What Is the Port Side and Why Is it Called That?

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2023, 04:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default What Is the Port Side and Why Is it Called That?

If you’ve been on a cruise, you’ve probably heard the term port side. But what is the port side? Find out in this article.
CLICK HERE
www.omnitours.travel
Have you ever thought about a River Cruise? Click below for our River Cruise Website:
www.vikingrivercruises.com/myagent/omnitours
Old 03-07-2023, 06:13 PM

In the early days of boating, before ships had rudders on their centerlines, boats were controlled using a steering oar. Most sailors were right handed, so the steering oar was placed over or through the right side of the stern. Sailors began calling the right side the steering side, which soon became "starboard" by combining two Old English words: stéor (meaning "steer") and bord (meaning "the side of a boat").

As the size of boats grew, so did the steering oar, making it much easier to tie a boat up to a dock on the side opposite the oar. This side became known as larboard, or "the loading side." Over time, larboard—too easily confused with starboard—was replaced with port. After all, this was the side that faced the port, allowing supplies to be ported aboard by porters.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:21 AM
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boffin View Post
In the early days of boating, before ships had rudders on their centerlines, boats were controlled using a steering oar. Most sailors were right handed, so the steering oar was placed over or through the right side of the stern. Sailors began calling the right side the steering side, which soon became "starboard" by combining two Old English words: stéor (meaning "steer") and bord (meaning "the side of a boat").

As the size of boats grew, so did the steering oar, making it much easier to tie a boat up to a dock on the side opposite the oar. This side became known as larboard, or "the loading side." Over time, larboard—too easily confused with starboard—was replaced with port. After all, this was the side that faced the port, allowing supplies to be ported aboard by porters.
Way cool!
Thanks for the historical clarification. I've been a motor-type of boater for about 65 years and I know the difference between port and starboard, but never knew the origins of the terms.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:21 AM
Default Port side

I remember the PORT side being on the LEFT side of the boat. 4 letters in each word so it's easy for me to remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniTours View Post

If you’ve been on a cruise, you’ve probably heard the term port side. But what is the port side? Find out in this article.
CLICK HERE
Old 03-08-2023, 09:12 AM

Now that you know that do you know what the term POSH means and where it came from? The term is used when something is high end or top level.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:34 AM
Gold member

When leaving England for America you wanted to be on the PORT side so you can get the sun into your cabin. When returning to England from America you want the STARBOARD side again so that same sun enters your porthole or large window. So it's PORT OUT STARBOARD HOME = POSH
Old 03-08-2023, 09:35 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
Now that you know that do you know what the term POSH means and where it came from? The term is used when something is high end or top level.
When leaving England for America you wanted to be on the PORT side so you can get the sun into your cabin. When returning to England from America you want the STARBOARD side again so that same sun enters your porthole or large window. So it's PORT OUT STARBOARD HOME = POSH
Old 03-08-2023, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
It is often said to refer to the voyage from England to India, when you wanted to be on the non-sunny side both ways because of the absence of air-conditioning, but there is no proof of this.

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 03-08-2023 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:05 PM

I know the term "red right returning" for boating. All I remember is that you kept the red light on your right when returning to harbor. Is that correct? If not, someone remind me.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 03-08-2023, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,134 Times in 814 Posts

Port side and Starboard side, green, red, also is good to know navigating past buoys in a channel.
Old 03-08-2023, 02:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Port side and Starboard side, green, red, also is good to know navigating past buoys in a channel.
why is it a buoy , and not a she or a girl??? all my cars i ever had are girls. just asking.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Schultz View Post
I know the term "red right returning" for boating. All I remember is that you kept the red light on your right when returning to harbor. Is that correct? If not, someone remind me.
On this side of the Pond, yes. The opposite applies in Europe and in most places outside of the Americas.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
why is it a buoy , and not a she or a girl??? all my cars i ever had are girls. just asking.
It's called a buoy because it's buoyant.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:44 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,250 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
On this side of the Pond, yes. The opposite applies in Europe and in most places outside of the Americas.
Actually there is an international agreement that sets the navigation lighting standard for all maritime vessels. Imagine the confusion that would exist in international waters if there was not a consistent standard. Same applies to aircraft by the way.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-08-2023, 10:36 PM

Since we are talking nautical terms, any prior Navy guys want to explain where the term, "the smoking lamp is lit" came from? I had it explained once from a buddy who had been in the Navy, but he might have been pulling my leg.

GCM
Closed Thread

Tags
port, side, called, you’ve, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.