CDC no longer warning travelers about risk of contracting COVID on cruise ships after

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2022, 11:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Probably stopped warning people after more than two years because they figured if anyone is so stupid to not understand the risk by now than Darwin’s Law applies.
So if people want to get out and carefully live again they are stupid?

Wish we could disagree without the name calling.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
So if people want to get out and carefully live again they are stupid?

Wish we could disagree without the name calling.
Read the post again, it says people are stupid if they still don’t understand the risk after over two years. Your taking things out of context.
Old 04-06-2022, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Read the post again, it says people are stupid if they still don’t understand the risk after over two years. Your taking things out of context.
My apology you are correct.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:09 PM

Societies curse is 'the covid test'
So many with no symptoms that test positive ... nobody dying -- move on.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:08 PM

The unvaccinated get to cruise when they decide to be vaccinated. Period, end of sentence.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty6971 View Post
Catching something contagious on a cruise ship is always a possible event, be it a common cold, the flu, Norovirus, or a coronavirus such as Covid-19. Regardless of some press reports, "outbreaks" of Covid-19 are quite limited now. It would not be nice to be the one or two that get it but your odds are very small to be one of them. We've been on two cruises since November 2021. The Thanksgiving cruise was two weeks - no crew or passengers were diagnosed. The crew was tested no less than once per week and had a 100% negative outcome. The second cruise was March 2022; again, no crew members were diagnosed. One passenger was diagnosed during testing for a back-to-back cruise in and out of Tampa. The ship then had to test everyone possibly in close contact with that person and all were negative.

Is it possible to get Covid-19 during a cruise, either from the ship-board people or from someone at the ports you stop at? Sure it's possible and as I said that's a question everyone must consider, particularly if they are immunocompromised. My thought is we must start treating this virus like the flu - take precautions but don't let it ruin your life by making you hide in your personal cave the rest of your life.

Let the hating begin.
Oh, yes, the hating will begin....LOL ! It will come from the jealous, those who miss out on many things in life because they fear most things (except, in so many cases, traveling in automobiles, possibly the most dangerous thing any of us do!) in life, the beach, the gators, walking the dog without a mask, and I say, everyone should do exactly what makes THEM comfortable in their retirement life. But if you are not a cruiser, or not a scuba diver, or a cyclist, or a mountain climber, then why even get on TOTV's, or FB, or other, and RANT about something you have never done and would never do ? Have cousin who does that, nothing could get her to take an ocean cruise, fine, great, but she HAS to constantly rant about those "floating petri dishes", why ? Does she have some kind of strange emotional reaction deep inside herself, that she secretly wishes she was not so afraid to travel ? Who knows ? Makes you wonder why people feel COMPELLED to make some kind of negative comment on something they have no interest in. I have relatives here who sky dive at a nearby sky diving club, I have NO interest in it, they both love it (never did it before retirement), but I don't feel a compelling NEED to make negative comments about their new hobby ! It's people, the world is full of a WIDE RANGE of people who operate out of drives we will never even know !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 04-06-2022 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:42 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Oh, yes, the hating will begin....LOL ! It will come from the jealous, those who miss out on many things in life because the fear most things (except, in so many cases, traveling in automobiles, possibly the most dangerous thing any of us do!) in life, the beach, the gators, walking the dog without a mask, and I say, everyone should do exactly what makes THEM comfortable in their retirement life. But if you are not a cruiser, or not a scuba diver, or a cyclist, or a mountain climber, then why even get on TOTV's, or FB, or other, and RANT about something you have never done and would never do ? Have cousin who does that, nothing could get her to take an ocean cruise, fine, great, but she HAS to constantly rant about those "floating petri dishes", why ? Does she have some kind of strange emotional reaction deep inside herself, that she secretly wishes she was not so afraid to travel ? Who knows ? Makes you wonder why people feel COMPELLED to make some kind of negative comment on something they have no interest in. I have relatives here who sky dive at a nearby sky diving club, I have NO interest in it, they both love it (never did it before retirement), but I don't feel a compelling NEED to make negative comments about their new hobby ! It's people, the world is full of a WIDE RANGE of people who operate out of drives we will never even know ! Wouldn't you LOVE to know the actual number of people in the world who died of Covid on a cruise ship on any one day, compared to the number who slipped in the shower of bath in their home and the very same day, and died of a brain injury ????
Old 04-06-2022, 08:49 PM

I respectfully disagree. I was on a cruise in November out of Tampa and they had a section that was blocked off with tape and there were little tables set outside the rooms in that area for people who were quarantined. Initially there were no little tables outside the rooms, as the cruise went on there were more and more rooms in that area with small tables outside the rooms as more individuals went into quarantine. Cruise cabins are small. When you are quarantined you must stay in that small cabin. That is a difference between getting sick on land and catching a contagious illness on a cruise ship. Also rates of Covid look low in the US right now. But keep in mind that public funding for testing has ended. So many people are testing at home with store bought kits and those numbers are not getting reported. Also because funding for testing has ended many people who are not financially able to pay for testing are just not being counted in the covid numbers. I love cruising but it is not without risks. Cruise ships have long enclosed spaces and people are close together. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to take a cruise and who has looked at the facts the chance to go. I think you should not sugar coat it. Being in an enclosed space with a large number of people for days at a time is a risk. Also, know up front that if you become ill you will be quarantined to a small cabin that is probably less than 170 sq feet and may not have a window. No vaccine is 100 percent effective. Viral load is an important factor. If you go to an indoor event where people are singing a long and not wearing masks the viral load is high and vaccinated or not you run a higher risk of getting the virus than you do if you are out doors or going to the store with a mask on.
Old 04-06-2022, 08:53 PM
Default No vaccine is 100% effective so why do you say the CDC lied?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyb View Post
That’s because several ships with 100% vaccinated passengers had outbreaks of COV!D. The CDC has lied to Americans since the beginning.
No vaccine is 100% effective. So why are you saying the CDC lied?
Old 04-07-2022, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifred View Post
No vaccine is 100% effective. So why are you saying the CDC lied?
No one ever complained that the vaccine wasn't 100% effective. That was clear from the start.

The complaint was (and is) that the CDC said that the vaccine would PREVENT you from getting Covid 95% (or so) of the time.

THEN, they pivoted and said, "We never said that, we only said the vaccine would prevent you from going to the hospital and getting really sick if you contracted Covid"...

THAT was the lie...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-07-2022, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Who reports who gets what and when from the shoulder to shoulder packed sporting events?
Ditto question for the hundreds of thousands in airports and then on shoulder to shoulder proximity in the flying tube/incubator?

I know some will go into discussion mode why cruise ships are different....I got it.

Cruise ships are just one set of parameters when measuring results and should not be singled out as a general condition.

The cruise lines are doing what needs to be done if infections are "discovered".
What are the other EVENTS doing? For the most part nothing, hence we know nothing and that seems to be acceptable?

Funny how that distortion works!!
Old 04-07-2022, 10:23 AM

Does anyone actually listen or believe anything CDC says?
Old 04-07-2022, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Yet ships continue to have lots of cases. No thanks
Ships that report illness usually report it on multiple passengers. When one person who contracted the flu yesterday, comes on board today and gets sick with symptoms tomorrow, it's VERY likely that a lot of other people will be getting sick on the ship that week.

It's the nature of the business, when you have a lot of people in a confined space, even if that "confined" space is the length of three football fields. They all climb the same stairways and share the same elevators for every meal afterall.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

A lot of folks take cruises because they enjoy gambling on the cruises (besides gorging themselves on the abundance of food available.) So, why worry about catching an illness on a ship? After all, gamblers will be gamblers so why worry? Be happy. Personally, I don't and probably won't ever take a cruise. I've had my share in the military and have also traveled to other countries, so I am content on staying in the good old U.S. of A. But, I have plenty of friends and family that enjoy cruises and I am happy for them. I know one person in the family that has come home from a cruise EVERY time with some form of illness. That is until recently, when he bragged that he was home and healthy, not ill.
As for the poster that said that shopping at Publix is just as much chance of catching Covid, I don't believe that. I have been doing ALL the shopping since covid and I didn't catch Covid until someone in the neighborhood had what they thought was a cold and passed it on playing cards. I had my shots and infection was mild, less than having a common cold.
No use arguing on the merits or warnings of taking a cruise, because there is ALWAYS a chance to catch something when taking one. But, why worry about the percentage of chance if you really enjoy it. Kind of like riding a motorcycle. Everyone knows it is more dangerous than driving a car, but the fun factor is more important to some than the risk factor.
Don't worry, be happy!
Old 04-08-2022, 07:47 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
Does anyone actually listen or believe anything CDC says?
Not anymore.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, warning, travelers, risk, contracting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.