that on the big ships. But, the big ships are profitable, burn less fuel, attract the casual and younger clientele and focus on entertainment and not the cruise. Just my opinion.

Less of a herd boarding and disembarking, too.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-30-2018, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Are we really asking does size matter ?
Old 03-30-2018, 06:26 PM
Sage

We prefer charters of 8 (4 couples) or bare boats. For river cruises, 40 is a nice number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniTours View Post
Is bigger better? Why giant cruise ships like Symphony of the Seas are hard to resist...

What is it about giant cruise ships that makes them so appealing to so many vacationers?

Even the longtime cruise industry executive who is about to usher in the most giant cruise ship of them all isn't entirely sure.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

OmniTours
"Personalizing Group Travel"

Toll Free: 877-787-OMNI (6664)

Toll Free FAX: 877-787-6658

OmniTours - Personalizing Group Travel - Dance Cruises & Group CruisesOmniTours | Personalizing Group Travel – Dance Cruises & Group Cruises
Old 03-31-2018, 08:18 AM
Gold member
Default Norwegian Epic

We recently took a one week Western Caribbean cruise on Norwegian Epic. With 4,200 passengers, it is way too big for us. Way too much lining up at the bar, crowds at dinner time, stepping on toes on embarkation and disembarkation, shortage of staff, etc. We do like Norwegian Cruise Line a lot, especially the freestyle dining, but never again will be cruise a mega ship. Passenger counts of 2,000 - 2,500 are just about perfect.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, giant, ships, resist, toll

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.