Cruise Gratuities – Guide to Tipping on a Cruise Ship

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2023, 11:28 AM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Cruise Gratuities – Guide to Tipping on a Cruise Ship

Cruise Gratuities – Guide to Tipping on a Cruise Ship

Here's everything you need to know about cruise gratuities, with an ultimate guide covering how it all works.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
www.omnitours.travel
Have you ever thought about a River Cruise? Click below for our River Cruise Website:
www.vikingrivercruises.com/myagent/omnitours
Old 02-21-2023, 11:35 AM

Huge turn off for me. Pay your workers a living wage and ditch the tips.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

We always use the "automatic" approach: 14% (last RCCL cruise, anyway) added to our bill.

But we also tip extra for "above and beyond". RCCL has "my time dining" option in their main dining room which means (usually) the same waiter and assistant for dinner each night. For a longer cruise (8 days plus) we tip $50 for the waiter, a bit less for the assistant, always in an envelope with the crew member's name, and hand-delivered. Same for the cabin steward. I've also found that a supply of $2 bills given to the bartender as a tip (not supposed to, I know, but they've never turned one down) ensures prompt service AND generous pours.

We always try to get to know our service people by name, and to show a personal interest in them and their lives. All too often cruise customers neglect this: they may pay bottom dollar for an inside cabin on the third deck and then expect to be treated like Caledon Hockley on the Titanic, and when they're not they can turn into absolute martinets insofar as how they deal with crew members.

Lastly: RCCL encourages passengers to fill out feedback forms on their staff people, and these mean a lot: they do get read by the higher-ups and good reviews can lead to promotions, raises, etc. Bad ones can lead to demotion or termination. I've always lived by "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all". I WILL speak to someone's supervisor for shoddy or otherwise lacking service.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Very easy to use the auto tips billed to our account and if warranted cash the last night.
Old 02-21-2023, 01:45 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Tips are added to the price of the cruise @18 percent, and evidently many cruisers have obviously stiffed the Crew in the past !
I still present a generous envelope to my Dinner Server(suggested 100.00min) and Room attendant( 75.00) . also dropping a five dollar tip to a bartender can go a long way

Last edited by RICH1; 02-21-2023 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
We always use the "automatic" approach: 14% (last RCCL cruise, anyway) added to our bill.

But we also tip extra for "above and beyond". RCCL has "my time dining" option in their main dining room which means (usually) the same waiter and assistant for dinner each night. For a longer cruise (8 days plus) we tip $50 for the waiter, a bit less for the assistant, always in an envelope with the crew member's name, and hand-delivered. Same for the cabin steward. I've also found that a supply of $2 bills given to the bartender as a tip (not supposed to, I know, but they've never turned one down) ensures prompt service AND generous pours.

We always try to get to know our service people by name, and to show a personal interest in them and their lives. All too often cruise customers neglect this: they may pay bottom dollar for an inside cabin on the third deck and then expect to be treated like Caledon Hockley on the Titanic, and when they're not they can turn into absolute martinets insofar as how they deal with crew members.

Lastly: RCCL encourages passengers to fill out feedback forms on their staff people, and these mean a lot: they do get read by the higher-ups and good reviews can lead to promotions, raises, etc. Bad ones can lead to demotion or termination. I've always lived by "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all". I WILL speak to someone's supervisor for shoddy or otherwise lacking service.
Shouldn't ALL passengers be treated like Caledon Hockley regardless of their room rate
Old 02-21-2023, 03:23 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

"forced gratuities" are not tips at all. They are just a way for the cruise line to make your per day cost seem less than they actually are.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 02-21-2023, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,738 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
"forced gratuities" are not tips at all. They are just a way for the cruise line to make your per day cost seem less than they actually are.
I agree. There should be no "guide to tipping". It is an insult and one reason I don't go on cruises, among some other reasons.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

At the rate tipping is going, it will soon be cheaper to buy a ship!
Old 02-21-2023, 10:25 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

Totally agree. Just a few days short of pinnacle on RCCL so you know we've been cruising since the "early days" when ALL tips were ONLY handed personally to employees. As you said, by the end of longer cruises, we knew many we came into contact with on a more personal level, so many times were able to add a personal note to the gratuity. One tip you didn't mention was one told to us by world cruises when I was a young adult, still at home, and cruising with my parents. It was a tip my husband and I, and our family, continued to follow. On the first day when settling into our cabin, we always give our attendant an upfront bonus with a hand written note, along with a small gift from our home state. Tipping will always be controversial, long ago on cruises it was made VERY clear it was completely optional, the mandatory (added to bill daily) was a later "invention"... possible due to the number of people who would walk off a three week cruise without tipping anyone. Of course the old, even valid, argument is, PAY your staff a decent wage. But, the truth is, just like in restaurants, it's probably never going to happen, so WHY PUNISH those who work so hard to give us a nice vacation, or a nice meal and good service right here in The V's. I don't see a living wage coming soon for these folks, so until then... those who can should be generous IMO ! In college I worked cleaning rooms in a motel off the interstate near the university. Few people stayed more than one night, so not like a resort. I doubt many people realize how much the $5, or even $3, left for the maid really means. Due to the type of motel where I worked, I almost never found a tip in the rooms I cleaned, but when people who were only there one night left me $5, and a few times even $10 (and back then that was a LOT of money, almost enough for a week's food for a college student (noodles, Kraft mac & cheese, etc.).... it meant so much. Now when we stay in motel chains on an auto trip, we think about those days (yes, hubby also worked cleaning rooms until he was able to find a better paying job as a dry wall (sheet rock) assistant on weekends) and wonder just how many people ever leave anything when only staying one night ?
Old 02-22-2023, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. There should be no "guide to tipping". It is an insult and one reason I don't go on cruises, among some other reasons.
We are frequent cruisers. We treat the automatic tip as part of the fare or, if you like, a tax. We do give a MODEST tip to cabin attendant and waiter at the end of the cruise as well. We get five free drinks per day so we give the bartender or server a dollar bill for each drink.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:19 AM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default No tipping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
There ARE cruise line that "require" no tipping - Virgin and Windjammer to name two. Their rates are about 50% HIGHER than the lines us commoners generally use.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

Does anyone know how much people make who work on cruise ships? I do because I had a relative whose kid worked on a larger cruise line for a couple of stints. Also, you can go out too indeed.com and see how much people make.
Tipping has got out of hand during the last couple of years while salaries have gone up quite a bit. On cruises or in restaurants on shore, I do tip the normal amount, more for certain work like haircuts. Now, when you go up to make an order, and you have to get your food when they call you, they ask for a tip, which I don’t give.
Everting you buy on the ship, like a soft drink package, you get charged an 18% gratuity. We do pay the room attendant something extra, and if a bartender makes a drink over and above the normal, I will give them something extra.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

You have to remember that the staff that caters to your every whim, by and large, come from third world countries. They work long, hard hours, seven days a week for the duration of their contract. When they have time off, they typically get some sleep, or go ashore in search of free WiFi to contact family back home. The few extra dollars put into their hand means A LOT to these folks.

What has worked well for us over the years is: on Day 1, I identify the bartender at the bar/lounge where we will typically gather with friends. I put a $20 bill in his/her hand, and say "thank you for taking care of us." I do the same for our stateroom attendant. That has always ensured we get great service during our cruise, and a few additional bucks along the way doesn't hurt. We also provide additional tips, cash directly into their hand, on the last night, including wait staff.

This is your vacation...you should budget additional tips for the people who help make it special. An extra couple hundred bucks is not going to affect your life, but it could very well brighten the day for those that labor to make your vacation memorable. We have even been on cruises where a bartender, or dining room waiter, remembered my wife and I, and our names, from previous cruises. Treat the "little people" fairly and with respect...you will be rewarded.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Totally agree. Just a few days short of pinnacle on RCCL so you know we've been cruising since the "early days" when ALL tips were ONLY handed personally to employees. As you said, by the end of longer cruises, we knew many we came into contact with on a more personal level, so many times were able to add a personal note to the gratuity. One tip you didn't mention was one told to us by world cruises when I was a young adult, still at home, and cruising with my parents. It was a tip my husband and I, and our family, continued to follow. On the first day when settling into our cabin, we always give our attendant an upfront bonus with a hand written note, along with a small gift from our home state. Tipping will always be controversial, long ago on cruises it was made VERY clear it was completely optional, the mandatory (added to bill daily) was a later "invention"... possible due to the number of people who would walk off a three week cruise without tipping anyone. Of course the old, even valid, argument is, PAY your staff a decent wage. But, the truth is, just like in restaurants, it's probably never going to happen, so WHY PUNISH those who work so hard to give us a nice vacation, or a nice meal and good service right here in The V's. I don't see a living wage coming soon for these folks, so until then... those who can should be generous IMO ! In college I worked cleaning rooms in a motel off the interstate near the university. Few people stayed more than one night, so not like a resort. I doubt many people realize how much the $5, or even $3, left for the maid really means. Due to the type of motel where I worked, I almost never found a tip in the rooms I cleaned, but when people who were only there one night left me $5, and a few times even $10 (and back then that was a LOT of money, almost enough for a week's food for a college student (noodles, Kraft mac & cheese, etc.).... it meant so much. Now when we stay in motel chains on an auto trip, we think about those days (yes, hubby also worked cleaning rooms until he was able to find a better paying job as a dry wall (sheet rock) assistant on weekends) and wonder just how many people ever leave anything when only staying one night ?
We are frequent cruisers who have never seen the need to bribe a cabin attendant for good service.

We learn their name and talk to them and always say please and thank you. At the end of the cruise they get the auto tip and a bonus if deserved.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, gratuities, guide, ship, tipping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.